Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Yeah it was crazy seeing his powers evaporate in real time. Just 6 months later when G-Unit dropped that weak ass single with the auto-tune you just knew it was CURTAINS. I Get Money gave him some extra juice but it was definitely over.

Yeah, I Get Money single handedly garnered him the top spot as king of NY that year. That shyt was a triumphant comeback after looking anemic.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
At this point I wholeheartedly expect to see Troy Ave as the king of 2010
:heh:
Troy Ave wasn’t on yet he was an unheard of mixtape rapper

Tbh he was just an old guard and Hot 97 darling and he had one hot song in 2014/15

He was controversial and tried to create a movement on that “restoring the feeling” tip

Talked about way more on message boards than he was irl :heh:

Nicki Minaj will probably be queen 2010

Last edited:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

Tbh he was just an old guard and Hot 97 darling and he had one hot song in 2014/15

He was controversial and tried to create a movement on that “restoring the feeling” tip

Oh yea it’s definitely gonna be Nicki. shyt she should get most of the decade. Rocky gonna get a couple of those years tho along with Cardi prolly getting one

But with the way this going Chinx Drugs (RIP) might get a mention
:heh:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718

Troy Ave and his 50 Cent cosplay...man that shyt was so wakc :mjlol: NY tastemakers were pushing so much bullshyt in the late 00s/early 10s like him, Ron Browz and Red Cafe

I'll never forget him catching feelings about Joey Bada$$'s comments about having way more buzz but not getting love from Hot 97 and dropped a diss where his only ammo was mocking a suicide that was three years old by that point :mjlol: And all the goofies desperate for an NY savior were trying to hype him up

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I told you this shyt was gonna get goofy lol

Look that king of ny shyt comes with a lot of criteria and respect and honestly that crown was more vacant than anything after 03

It’s mostly just Hov and Big historically that fit the criteria with Nas and 50 contending a few years

Everyone else wasn’t really looked upon as being a king who could dictate the city’s sound AND get respect outside

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Troy Ave and his 50 Cent cosplay...man that shyt was so wakc :mjlol: NY tastemakers were pushing so much bullshyt in the late 00s/early 10s like him, Ron Browz and Red Cafe

I'll never forget him catching feelings about Joey Bada$$'s comments about having way more buzz but not getting love from Hot 97 and dropped a diss where his only ammo was mocking a suicide that was three years old by that point :mjlol: And all the goofies desperate for an NY savior were trying to hype him up
I don’t get the Troy Ave slander. He restored the feeling
:troll:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I told you this shyt was gonna get goofy lol

Look that king of ny shyt comes with a lot of criteria and respect and honestly that crown was more vacant than anything after 03

It’s mostly just Hov and Big historically that fit the criteria with Nas and 50 contending a few years

Everyone else wasn’t really looked upon as being a king who could dictate the city’s sound AND get respect outside
Yea I don’t see how you can do this for every year. Realistically there’s only a handful at best who were worthy of that title