Meccapolis ranks “Kings Of New York” from 1985 to 2024

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Forgot about that run. I could see Rocky getting 2013 easily. Hov will probably get 2012 off Watch The Throne.
That would be 2011 it came out that summer and some of the singles came out Q1 it was a monster album that trickled into 2012 for sure though

I’d give French 2012. Mac & Cheese 3, Coke Boyz 3, Shot Caller, Pop That, Stay Schemin, Ain’t Worried About Nun he was on one, city wearing Coke Boyz tees, everyone screaming “haaannnnn ju heard”. :wow:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I know picking a king each year is for engagement purposes. But if we gonna keep it a buck Jay was the king the moment Vol. 2 dropped up until his “retirement” and 50 became 50s time. Then Jay came back and took the crown back and he’s been the king ever since
:hubie:

You can’t be King publicly and irrevocably losing the biggest battle in NY history.

Nas definitely took that crown in 02. Then Jay “retired” came back and took it back in 09

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
I'm really interested to see if they're gonna have 6ix9ine on this list at some point, technically he was the biggest name in the city along with Cardi 2017-18..the fukkery that would come with that :mjlol:

Last edited:

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
I'm really interested to see if there gonna have 6ix9ine on this list at some point, technically he was the biggest name in the city along with Cardi 2017-18..the fukkery than would come with that :mjlol:
He should definitely get '18
I actually lived in NY at the time, cars everywhere was playing that stupid shyt

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
You can’t be King publicly and irrevocably losing the biggest battle in NY history.

Nas definitely took that crown in 02. Then Jay “retired” came back and took it back in 09
Imo i dont think that was enough to lose the crown. I think Nas edged him but Takeover is a classic in its own right. I think Nas won but it was pretty even and cemented both their legacies. If anything it proved Nas was one of the goats. To this day I think they are the two best ever but imo it helped Nas more than it hurt Jay

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
That would be 2011 it came out that summer and some of the singles came out Q1 it was a monster album that trickled into 2012 for sure though

I’d give French 2012. Mac & Cheese 3, Coke Boyz 3, Shot Caller, Pop That, Stay Schemin, Ain’t Worried About Nun he was on one, city wearing Coke Boyz tees, everyone screaming “haaannnnn ju heard”. :wow:

Coke Boyz 3/MC3 era was when he really popped. I seen him and chinx out on the west coast live during the time and shyt was packed out turned up. You could feel it.

I think Diddy put the battery in his back at the time; pause.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
But number 87 in the NY top Mc's list...

You cant make this nonsense up

Yea max was never the king of nothing and he's in my top 5.

I've gone back and forth with posters on here how Max and French were actually received in real time. some people are in denile about.

People use to clown on us for listening to Max..... :hubie:

That drunk crooning shyt was not well received at all by a lot of the old heads.

He wasn't even considered a "rapper" by all those guys.

Everyone hated on French who was a max fan and skipped his verses saying he ruining all of bigga's shyt :mjlol:

Jim jones and gang was on max's head.

Breh mighta been the king of Bridgeport or Poughkippsie or some shyt.....but the king of NYC I don't remember that :lolbron:

Its dope 2 see him get some love tho; 2 bad it took forever and a day later for people to give him props.

but he's getting them rotting in a cell not making a dime off it.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Imo i dont think that was enough to lose the crown. I think Nas edged him but Takeover is a classic in its own right. I think Nas won but it was pretty even and cemented both their legacies. If anything it proved Nas was one of the goats. To this day I think they are the two best ever but imo it helped Nas more than it hurt Jay

That shyt was far from even. It was Nas in a landslide and Jay lost that untouchable aura he had from 98-01, BP2 being horseshyt did nothing to help his cause either.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

This sound “even” to you?