MC Hammer is the hero we didn't deserve.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
C+C Music Factory was definitely NJS because it combines hip hop and R&B which is what NJS was. In an earlier post I noted that most of it was garbage outside of a handful of acts like Guy and Keith Sweat. New Edition and their splinter groups can be included in that. Jodeci came out at the very end of that era so their first album had elements on certain songs. Their last two albums were also much better

This was NOT NJS

It was more House/Electronica Dance music than anything.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I didn't see a die off in R&B until the 2000s like I said, too many solid R&B groups came out in the mid 90s and had success.
Hell Next and Debroah Cox had success in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Its hard for me to pinpoint, but the drop off imo came around 2k5 I want to say with Chris Brown.

I`m not saying R&B died, I'm saying it was no longer trying to be in the avenue of Dance music.

B2M Motown Philly is a straight NJS Dance song, but how many dance songs did they have after that first album?

The first Jodeci Album was a NJS swing album also.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
NJS was the Teddy Riley sound no more no less. Everybody bit it and it got played out in addition to the fact that young people’s taste changed. Consciousness was at the forefront and the Rodney King situation pushed it further. That gangsta shyt and the keep it real era didn’t really start on a national level till after the Chronic dropped. And yes the Rodney King shyt is highlighted on that album. By that time NJS was dead anyway
You are wrong. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were New Jack Swing as well and to be talking about NJS you really should know that.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Rodney King happened in 92, and R Kelly dropped Vibe in 92 which was a big NJS track lol also MJ dropped Jam in 91 which was HUGE.
Born into the 90s dropped at the very beginning of 92 so you know it was recorded in 91. Notice 12 Play sounded totoally different. 91 was the last strong year of that era. Even Teddy Riley himself switched his sound up in 92 when Rumpshaker dropped

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
You are wrong. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were New Jack Swing as well and to be talking about NJS you really should know that.
No they weren’t. They were an extension of Prince style production more than anything else.Those weren’t hip hop beats. Did you forget Teddy Riley started out as a hip hop producer? That’s why him producing Keith Sweat and Guy was so revolutionary

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I`m not saying R&B died, I'm saying it was no longer trying to be in the avenue of Dance music.

B2M Motown Philly is a straight NJS Dance song, but how many dance songs did they have after that first album?

The first Jodeci Album was a NJS swing album also.
I'm not saying you said R&B dies, I guess I'm more talking about the emphaiss in singing than in beats and production.

I agree MoTown philly was NJS.
II was pure R&B and to me was the death of the NJS sound, and that was what 93 or 94.
Hell by that time even Devante had come into his own style fully with Diary of a Mad Band and The Show, AFter Party.. which I think is what set the current format for what R&B is today IMO

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Born into the 90s dropped at the very beginning of 92 so you know it was recorded in 91. Notice 12 Play sounded totoally different. 91 was the last strong year of that era. Even Teddy Riley himself switched his sound up in 92 when Rumpshaker dropped

Chronic dropped in 92 also (end of it but still). So called "conscious" rappers wanted to diss NJS but wanted no smoke with Gangsta Rap which by that point was no longer really about being a "voice of the streets" but more so was white people capitalizing on black pain.

The irony is all these so called "real dudes" were bankrolled and controlled by white people but had the nerve to diss other blacks doing something positive.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm not saying you said R&B dies, I guess I'm more talking about the emphaiss in singing than in beats and production.

I agree MoTown philly was NJS.
II was pure R&B and to me was the death of the NJS sound, and that was what 93 or 94.
Hell by that time even Devante had come into his own style fully with Diary of a Mad Band and The Show, AFter Party.. which I think is what set the current format for what R&B is today IMO

by then Jodeci were also considered the "gangstas of R&B" too. Like I Said before NJS died because everyone wanted to be "Gangsta". Even the Afro Centric movement died because of it.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Chronic dropped in 92 also (end of it but still). So called "conscious" rappers wanted to diss NJS but wanted no smoke with Gangsta Rap which by that point was no longer really about being a "voice of the streets" but more so was white people capitalizing on black pain.

The irony is all these so called "real dudes" were bankrolled and controlled by white people but had the nerve to diss other blacks doing something positive.
Thing is the Chronic has elements of consciousness on it too. The media labeled it Gangsta rap. There was a time when if you asked the rappers themselves they said it was reality rap. The only real gangsta rappers were Schooly D and Ice T. NWA didn’t fully hop on that wave till their second album. The biggest rappers in the game at the time were PE and Cube and they dissed NJS. Check out that Howard thread and listen to who those kids were listening to in 92

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Breh made music for the kids during a time where Crack and Gang violence were in doing a number on America.

Breh went broke putting his people on and giving them jobs to support their families.

One of the greatest dancers of all time.
source.gif

Gave us blassics like

And we turned our backs on that man
:mjcry:

You're right breh, he's still the g.o.a.t. for me:mjcry:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
No they weren’t. They were an extension of Prince style production more than anything else.Those weren’t hip hop beats. Did you forget Teddy Riley started out as a hip hop producer? That’s why him producing Keith Sweat and Guy was so revolutionary
They wre from the Prince camp but the two made new jack swing just like Teddy.
rhythm nation was a njs album. Listen to Rhythm nation and Love will never do without you. Hell even Micheal got in on njs in getting Riley to help him make Remember the time.

Teddy Riley started out doing R&B, he did "just got paid" , keith sweat's I want it and and Bobby Brown's my perrogative.
You have your timeline mixed up.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Thing is the Chronic has elements of consciousness on it too. The media labeled it Gangsta rap. There was a time when if you asked the rappers themselves they said it was reality rap. The only real gangsta rappers were Schooly D and Ice T. NWA didn’t fully hop on that wave till their second album. The biggest rappers in the game at the time were PE and Cube and they dissed NJS. Check out that Howard thread and listen to who those kids were listening to in 92

Most Gangsta Rap started out as "Reality rap" and Story telling but like I said before dudes got that paper and sold the hell out worse than Hammer ever did. PE had fell off by 93/94 and the only one who stayed solid at a national level was Cube and then he eventually decided to do the Movie thing more, and from what I remember of his stuff in the mid to late 90s he fully embraced the negative elements of Gangsta rap.

by 95/96 Rap music in general started to go down that path of glorifying the worst things about black society vs telling the stories of these things and putting context on why it happens (like Gangsta Rap initially started off as).

NWA had skits about kid napping chicks and putting them in the trunk and crap :francis:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
They wre from the Prince camp but the two made new jack swing just like Teddy.
rhythm nation was a njs album. Listen to Rhythm nation and Love will never do without you. Hell even Micheal got in on njs in getting Riley to help him make Remember the time.

Teddy Riley started out doing R&B, he did "just got paid" , keith sweat's I want it and and Bobby Brown's my perrogative.
You have your timeline mixed up.

That whole Dangerous album was Mikes take on NJS and it was a damn good album