MC Hammer is the hero we didn't deserve.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Nostalgia is a bytch. People be remembering the classics but forget that the majority of New Jack Swing was shyt like Johnny Kemp, C+C Music Factory, Black Box, Marky Mark, Candyman, MC Brains, Father MC, etc. You can damn near lump Milli Vanilli in with that group too. There’s a reason that by the time that was over with they y’all about how strong R&B was in the 90s. That little period from 89-91 was kinda wack breh

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I can't front OP

All that "Keep it real" shyt is hollow than the mufhugger when you see how much destruction it has caused and is still causing.

What's the point of ANYTHING that doesn't have actual benefits? If it's all drawbacks then ITS A BAD IDEA.

Sure Hammer wasn't as ill as Sticky Fingas, but I doubt anyone ever took a swing at a niqqa cause a Hammer song came on.

I can appreciate your case. I won't listen to Hammer instead of Onyx in the future, but I understand.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Nostalgia is a bytch. People be remembering the classics but forget that the majority of New Jack Swing was shyt like Johnny Kemp, C+C Music Factory, Black Box, Marky Mark, Candyman, MC Brains, Father MC, etc. You can damn near lump Milli Vanilli in with that group too. There’s a reason that by the time that was over with they y’all about how strong R&B was in the 90s. That little period from 89-91 was kinda wack breh

You drunk breh

The only cats who hated new jack swing where dudes who couldnt dance. NJS was straight dance music just like house music is. NJS died because people wanted to he too hard. NJS died and gangsta rap and the “slut em out” music took over.

New jack swing and Conscious rap was a perfect balance. Something to ride to and when its time to party something to dance to and get phone numbers

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
You drunk breh

The only cats who hated new jack swing where dudes who couldnt dance. NJS was straight dance music just like house music is. NJS died because people wanted to he too hard. NJS died and gangsta rap and the “slut em out” music took over.

New jack swing and Conscious rap was a perfect balance. Something to ride to and when its time to party something to dance to and get phone numbers
Old heads didn’t like it at all. It wasn’t true R&B. Conscious rappers were dissing NJS in real time. All that party shyt was on its way out which led to people like LL having to make Mama Said Knock You Out in the first place. Kid N Play fell off for the same reasons Hammer did. The Rodney King shyt was the nail in the coffin. How old are you again breh? I know nostalgia from that period is high right now

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Old heads didn’t like it at all. It wasn’t true R&B. Conscious rappers were dissing NJS in real time. All that party shyt was on its way out which led to people like LL having to make Mama Said Knock You Out in the first place. Kid N Play fell off for the same reasons Hammer did. The Rodney King shyt was the nail in the coffin. How old are you again breh? I know nostalgia from that period is high right now

NJS was a hybrid form. It mixed R&B, Jazz (live instrumentation), and Modern Hip Hop.

Its no diff than Go go where someone could rap or sing on the track.

And NJS swing was straight party music Rodney king is a non factor because black people were still partying throughout all of this stuff. NJS swing dying lead to Party music and R&B becoming more vulgar so if anything the so called “conscious” artist made themselves look dumb dissing NJS because concious rap died and music went completely down the drain.

Dudes disses Dance music about love and positivity but got replaced by music glorifying destroyig other blacks. Lol when being “woke” goes wrong.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Marky mark wasn't new jack swing.
Milli Vanlli wasn't new jack swing
C+C Music Factory wasn't new Jack swing

I believe you and I are the same age, but it seems like you don't know what new jack swing sound was.
Hi-Five, Troop, Jodeci, Guy, Janet Jackson, Keith Sweat, New Edition (and spliter groups), Johnny Kemp actually was new jack, Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown all used the new jack swing style.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
NJS was a hybrid form. It mixed R&B, Jazz (live instrumentation), and Modern Hip Hop.

And NJS swing was straight party music Rodney king is a non factor because black people were still partying throughout all of this stuff. NJS swing dying lead to Party music and R&B becoming more vulgar so if anything the so called “conscious” artist made themselves look dumb dissing NJS because concious rap died and music went completely down the drain.

Dudes disses Dance music about love and positivity but got replaced by music glorifying destroyig other blacks. Lol when being “woke” goes wrong.
R&B didn't get more vulger after new jack died.
There was a nice R&B return that Boyz 2 Men, AFter 7, Az Yet, TLC and others I'm forgetting about brought back.
I'd say R&B really died after 2005 when folks stopped even trying to sing and just started moaning and whining on tracks, but when you look back thats the same shyt Keith Sweat was doing, just with no ability to be subtle

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

I believe you and I are the same age, but it seems like you don't know what new jack swing sound was.
Hi-Five, Troop, Jodeci, Guy, Janet Jackson, Keith Sweat, New Edition (and spliter groups), Johnny Kemp actually was new jack, Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown all used the new jack swing style.

Exactly lol C+C was house music.

And then other cats didnt have any NJS tracks. Thats like saying Vanilla Ice was a NJS artist. Janet Jacksons Rhythm Nation album was a NJS album and is nothing like the stuff breh is trying to use to slander it

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
R&B didn't get more vulger after new jack died.
There was a nice R&B return that Boyz 2 Men, AFter 7, Az Yet, TLC and others I'm forgetting about brought back.
I'd say R&B really died after 2005 when folks stopped even trying to sing and just started moaning and whining on tracks, but when you look back thats the same shyt Keith Sweat was doing, just with no ability to be subtle

Around 94/95 the “gangsta R&B” thing started to become a thing, the music wasnt degrading women yet but it became more explicit (not really a bad thing per say). Even then there was still balance but the dance (as in playing RnB in club or a party and people can get hype from it) element of R&B began to die off.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

NJS was the Teddy Riley sound no more no less. Everybody bit it and it got played out in addition to the fact that young people’s taste changed. Consciousness was at the forefront and the Rodney King situation pushed it further. That gangsta shyt and the keep it real era didn’t really start on a national level till after the Chronic dropped. And yes the Rodney King shyt is highlighted on that album. By that time NJS was dead anyway

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
NJS was the Teddy Riley sound no more no less. Everybody bit it and it got played out in addition to the fact that young people’s taste changed. Consciousness was at the forefront and the Rodney King situation pushed it further. That gangsta shyt and the keep it real era didn’t really start on a national level till after the Chronic dropped. And yes the Rodney King shyt is highlighted on that album. By that time NJS was dead anyway

Rodney King happened in 92, and R Kelly dropped Vibe in 92 which was a big NJS track lol also MJ dropped Jam in 91 which was HUGE.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

C+C Music Factory was definitely NJS because it combines hip hop and R&B which is what NJS was. In an earlier post I noted that most of it was garbage outside of a handful of acts like Guy and Keith Sweat. New Edition and their splinter groups can be included in that. Jodeci came out at the very end of that era so their first album had elements on certain songs. Their last two albums were also much better

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Around 94/95 the “gangsta R&B” thing started to become a thing, the music wasnt degrading women yet but it became more explicit (not really a bad thing per say). Even then there was still balance but the dance (as in playing RnB in club or a party and people can get hype from it) element of R&B began to die off.
I didn't see a die off in R&B until the 2000s like I said, too many solid R&B groups came out in the mid 90s and had success.
Hell Next and Debroah Cox had success in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Its hard for me to pinpoint, but the drop off imo came around 2k5 I want to say with Chris Brown.