MC Hammer is the hero we didn't deserve.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I never understood the hate for him. I mean, that kfc commercial, yeah. But man put people on. That’s the definition of building. It’s unfortunate his people were how they were though. Makes it harder for him in the long run
His first album was well respected. But he deliberately crossed over with his second and remember there was a huge anti pop sentiment in hip hop back then. He basically got too big. I was a MC Hammer fan as a kid but I’ll admit by the time his third album dropped he seemed real corny to me

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I was a hip hop fan that never had a problem with Hammer. People (other rapers) hated because he was getting paid. Dude didn’t sell out or switch up, he was just an elaborate ass dancing dude. Too Short said even before Hammer was known he had an entourage.
I fukked with hammer but looking back at it he was doing too much. Anybody That’s all over the place like that begin to get hated on eventually.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
His first album was well respected. But he deliberately crossed over with his second and remember there was a huge anti pop sentiment in hip hop back then. He basically got too big. I was a MC Hammer fan as a kid but I’ll admit by the time his third album dropped he seemed real corny to me
It’s all a business anyways. I could see why he would move that way too given his financial situation.

I agree that he probably got too big too fast

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
As a kid in the 90s I never understood why Hammer got a lot of hate. People talked shyt about him doing a KFC commercial but at that time you had rappers doing St. Ides commercials. Hammer was actually more real and thorough than his critics in hip hop back in the day. :mjpls:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If you weren’t around back in the early 90s you wouldn’t understand... back then selling out in hip-hop was frowned upon unlike today... and the average hip-hop listener back then wasn’t having it...

Hammer was samb0 and c00ning when he made that video with those ridiculous pants... that song and video was Hammer’s crossover into the white audience... back then that would have been considered wack...

And coupled with the KFC commercial...
Pure bullshyt

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The problems were:

1. He jumped out the window dissing legends for no reason
2. He was mediocre to wack

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Mc Hammer was a Bay Area legend . To come out of Oakland during the height of the crack era to make positive music you can move to was ahead of it's time. He was the first rapper to negotiate a lucrative deal with a record company and one of the first to crossover into advertising and entertainment. I loved his cartoon show as a shorty.

And you knew you can get a workout at his concerts :whew:

His VH1 Documentary is worth a look.

Let’s expand this to all MC Hammer related acts.

Remember this one?

This was my shyt

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Chronic dropped in 92 also (end of it but still). So called "conscious" rappers wanted to diss NJS but wanted no smoke with Gangsta Rap which by that point was no longer really about being a "voice of the streets" but more so was white people capitalizing on black pain.

The irony is all these so called "real dudes" were bankrolled and controlled by white people but had the nerve to diss other blacks doing something positive.

And You see threads dissing those old school pro black groups or anything with positivity. I wouldnt even be surprised to hear them older gangsta rap dudes talking about COINTELPRO being in Hip Hop to disfuse positivity and knowledge as a whole.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Most Gangsta Rap started out as "Reality rap" and Story telling but like I said before dudes got that paper and sold the hell out worse than Hammer ever did. PE had fell off by 93/94 and the only one who stayed solid at a national level was Cube and then he eventually decided to do the Movie thing more, and from what I remember of his stuff in the mid to late 90s he fully embraced the negative elements of Gangsta rap.

by 95/96 Rap music in general started to go down that path of glorifying the worst things about black society vs telling the stories of these things and putting context on why it happens (like Gangsta Rap initially started off as).

NWA had skits about kid napping chicks and putting them in the trunk and crap :francis:

A golden post. Negativity all but took over by the Fall of 94. That was when PE fell off commercially and NJS was put in the back side.