Mayor Eric Adams on NY violence, "Where are all those who said Black lives matter?"

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The only problem I have is that when someone pulls some shyt like this, there's ALWAYS some support in the community for the one who committed the crime. There's way too many "Free Da Guys" mantras out here for people who would murder your mama for her cell phone. Too many people in denial of what their children are getting into and don't know how to remedy the situation.

Black Lives Matter being mentioned by Adams has nothing to do with why some of these areas have been dirt poor and crime ridden for 4-5 decades. He knows why. He was out on them streets. He just doesn't care. Did he really come back home from his 20th gang related case and wonder why shyt kept happening?

These labels ain't out here controlling these drill rappers. For the most part, drill doesn't even give a good ROI. That's why most of em don't get signed and stay out in the hood making sausage fest music videos.

Pop Smoke and Fivio Foreign say different. Also Labels control who gets pushes in the media, budgets, tours off of 360 deals.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
@Luke Cage
You’re wrong. Crime is up everywhere because criminals are home

Here’s the mayor of mObile actually discussing it and providing numbers

‘Criminal justice system is broken’: Mobile mayor, police chief say backlog of cases contributing to recent crime spree
He provides the number of cases that are waiting trail, but won't state specifically how many are supposedly still walking the streets. Even still, that's too simple of an explanation of the rise. Only the most hard-line anti-reform advocates are pushing that. Look at cook country for example, it faced one of the highest rises in violent crime and had a huge felony backlog, yet only released non-violent offenders to prioritize violent offenders.

Examining the Spike in Murders

These seem to be the most plausible explanations.

While experts are also divided on why murders spiked in 2020 and 2021, there are three broad explanations they typically point to:

The pandemic. Covid disrupted every aspect of life in the past two years. Social services and supports that help keep crime down vanished overnight. Schools could no longer keep unruly teens safe and distracted. A broader sense of disorder and chaos could have fueled a so-called moral holiday, in which people disregard laws and norms.

A weakness for this theory is timing: The murder spike took off in May and June 2020, months after Covid began to spread in the U.S. Other countries didn’t experience similar spikes during the pandemic.

But that doesn’t rule out the pandemic’s role. There could have been something specific to America’s pandemic response that led to more deadly violence, which could have taken months to emerge.

Changes in policing. The fallout from the 2020 racial justice protests and riots could have contributed to the murder spike. Police officers, scared of being caught in the next viral video, may have pulled back on proactive anti-violence practices. More of the public lost confidence in the police, possibly reducing the kind of cooperation needed to prevent murders. In extreme circumstances, the lack of confidence in the police could have led some people to take the law into their own hands — in acts of street or vigilante violence.

The timing supports this theory, with homicides rising unusually quickly shortly after George Floyd’s murder and the ensuing protests. Killings also spiked in 2015 and 2016, after protests over policing during those years.

More guns. Americans bought many more guns in 2020 and 2021 than they did in previous years. The guns purchased in 2020 also seemed to be used in crime more quickly than firearms bought in previous years. And Americans seemed more likely to carry guns illegally in 2020. In short: Americans had more guns, and were possibly more likely to carry and use them.

Research generally shows that where there are more guns, there is more gun violence.

These three factors could have also played into each other. The pandemic might have driven more people to violence, but the police might have been able to prevent at least some of that violence if they had remained proactive or had worked better with the public. Without so many guns, what violence did occur could have ended up less deadly.

“All three played a role,” Richard Rosenfeld, a criminologist at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, told me. “What’s difficult is to assign priority to one compared to the others.”

Yzak

All Star
Bushed
Daps
black women have an entire movement going on bringing attention to black female murders... they take it very seriously.

but when black male deaths or black children deaths come up - everyone is like "shut up c00n"

If a black man dies or a black child dies - nobody is supposed to ride for them?

I'm not understanding the energy in the thread. Why is everyone upset?
Because Black men dying are usually murdered by other Black men, and that shyt is great according to our most popular music. We've made it cool to kill Black men and be dismissive of each other's lives. Black women haven't, that's why they are starting to discuss their murder rates, but in a deceitful way which is why you will never see them discuss child abuse and how it leads to violence later in life.

I'm getting tired of the constant whining from grown ass Black men that want to maintain this ignorant culture of death that has taken over with gangster rap. Our energy is better served fixing the community and seeing each other as worthy of life than "protesting" government sanctioned killings. We can't be out here telling the world to kill nikkas cause it's cool, then turn around and ask them to care for our lives :yeshrug:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Pop Smoke and Fivio Foreign say different. Also Labels control who gets pushes in the media, budgets, tours off of 360 deals.
Even Pop Smoke wasn't drilling nearly as much when it came time for the major label debut. Fivio gets love in the hood but that hasn't translated. If it was all about push, we'd see a lot more Kendrick's and J. Cole's being emulated.

The most popular artist in NY isn't a drill rapper. He's a quasi R&B singer (A Boogie). Cardi about to put out a drill track with Kay Flock and I'm sure her label is muttering under their breath "I'd rather have another WAP than this."

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
We've made it cool to kill Black men and be dismissive of each other's lives. Black women haven't, that's why they are starting to discuss their murder rates, but in a deceitful way which is why you will never see them discuss child abuse and how it leads to violence later in life.

Excellent point.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
So basically black people cant criticize other black people publicly or they’re a c00n?

The violence is a bad look whether you speak about it publicly or in private. Not talking about it won’t make it disappear or invisible.
You right but he could’ve said what he said without bringing up BLM. When that came out , automatically got the side eye

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
It’s the uncomfortable question that we’re never wanting to answer.

Black people need to be more accountable for the violence in our own community.

Edit* BLM is more for police and white supremacy. But shouldn’t be mutually exclusive for inter-racial violence.

And should Burger King sell pizza? Fucc Scareic Adams

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:whoa: Already disclosed I'm not familiar with Adams outside of national headlines. I'll take your word he wasn't speaking in good faith. I'm still rocking with how I interpreted it, regardless of his intentions. It ain't even on some bootstrap shyt, but it's like why can't we do better? Why can't we condemn this shyt, even on a message board like Coli? And I'm setting the bar low as hell...just stop killing each other. Hustle and shyt and we'll deal with it later, but goddamn, what's with the fukking killing other brothers? If we're just a product of circumstance, as some of you seem to be suggesting, then what the hell is the point in discussing it? But brehs get painted a pariah or "c00n" as soon as we say ANYTHING.
There's a difference between condemnation and drawing a false equivalence in order to diminish something else. Or employing tropes rooted in racism. I'm not saying you're doing this. And there's nothing wrong with calling out/condemning the violence. I agree that shyt has gotten out of hand, but I don't think the solution is letting another group of wild dogs loose on the community.

Yzak

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Saying this on the day his 35,000 man police force couldn’t find a 300-pound, 60 year old mass shooter shuffling around the Village, the only point he has is that black folks are better off policing themselves than relying on his leadership.
We 100% are, but the culture needs to change before we can do that effectively

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
:comeon:Theres been "stop the violence" movements in every city all across the country for years.
:sas1:I dont they were ever funded by George Soros and received national press attention though.

:sas2: Common Sense tells you crime is linked to Poverty but blaming the poor for being poor is easier than talking about why Blue Collar jobs are gone in the hood.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
They can't deflect from police violence, unless they're a c00n yup :yeshrug:

I just wish people kept the same energy. So many black communities are fukked up. One messed up generation being passed down to the next. Gang culture he been around since the 70’s. Drugs. Violence and hood politics and evolved to the a more heartless realm.

So when cops do commit murders, society doesn’t take it as serious. If we as a people can’t take what we do in our own culture seriously, how do we expect others to take it seriously?

White peoples are desensitized to black plight because they see and hear about it every day.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Omfg he is fukking retarded black lives matter movement is fukking redundant right now...:scust: plus he's black himself you saying black people are synonymous with crime?!:what: last time I checked white people commit crime too fukking dumbass... This guy is a one trick pony jfc...

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The killings happen because of racist 20th century policies and agendas. Eric adams knows that. The question is why isn’t he proposing policy to remedy the problem instead of parroting white supremacist talking points he heard from his former race solider gang members?

Comparing street crime/criminals to police/police abuse is silly, because only oned is an official entity.

What does it even mean to hold "our own" accountable here wrt crime? What preventive measures should everyday folks take to prevent being victimized by people inside our communities?

How do law abiding citizens hold criminals accountable?

The point of police protests is to get police who kill black people put in jail

what is the goal and plan of “holding the community accountable” about crime? Is protesting going to stop crime?

There are several answers to the 'how do we hold our own accountable" question, but the one he is obviously getting at is THE PARENTS. That's why he said "why are 16, 17, and 18 year olds running around in the streets with guns at 1am?". We gotta start there. Too many parents in our community are letting their kids do whatever the fukk they want to do. Wanna hang out in the streets all hours of the night? Go ahead. Wanna drop out of school? Go right ahead. Many of the issues we have is from incompetent parenting. Too many parents wanna be their kids friends or they simply don't give a fukk.

Put pressure on the local government to address things like schooling and employment. Same way we do when a racist cop murders one of us.

We all have to know that subpar parenting is a key problem. Yes after 400 years of oppression and demonic treatment by a capitalist society, we are at a disadvantage. Black people are at a socio-econmic disadvantage as soon as they fall out the womb. But we need to stop doing sh!t that exacerbates the problem. Raise your fukkin kids. I don't know about you, but education was not an option in my household growing up. Drop out of school? I might as well have smacked my parents in the face. It would have been the same result. Hang out all hours of the night all the time? Yeah fukkin right.

Correcting this starts at home. And protests are not limited to incidents of police murdering our people. If you don't raise your kids, the streets will happily do it for you. Then it's prison or casket.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
There are several answers to the 'how do we hold our own accountable" question, but the one he is obviously getting at is THE PARENTS. That's why he said "why are 16, 17, and 18 year olds running around in the streets with guns at 1am?". We gotta start there. Too many parents in our community are letting their kids do whatever the fukk they want to do. Wanna hang out in the streets all hours of the night? Go ahead. Wanna drop out of school? Go right ahead. Many of the issues we have is from incompetent parenting. Too many parents wanna be their kids friends or they simply don't give a fukk.

Put pressure on the local government to address things like schooling and employment. Same way we do when a racist cop murders one of us.

We all have to know that subpar parenting is a key problem. Yes after 400 years of oppression and demonic treatment by a capitalist society, we are at a disadvantage. Black people are at a socio-econmic disadvantage as soon as they fall out the womb. But we need to stop doing sh!t that exacerbates the problem. Raise your fukkin kids. I don't know about you, but education was not an option in my household growing up. Drop out of school? I might as well have smacked my parents in the face. It would have been the same result. Hang out all hours of the night all the time? Yeah fukkin right.

Correcting this starts at home. And protests are not limited to incidents of police murdering our people.

church

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Correcting this starts at home. And protests are not limited to incidents of police murdering our people. If you don't raise your kids, the streets will happily do it for you. Then it's prison or casket.

how the hell is this answer to the crimes that’s being committed now

and they’re will always be bad parenting and all crime isn’t because of bad parents

what can law abiding citizens do about bad parenting?