Master of None Presents: Moments in Love (Official Season 3 Thread)

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is Dev only in episode 1? I kinda have no care for what goes on outside Dev, S1 and 2 are so classic, I can't get with this spin off. I skipped to see Dev and his new girl in Ep 1, does he pop up again?

Daps
WTF is this shyt?

tenor.gif

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Im not saying its bad...I sat through the first 3. But Wtf???? I'm on episode 4 and I don't even know what I'm watching anymore. I really wish they would have gave this a different name or something cause ive seen Aziz twice and this whole 4th episode is based on his friend's girlfriend and I don't even know her name. I guees they can go back to the Dev storyline next season but I just don't get the point or purpose of this lil mini season

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I feel that if they swapped Lena and her girl for Aziz and whatever girl, but kept the same exact premise, that this season would've received universal acclaim.

Like if Arnold had that fight with a girlfriend at Aziz's house, and Aziz's girlfriend had a miscarriage that led to an eventual divorce, people would actually be talking about that.

Needless to say, i really enjoyed this season. I personally feel that the Francesca storyline was some bullshyt, so it's nice to see them take this step creatively. It's also only like 5 episodes, each of them a different total runtime.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I feel that if they swapped Lena and her girl for Aziz and whatever girl, but kept the same exact premise, that this season would've received universal acclaim.

Like if Arnold had that fight with a girlfriend at Aziz's house, and Aziz's girlfriend had a miscarriage that led to an eventual divorce, people would actually be talking about that.

Needless to say, i really enjoyed this season. I personally feel that the Francesca storyline was some bullshyt, so it's nice to see them take this step creatively. It's also only like 5 episodes, each of them a different total runtime.
Yeah I’m kinda bummed they didn’t go that route. It felt like they were building up to this when Arnold cautioned Dev on the possibility of the Francesca love interest becoming a total shytshow.

Either way, I’m glad with what we got and this grounded aspect was much needed. I agree. Past two seasons were good but were romanticized to a point where it felt like a millenial’s fantasy. Like, I often asked myself how Dev could afford to pay NYC rent in the first season.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Finished the season.

This was season was on point for me. I had NO idea what women had to go through to get pregnant through artificial insemination. That was a crazy episode.

I hope when they inevitably come back they do hop back into Dev’s story. But I enjoyed Moments In Love for what it is. The writing was phenomenal and that chick Naomi Ackie chick is about to be a STAR.

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I couldn't get into it. Watched the first two episodes. Moves to slow and just revolves around lena's character which was never really all that interesting to me.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Im not saying its bad...I sat through the first 3. But Wtf???? I'm on episode 4 and I don't even know what I'm watching anymore. I really wish they would have gave this a different name or something cause ive seen Aziz twice and this whole 4th episode is based on his friend's girlfriend and I don't even know her name. I guees they can go back to the Dev storyline next season but I just don't get the point or purpose of this lil mini season
It's literally called Moments in Love breh

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Past two seasons were good but were romanticized to a point where it felt like a millenial’s fantasy. .

Hit the nail right on the head.

Season 1 at least covered a pretty good range of topics, but I could imagine that the writers grew fatigued after they wrapped up season two. To have the storyline so driven by that flimsy relationship that was going nowhere quick, I'm really glad that they took this detour for at least five episodes.

What I'm realizing from reading through this thread, is that Master of None sort of became an 'easy' viewing show for many people. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, however it does help make sense of the reception so far. Again, I applaud how ambitious they were in taking a shocking step away from everything that made this show so popular in the first place, and I really enjoyed the final product as well.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international

I see it as a deeply personal piece of work. The first two seasons were clearly more naive and innocent in their portrayal of romance in your 30s, while this season carries a much more somber and serious take.

As it turns out, there are, in fact, much more serious things in life other than briefly running into your ex on the street, or not being able to get with the silly Italian woman you flirt with.

Stalling careers, miscarriages, divorce, and malaise from the uncertainty of it all, are just as real as all the good times enjoyed in the first two seasons.

"We used to have it so good. Running around New York, doing whatever we wanted, having fun every day. I never realized, how good I had it."

It's a theme I've spotted a bit more recently, but it's certainly not unique to this generation. Living a decadent life, only to become burnt out. We certainly see Dev going through that, and we also see Lena's character go through that, albeit both in different ways.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that they could've kept making the same show, but these episodes demonstrate their growth as writers and people.