hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Put em there.

Better than the intermission that 2 actually is.

So okay - further alarm and galvanize the galaxy. Great plan. There's just too much wrong with 2.

"The Reapers retreat to dark space" was part of the canon before a second or third game was planned. If the Reapers can magically appear in 2 then you fall down the rabbit hole of "why was there only one in the first game?"

The Collectors didn't "alarm or galvanize" the galaxy. Outside of Cerberus most of the galaxy didn't know/give a fukk, even less so because it was just humans disappearing. After being handed an L by humans in 1 abducting/studying them made perfect sense.

Fred.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
me2 was the worst what, story?.....what?!?!?!?....i highly disagree....but i wanna hear why you think that....

He's right.

ME2 was a pointless venture, plot-wise.

Nothing from the story connects to ME3, or even back to ME1.

If you skipped ME2, and went straight to ME3 after ME1, you literally didn't miss much of anything important or critical.

The Arrival DLC by itself did more to engage in the overal plot of the trilogy. (The entire game should have been based around Arrival, imo)

That's not to say the Collectors plot doesn't make in-universe sense, though.

Coming back to it, ME2 is a big, glorifed side-quest.

Last edited:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
For my comic book brehs! :gladbron:

MEDSC_TPB_CVR_4x6_SOL.0.jpg

Your first look inside Mass Effect: Discovery, the first Mass Effect: Andromeda comic

I was wondering if they were going to release any comic books this time around or any additional media, since they did it for the original trilogy.

And it's still with Dark Horse.

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
He's right.

If you took skipped ME2, and went straight to ME3 after ME1, you literally didn't miss much of anything important or critical.

The Arrival DLC by itself did more to engage the overal plot of the trilogy. (The entire game should have been based around Arrival, imo)

A glorified side quest that was supposed to lead up to the final confrontation in part 3 with the entity they set up as the true villain in part 1 but we all know how that went. :beli:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
One, @42 Monks is my favorite Mass Effect critic, breh always brings up great points about my favorite game series of all time (I wanna know what you feel are the flaws--story wise--in 3)

I agree with 42 + @Concerning VIolence + @He Who Posts Well = it's a glorified side mission

Now, "Worst" is a strong word, because, it's not bad.

It played up my favorite part of the game and that's character interaction. And I think Bioware & EA put the cart before the horse and didn't know what to connect it.

The Collector's are a weird addition to the series. Hell, they should've just acutally built upon the Star Child in that game.

I think they really wanted to make Cerberus and HUsks of all species a bigger deal.

That Suicide Mission and the built up (recruiting) is just so fun. But, yea, it's the weakest story, IMO.

BTW; ME:A

I'm not liking hearing the main characters are 22. I'm being picky again, but, I don't wanna be part of a bunch of teen angst.

And again;

WE'VE ALREADY PLAYED MASS EFFECT 1, 2 and 3. WE DO NOT NEED TO REVISIT THEM IN ANY SUBSTANTIAL WAY.

Shepard is a pariah at the end of 2. Unless, Ceberus is involved (some nerds debunked that) they have little to no knowledge of his/her adventures.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Yo I want to cop this but I never finished any mass effect. I played em all and damn near beat 2 but never finished em because I either flipped or gave away the systems I was playing em on

Am I gonna be too out of it to play this :lupe:

Hostile

All Star
Daps
Yo I want to cop this but I never finished any mass effect. I played em all and damn near beat 2 but never finished em because I either flipped or gave away the systems I was playing em on

Andromeda is a new story. You don't need to know about the events of the previous games.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

If this game ties into the original trilogy in any meaningful way we can explain it to you, regardless.

Fred.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's right.

If you skipped ME2, and went straight to ME3 after ME1, you literally didn't miss much of anything important or critical.

The Arrival DLC by itself did more to engage in the overal plot of the trilogy. (The entire game should have been based around Arrival, imo)

i really think yall calling it that cause of how me3 went...instead of focusing the anger at me3's story (which it deserves), yall are placing the blame on me2 cause yall thinking it setup me3....me2 was the perfect setup for what shouldve been a glorious battle in me3....but we didnt get that cause 1 guy wanted to tell his story and involve a star kid...so instead of them following up me2's story with something that connected, they followed it up with a story of it's own which made no damn sense...

hell, going by what yall said: me2 felt like the build up to a 'what the hell are we facing' ending in part 3....me3 came out and didnt give us that....it felt like a side quest cause the story was a bunch of running around doing and closing story line side quests before we even resolved the final conflict lol....add on to that the fact me3 has a cliffhanger type ending that feels like it should lead into the next game, but it doesnt....me3's story was fukking horrible....

...i respect yall opinion, i just dont agree....

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
If the reapers never got defanged and had their wings clipped in mass effect 2, you never have room for bullshyt space ninja and a hilariously out of place relevant Cerberus in 3.

People love to focus on the ending of ME3. It was missing marks in nearly every act. And the crazy thing? The best thing from 2 didn't even carry over - the character driven events that made 2 so good were largely trash in 3 outside of Mordin.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Again, beating a dead horse but I think the existence of the collectors cheapens the reapers by a lot. One single reaper punched through the entire citadel fleet - and the best part about it was that it didn't need a reason.

The collectors gave not only a less than adequate motivation to a great enemy that didn't need one, but also began a trend where the reapers became less and less intimidating and strong. Indoctrination was better as a byproduct of their existence, not a primary method of subversion and attack.

After ME2, reapers and essentially mass effect as a whole lost a great deal imo

You talking as if Sovereign wasn't using The Geth in the first game :comeon:

The first mission you play Sovereign's there but it's The Geth who do all the work.

The Collectors were simply the second game's version of them.

Sovereign had to hole up in The Citadel in order to not be destroyed and had to attack WITH a Geth fleet.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i really think yall calling it that cause of how me3 went...instead of focusing the anger at me3's story (which it deserves), yall are placing the blame on me2 cause yall thinking it setup me3....me2 was the perfect setup for what shouldve been a glorious battle in me3....but we didnt get that cause 1 guy wanted to tell his story and involve a star kid...so instead of them following up me2's story with something that connected, they followed it up with a story of it's own which made no damn sense...

hell, going by what yall said: me2 felt like the build up to a 'what the hell are we facing' ending in part 3....me3 came out and didnt give us that....it felt like a side quest cause the story was a bunch of running around doing and closing story line side quests before we even resolved the final conflict lol....add on to that the fact me3 has a cliffhanger type ending that feels like it should lead into the next game, but it doesnt....me3's story was fukking horrible....

...i respect yall opinion, i just dont agree....

Pretty much all of this.

As I've said before the original plot for 3 and the purpose of the Reapers tied into the stars dying, which was set up during Tali's recruitment mission in part 2. They cut that in favor of the Star Kid bullshyt which effectively killed the impact of the 2nd game.

Fred.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
it wasnt dumb....you ignoring the fact that 1 was almost able to to do that cause he had help by indoctrinating a powerful person in said capital....while the collectors were good soldiers/fighters for the reapers, they couldnt be like ole boy was in part 1......shepard could though, and me2 setup how much an asset shepard was and why the reapers wanted him on their side or out the way....me3 fukked up not following through with that....

It was all initially leading up to some sort of Shepard Reaper. They even had artwork of it .

The Human Reaper in Mass Effect 2 was probably even meant to be Shepard but they couldn't put a customized face on it so had to go with a generic skull/face.

But then like you said they abandoned that storyline in 3.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was all initially leading up to some sort of Shepard Reaper. They even had artwork of it .

The Human Reaper in Mass Effect 2 was probably even meant to be Shepard but they couldn't put a customized face on it so had to go with a generic skull/face.

But then like you said they abandoned that storyline in 3.

yep...that shyt was setting up so nicely, and me3 really dropped the ball that 1 and 2 setup....that, the stars dying angle that @hex mentioned, the dark matter angle, etc.was interesting as hell in me2, and they completely threw that shyt to the side in 3 for star kid, smh....

i'm hoping that they use this trilogy to somehow circle back around to those things....they need to just go with the fan theory that me3 is pretty much the reapers trying to indoctrinate shepard the whole game, and go from there....meA can take place while all that shyt is taking place...in meA2 we should come back to our system and fight the reaper shepard while trying to free the real shepard...meA3 we should finally get to fight harbinger....seriously, if we go 6 games without fighting him, i'm done with ME, i dont give a fukk how much i've enjoyed the series.....

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You talking as if Sovereign wasn't using The Geth in the first game :comeon:

The first mission you play Sovereign's there but it's The Geth who do all the work.

The Collectors were simply the second game's version of them.

Sovereign had to hole up in The Citadel in order to not be destroyed and had to attack WITH a Geth fleet.
Not really. The relationship between synthetics and reapers was fully fleshed out, solid, and consistent through the entire series. From the geth 'praying' in ME1 to the internal war in ME3.

They had nothing in common with the collectors.