42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I loved the reapers Just pissed we never got that final confrontation with that a$$hole Harbinger... :birdman: Should have had a boss fight in the last one.

Why did they suck to you?!? Was it the writing?! Blame Casey Hudson!!! :pacspit:
They went downhill every single moment after the "You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it". Everything they did from that point on was a letdown to me.

They were basically godlike, but the more and more you learn they turn into manipulators and simply more advanced than everyone else. Even Saren - he was at his best when he was maniacally TERRIFIED of the Reapers, not 'indoctrinated' and turned into a cyborg.

Everything people feel and know about the reapers is founded upon what they were in Mass Effect 1. They got progressively weaker and more flawed as the series went on. Mass Effect 2's 'collectors' were outright comical to me. I played the game because I loved the universe, and the idea behind abductions was cool, but look at what it turned into. It was stupid. Harbinger was a clown - and the whole 'genetic material of humans is what we need to make our motivations make sense' is a perfect example of how the Reapers were ruined. You don't NEED to explain everything, and if you do, don't ever weaken your story by your explanation.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
They went downhill every single moment after the "You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it". Everything they did from that point on was a letdown to me.

They were basically godlike, but the more and more you learn they turn into manipulators and simply more advanced than everyone else. Even Saren - he was at his best when he was maniacally TERRIFIED of the Reapers, not 'indoctrinated' and turned into a cyborg.

Everything people feel and know about the reapers is founded upon what they were in Mass Effect 1. They got progressively weaker and more flawed as the series went on. Mass Effect 2's 'collectors' were outright comical to me. I played the game because I loved the universe, and the idea behind abductions was cool, but look at what it turned into. It was stupid. Harbinger was a clown - and the whole 'genetic material of humans is what we need to make our motivations make sense' is a perfect example of how the Reapers were ruined. You don't NEED to explain everything, and if you do, don't ever weaken your story by your explanation.
I'll give you this; after that other post you made killing Mass Effect, you think about this game way more than me.

Yes, the game missed the mark on keeping the Reapers mysterious. I always thought the problem with the ending was; they got cute with the Reapers, thinking the plot was some genius the fans were waiting for. Except Garrus, Liara, Wrex, Grunt, Jack, Miranda, etc. >>>> The Reapers lore.

The Reapers only had to be what they were in the beginning of ME3 (the first time I played) = The overwhelming, unstoppable force that will eventually turn us to dust. They're origin isn't that interesting.

You do have an interesting take on indoctrination. Would you have cut that out, completely?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I'll give you this; after that other post you made killing Mass Effect, you think about this game way more than me.

Yes, the game missed the mark on keeping the Reapers mysterious. I always thought the problem with the ending was; they got cute with the Reapers, thinking the plot was some genius the fans were waiting for. Except Garrus, Liara, Wrex, Grunt, Jack, Miranda, etc. >>>> The Reapers lore.

The Reapers only had to be what they were in the beginning of ME3 (the first time I played) = The overwhelming, unstoppable force that will eventually turn us to dust. They're origin isn't that interesting.

You do have an interesting take on indoctrination. Would you have cut that out, completely?

I don't know if you guys knew this, but the Reapers (including the mental effects of being in their proximity) was heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft. That whole side mission in "ME2" where you're on the derelict Reaper and you find the recordings of the crew losing their minds is Lovecraft 101. They even took a quote from him almost exactly:

In one of the computer logs found throughout the derelict Reaper, a crazed Cerberus researcher refers to the Reaper as "a dead god who still dreams". This is most likely a direct reference to the famous phrase, "Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn", in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, concerning the eponymous Great Old One: "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

The difference is, Lovecraft never really explained where his creatures came from. Other dimensions, space, etc. sure but as far as motive or plans....no. Which is what the Reapers were in the first game. Bioware fukked up trying to explain them, their origin, etc.

Fred.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
@hex

That's something i wanted to do b4 Andormeda drops; look up influences on the game. And that's a great start.

I just beat the trilogy again two months ago. So, that's out of the way.

Oh yea, no Special Edition, no DLCs for me

I wanna judge the game straight up.

What y'all gonna name y'all Ryders anyway?
I'm actually hit up this online random name generator :laugh:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

The relationships, universe, and storytelling is what made ME so great. As much as it sounds like I like picking it apart, I really, really love the series. There are more great moments in single entries to this series than other entire collections of game. For example, I think Noveria from ME1 is an almost perfect act. That one set piece is better than some entire games.

I don't mind the indoctrination stuff. I just don't like how it was implemented. In one game a single reaper runs through the entire Citadel fleet and has one of the greatest operatives in the galaxy so shook that he decides to sell all of known space into slavery to appease the reapers so MAYBE they don't destroy the galaxy. In another game, you're fighting one on foot. Indoctrination could've been the tool of a different entity. The collectors should've never been a direct arm of the reapers either. Never made any kind of sense.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@hex

That's something i wanted to do b4 Andormeda drops; look up influences on the game. And that's a great start.

Sorry in advance for the long post.
You are going down a rabbit hole rapidly if you start with H.P. Lovecraft.:mjlol:

He's probably the single most influential writer in sci-fi and horror, in history. The reason most people haven't heard of him is he didn't try to legally protect his ideas. He more or less said :manny: "if people want to use my shyt, so be it".

You ever watch "Evil Dead"? The Necronomicon was created by Lovecraft in his short story "The Hound" in 1924.

Ever played "Eternal Darkness"? That entire game is several Lovecraft stories mashed together, with specific names changed.

Ever watch "True Detective" season 1? The Yellow King is better known as Hastur....an alien god that appeared in the Lovecraft story "The Whisperer In The Dark" in 1930.

Ever watch "Prometheus"? The idea that aliens created all life on Earth was taken from "At The Mountains Of Madness", written in 1931.

Ever watch "In The Mouth Of Madness"? The main villain Sutter Kane is based on Lovecraft. The whole movie is several of his stories kinda thrown together.

Ever play "Bloodbourne"? The whole second half of the game has several indirect references to Lovecraft's mythos. They even use a monster of his, Shoggoth.

There is literally hundreds of examples. Everyone from Stephen King to....well, "Mass Effect" has used his stuff. The Lovecraft "Reapers" are called The Great Old Ones:

Cthulhu Mythos deities - Wikipedia

An ongoing theme in Lovecraft's work is the complete irrelevance of mankind in the face of the cosmic horrors that apparently exist in the universe, with Lovecraft constantly referring to the "Great Old Ones": a loose pantheon of ancient, powerful deities from space who once ruled the Earth and who have since fallen into a deathlike sleep.

Lovecraft named several of these deities, including Cthulhu, Ghatanothoa, and Yig. With a few exceptions, Cthulhu, Ghatanothoa, et al., this loose pantheon apparently exists 'outside' of normal space-time. Though worshiped by deranged human (and inhuman) cults, these beings are generally imprisoned or restricted in their ability to interact with most people (beneath the sea, inside the Earth, in other dimensions, and so on), at least until the hapless protagonist is unwittingly exposed to them. Lovecraft visited this premise in many of his stories, notably his 1928 short story, The Call of Cthulhu, with reference to the eponymous creature. The majority of these have physical forms that the human mind is incapable of processing; simply viewing them renders the viewer incurably insane.

Fred.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Like I said before I hope that there are hints that the reapers are in this game in some sort of fashion. I mean they exist to constantly wipeout the milky way you telling me they dont have scout ships of some sort in the andromeda galaxy?!? I mean it would be a nice type of fan service. Or a way to get communicaes from earth towards the end or some shyt... I think hopefully they will be a excellent easter egg in the game...

shyt even Voyager got back home through a damned wormhole... :pachaha: I mean Janeway broke the temporal prime directive and brought them next century technology on a vendetta to kill the borg queen bytch which I thought was awesome... :pachaha: I mean this bytch came from earth to the other side of the delta quadrant back through time to save them... on a suicide mission...

Just had a thought. Why would the Reaper's scout Andromeda when the Leviathan's themselves were confined to the Milky Way galaxy? You can blame this on the Leviathan's or Bioware's trash handling of the Reapers. Leviathan's super arrogant and lazy created the Catalyst to preserve life in their galaxy instead of figuring it out themselves. It wasn't programmed to "wander the universe" for the job. :troll: Catalyst decides the Leviathans are part of the organic v. synths problem, make the Reapers, rebel and then spend a good 37 million years doing the same shyt to other species that reaches that organic vs. synthetic point.

Like @42 Monks Reapers in Andromeda is a trash idea. I'd rather see how organic life in Andromeda dealt with their own AI problems.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I meant in terms of the original trilogy, breh. Shepard wasn't fighting for random aliens living in caves or fringe races that couldn't even leave their planet. The stakes were, every character, race and place in the original trilogy completely wiped out. But now we find out some of them escaped anyway, so it lowers the stakes a bit.

Fred.
Yea just move all life to another galaxy, simple endeavor :mjlol:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Yea just move all life to another galaxy, simple endeavor :mjlol:

:mjlol: They going out into the unknown with NO IDEA what's out there in another entire Galaxy with no way to call for help or what hostile species want them dead...

Good idea.... :heh: