42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm not sure I get the ME2/MEA RPG element comparison.

ME2 was a hell of a lot more of a 3rd person shooter than any game in the series. Fewer skills by far, the introduction of reload mechanics, corridor shooting all the time because they knew they wanted a shooter but didn't have the developer skillset to do anything bigger. Not sure I get the cover complaints for ME:A either. Its not a turret station cover mechanic like most shytty 3rd person shooters - there's good cover and there's bad cover. Its on the player to decide what's best for what. I actually love the cover mechanics for ME:A now that its grown on me. Definitely more nuanced than I felt initially.

I stand by the idea that MEA tried to do everything at the cost of anything. Everything you could possibly want in a ME game is in Andromeda, and its messy as fukk as a result.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I guess it depends on your definition of RPG.

RPG isn't just skill points and abilities and loot. It's literally role playing. And "ME2" felt 100x more immersive in that regard than "Andromeda". I felt like I was Shepard. Or at the very least I cared about what happened to him. I've put roughly 30 hours into "Andromeda" and I don't even remember half the characters names.

Fred.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

RPG isn't just skill points and abilities and loot. It's literally role playing. And "ME2" felt 100x more immersive in that regard than "Andromeda". I felt like I was Shepard. Or at the very least I cared about what happened to him. I've put roughly 30 hours into "Andromeda" and I don't even remember half the characters names.

Fred.
That's on writing :hubie:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville

Fred.
None of the characters are interesting.

And I'm sure if I replay and try to make different choice, that Ryder will still feel like my first playthrough.

What's crazy; the situation in the trilogy was more dire, but, the protagonist was able to develop a lot more.

MEA feels like summer school where you kinda stay stagnate. There's development here and there, but, you really don't go through anything.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yeah, the writing in "Andromeda" is pretty bad. If you took the writing of the original trilogy (minus the ending obviously) and dropped it into "Andromeda" people would be talking about it's the GOAT.

Fred.
They drop the ball everywhere, felt like a novice writer for gaming imo

"Lets have the be a mutiny"

vs

"Lets have you show up thinking shyt is all good then holy shyt there's a mutiny in progress"

little stuff like that puts the action and story right in front and surrounds the character with it. ME:A fails at this consistently start to finish, the only time the story is good is during a mission sequence. In those instances its clear that there's an entirely different tone in storytelling.

I mean, how much better would ME:A have been if they had not gone by the numbers with another crash landing on an alien world and instead made the PLAYER buy into the theme that's central to the initiative's stance on 'everything is fine'? fukk uninhabitable, that's been done before. Let these worlds not let you leave. I want to lie to the people :banderas: "Don't worry, everything is under control"Make the scourge more than just the barrier and stationary deadly obstacle that it is for most of the game.

But whatever... hope they patch that in for the next game when they assemble a new studio for ME.

Also, SAM could've been great - instead he is terrible and actively makes the game worse.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
:gucci:

I was dead set on hating on the "ME" franchise because they fukked off a lot of good will with the ending of 3. And I stand by that. Once the game play footage for this dropped I said "ok, this looks cool" and pre-ordered it. It's not like I'm saying this is an awful game....it's just kinda there. Nothing about it stands out. Then on top of that it's basically "The Force Awakens" where it's going over the same plot points but the rehash is inferior. If I didn't cop a Switch I'd probably still be playing this and somewhat enjoying it but the difference in quality between this and "Breath Of The Wild" is jarring as fukk.

Fred.

Zelda and Mass Effect are 2 completely different games.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

Fred.

None of the characters are interesting.

And I'm sure if I replay and try to make different choice, that Ryder will still feel like my first playthrough.

What's crazy; the situation in the trilogy was more dire, but, the protagonist was able to develop a lot more.

MEA feels like summer school where you kinda stay stagnate. There's development here and there, but, you really don't go through anything.

"none of the characters are interesting"

"I can't even remember half of their names"

Breh you probably can't even name a race other than the Krogan or Asari.

Don't pretend you're an expert on Mass Effect lore. A lot of dudes in here be pretending.

:"Yeah the jenophauge..., that happened to the... samaritians... right?" :mjlol:

"what's the name of that blue bytch again?" :mjlol:

"what happened to my ending in ME3? " :mjlol:

If you played this for over 30 hours and can't remember everyone's names you're just reallly bad at having a memory.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
"none of the characters are interesting"

"I can't even remember half of their names"

Breh you probably can't even name a race other than the Krogan or Asari.

Don't pretend you're an expert on Mass Effect lore. A lot of dudes in here be pretending.

:"Yeah the jenophauge..., that happened to the... samaritians... right?" :mjlol:

"what's the name of that blue bytch again?" :mjlol:

"what happened to my ending in ME3? " :mjlol:

If you played this for over 30 hours and can't remember everyone's names you're just reallly bad at having a memory.
ME:A has the most forgettable cast in the entire series by a mile.

On top of that, ME:A doesn't even add lore really. The new race is.... well its just ONE new race. Whole new galaxy, you get these chumps and the people that are kicking their ass. Its not a lot added.

The Remnant are boring as fukk too. Utterly lifeless and poorly designed. Not even fun to fight.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
@Concerning VIolence

First, chill, we both like the game. I'm just disappointed.

Second, I was asked on a comparison on two games and just said one doesn't match up in terms of RPG elements--it still is.

Third, :mjlol: There's two big Mass Effect trilogy threads I'm all over, so don't even challenge my knowledge on the lore.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
ME:A has the most forgettable cast in the entire series by a mile.

On top of that, ME:A doesn't even add lore really. The new race is.... well its just ONE new race. Whole new galaxy, you get these chumps and the people that are kicking their ass. Its not a lot added.

The Remnant are boring as fukk too. Utterly lifeless and poorly designed. Not even fun to fight.

It's one cluster, not the entire galaxy. And it's 2 new races.

MEA adds plenty of lore if you read the codex.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
It's one cluster, not the entire galaxy. And it's 2 new races.

MEA adds plenty of lore if you read the codex.
The lore sucks and is shallow as hell is the problem. Every time an Angaran starts talking I'm mad the devs never gave me a option to slap the shyt out of them for wasting my and humanity's time. Even the Salarians are more interesting. shyt the Volus were too. Angarans are trash. Their history is trash. Their spirituality is some shyt I'd expect to see on some early 2000s geocites fanction board. Their rogue factions are lame and they got their asses kicked in their own homes. There's nothing about them that says "they're worth my investment" in any way shape or form.

They suck.

And you can say new cluster over and over again but "new galaxy" over and over again was what this was advertised as. I will express my disapproval as such :ld: and 2 races... do the Kett even really count?

In ME:OG you see how all these races intertwine and build upon each other. Hanar raising proxy races, Krogan being good for muscle and hated for everything else even when it wasn't their fault, Asari altering the minds and laws of attraction for every race that sees them, Turians being the glue, etc.

Here?

....okay Angarans.

And then the sloppy carryover from everything in the OG trilogy because by itself, Andromeda cannot stand on its own two feet at all

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
The lore sucks and is shallow as hell is the problem. Every time an Angaran starts talking I'm mad the devs never gave me a option to slap the shyt out of them for wasting my and humanity's time. Even the Salarians are more interesting. shyt the Volus were too. Angarans are trash. Their history is trash. Their spirituality is some shyt I'd expect to see on some early 2000s geocites fanction board. Their rogue factions are lame and they got their asses kicked in their own homes. There's nothing about them that says "they're worth my investment" in any way shape or form.

They suck.

And you can say new cluster over and over again but "new galaxy" over and over again was what this was advertised as. I will express my disapproval as such :ld: and 2 races... do the Kett even really count?

In ME:OG you see how all these races intertwine and build upon each other. Hanar raising proxy races, Krogan being good for muscle and hated for everything else even when it wasn't their fault, Asari altering the minds and laws of attraction for every race that sees them, Turians being the glue, etc.

Here?

....okay Angarans.

And then the sloppy carryover from everything in the OG trilogy because by itself, Andromeda cannot stand on its own two feet at all

You didn't provide any arguments, breh. Just saying it's trash doesn't convince anyone.

The milky way species interacted with one another because of the Citadel Council and an established prehistory. There's no galactic council sofar presented to us in the Andromeda galaxy. I

t seems you just wanted a copy and paste of the milky way.