Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
That's revisionist too. Neither Big L and Cam'ron was herald as they were when Mase was on. It was when Mase LEFT RAP and BIG L getting murdered where the name Big L blew and when Cam moved to Roc-A-Fella. Even Cam said in the story that Mase had Harlem on lock at the time. And it's part of the reason why Big L was jealous of Mase because Big L was the FIRST to get signed to a major out of Harlem, but he didn't blow and got dropped from the label, only for someone that used to roll with him blew up and get all the Harlem glory.

Don't undermine that Mase was that dude from 1996-99. Harlem blew because of Mase during that period.

I don’t know where you're from, but you're definitely not from NYC, lol.

L was that dude in Harlem after Runaway Slave. Mase's success was not geared toward the same kind of people that followed L. L wasn't a commercial artist, he was more of an underground artist and their careers weren't even running at the same time. By the time Mase dropped, L had cooled off. But from '92-'96, L was basically worshipped in Harlem for his music. And after too. Not only because of the records, but also because he was still there. We would still see him everyday. He never got too big for the neighborhood. That's why Harlem always loved dude. We lived in the same building. I was on the 5th floor, L was on the 1st floor. All the legends would be around the way looking for L to do records with them. Premier, Kane, RZA, Jay, etc. He was with Finesse and Showbiz all the time. L was already a legend with just the one album.

If you're not from Harlem, you can't speak on Harlem. Because the reason why Mase was never seen on any of the blocks was because he was scared of getting robbed. Which is why Dame always said he only saw Mase downtown. Cam was always Uptown on 40th. You never saw Mase. So he never had anything "on lock". He was never even around. He doesn't have any history on any of those blocks because he's not even from NY. Which is why Cam said "Mase got scared and ran back down south and Harlem doesn't claim him".

So again, I don’t have any issue with Mase. But nobody from Harlem would ever say that he's more loved there than L was and is. L's run was cut short, but his legacy is what it is today globally because Harlem wouldn't let it be forgotten. Uptown loves that dude, and always did. Way before the outsiders took notice.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
You need to relisten to what Cam (who was the one who BROUGHT UP THE PART THAT MASE DIDN'T GIVE A STATEMENT) and Mase said.

Mase said he went to the station to get his ROLLIE BACK. What the Camerman saw was Mase going to the police and assuming something. But it was CAM'RON who noted that while there, they wanted to Mase to give a statement and Mase refused. So what's the cap?
The cap was in "He didn't give a statement". I get it was at different times (one was at the station the other was supposedly in real time), but its semantics.

If the guy is telling the truth, Mase gave a statement to the police at the scene of the crime. That's even more damaging. Regardless if it wasn't when the police called him in to give one in order to retrieve his rolex. The point was he talked to police about the robbery (if true). The reason Cam brought it up was to give an added boost to Mase's street credibility. I don't care if Mase told or not, Mase not no street nikka in my eyes. But that's a side argument.

It's like you catch your girl cheating and you ask "Did you sleep with so and so on Monday" and she says no, but she slept with the nikka on Sunday. Lol. The point isn't the time or format of when it happened, the point is did you do it.

And if your point is Cam said it and not Mase, not correcting or adding context is the same as lying.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I just rewatched that NFL documentary, man damn shame how them brehs did eachother.

You New York brehs got the most on and off again relationships with eachother :pachaha:

I know Reg and Lee been long gone, but what happened to TC? Maybe I didn’t hear that in the documentary

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was gonna scroll by, but I have to ask this narrative of Mase forgot people when he's directly responsible for Cam getting signed as well as his people to form Harlem World. Mase was very active in trying to put Harlem people on. So, let's move the falsehood of he forgot people.

Mase's issues were based on people's jealousy once he blew which he addressed on Same nikkas. Mase left the game completely and abruptly due to all the drama in the streets and with the label.

They all wanted money from mase
Dude was gettin robbed by the industry and didnt even have much himself as a name as big as he was
20 years old sold 4 million and hes supposed to just walk around and chill in the streets :mjlol:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
@FreshAIG and @Awesome Wells

you OGs are disappointing me. Why don't you just pull cards instead of entertaining BS :dahell:

ya'll got dweebs from god knows where telling ya'll about your experience:what:

I failed you, bro. LOL!

Thing is, you can't tell these nerds nothing. They Google sh*t from West Bubblefukk and wanna tell Harlem people about what's going on in Harlem. It's wild. But they can't be helped.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I don’t know where you're from, but you're definitely not from NYC, lol.

L was that dude in Harlem after Runaway Slave. Mase's success was not geared toward the same kind of people that followed L. L wasn't a commercial artist, he was more of an underground artist and their careers weren't even running at the same time. By the time Mase dropped, L had cooled off. But from '92-'96, L was basically worshipped in Harlem for his music. And after too. Not only because of the records, but also because he was still there. We would still see him everyday. He never got too big for the neighborhood. That's why Harlem always loved dude. We lived in the same building. I was on the 5th floor, L was on the 1st floor. All the legends would be around the way looking for L to do records with them. Premier, Kane, RZA, Jay, etc. He was with Finesse and Showbiz all the time. L was already a legend with just the one album.

If you're not from Harlem, you can't speak on Harlem. Because the reason why Mase was never seen on any of the blocks was because he was scared of getting robbed. Which is why Dame always said he only saw Mase downtown. Cam was always Uptown on 40th. You never saw Mase. So he never had anything "on lock". He was never even around. He doesn't have any history on any of those blocks because he's not even from NY. Which is why Cam said "Mase got scared and ran back down south and Harlem doesn't claim him".

So again, I don’t have any issue with Mase. But nobody from Harlem would ever say that he's more loved there than L was and is. L's run was cut short, but his legacy is what it is today globally because Harlem wouldn't let it be forgotten. Uptown loves that dude, and always did. Way before the outsiders took notice.
where is mase from originally and how old was he when he moved to nyc?

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Don't even bother with this video. They didn't go into details.

Unless you actually from there, no one should comment before watching this. Tells you everything you need to know

I was ready to post this. This is the most thorough breakdown of what happened. It's long winded but it's necessary to lay out all the details.

People referring to L as a grimy sociopath definitely need to watch this. L wasn't the one who set that man up. He died over inserting himself into his brother's beef. The set up would've happened without his involvement.

I just rewatched that NFL documentary, man damn shame how them brehs did eachother.

You New York brehs got the most on and off again relationships with eachother :pachaha:

Non New Yorkers always act like NY is more cutthroat. You'll find these exact same stories everywhere that criminals reside.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
From the little I hear about L he seemed to be a dirtbag, scheming type.
When he got killed, I swear I remember all the talk about him was that he was a regular/good dude and wasn't involved in any street shyt so people were shocked at what happened. He wasn't known nationally before his death.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
When he got killed, I swear I remember all the talk about him was that he was a regular/good dude and wasn't involved in any street shyt so people were shocked at what happened. He wasn't known nationally before his death.
I'd say he was definitely known nationally. MVP rung off pretty decently. Then Ebonics was getting a big ass buzz and he was in a bunch of the magazines.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I'd say he was definitely known nationally. MVP rung off pretty decently. Then Ebonics was getting a big ass buzz and he was in a bunch of the magazines.
He mighta had an underground buzz but he wasn't super well known. Lifestylez peaked at #149; Big Picture debuted at #13. His name really spread AFTER he got killed.

Last edited: