Mase talks about the time Big L tried to get him robbed "It Is What It Is"

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Bro grew up in Jacksonville. That's been known forever.

His moms moved him from there to NY and then back to Florida because she said Harlem was too dangerous. Cam, Gruff and mad other people mentioned this on old diss records to Mase. Common knowledge.
He moved to Harlem when he was 5 moved back because of trouble when he was 13 briefly and came back for high school where he went to Manhattan Center

How is he from Jacksonville and not Harlem :dahell:

Nothing about Mase screams Florida nikka :mjlol: the he’s not really from Harlem shyt is just haterade

They say the same shyt about Dave East, Juelz, Jimmy, A$AP Rocky wtf is the criteria to be from Harlem :dwillhuh:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Yeah, I know he from the Bronx. I just didn’t know if yall rock w/ Jimmy or view him as an outsider.

Nah, Jimmy is seen as one of us because you always saw him.

It wasn't like that with Murda. Reason why dudes never liked him was because he signed with Puff and became like this Harlem ambassador and everyone felt like dude wasn't even qualified to rep us. Just like Puff wasn't. But it became fashionable to say you were from Harlem.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
I remember when Mass Appeal was about to release a Big L documentary on Showtime, even had a trailer, then suddenly was removed and disappeared..

Big L’s family and people seem to protect his name and legacy… very private legacy he has… I’ve never seen a book, documentary, interviews etc nothin on his life and death

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
I don’t think it was "unfortunate" that he wasn't known to white fans. His music wasn't made for them, away from the ones who loved him in the underground.

He was an underground draw for us in NYC. He wasn't making or trying to make records to crossover to reach white fans and people who weren't underground heads. This is '91-'96. That wasn't the goal back then. If you knew L back then, you were a hardcore Hip Hop head. Like the ones he saw when he was on tour out of state with Beatnuts and Kurious. You had to be a fan at that level to know who L was. But in NYC, we all championed him back then. The only people that jump on artists after they die, are posers and fake fans.
he wasn't known to black people either. haha. Stop rewriting history. Big L was not as big as any of the artists I named when his first album dropped. And neither was anyone else in his entire crew. Diamond D had a decent with with "sally got a one track mind" in 92. I remember in high school a friend of mind heard the song, but didn't know who the artist was. He asked me in class one day, "do you have that song "sally got a one track mind?". Soul Clap by show and AG got some spin too. a couple years after that Hip tot he game got traction and Fat Joe first blew up from the the "sexual healing" sample from "envy" on the 2nd album. Big L was right there in the middle of all that as "mvp" and "put it on" didn't put him over even with black fans. I was a Big L fan so it was frustrating not to see him get the respect he deserved. Evean after being dropped from columbia, he did the independent thing releasing 12". I still have the Fat Beats order form and the "ebonics" 12 inch I bought in '98 from them. So that's why the name Ron Browz wasn't a mystery to me when I saw it on the "ether" credits. Everybody aint like me and you with their ear to the streets. We know unpopular artists, but most people get their music strictly from mainstream.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
This is why the Tunnel was bananas. Whether you were from Brooklyn or uptown, if you had issues with somebody around your way, there was a stroooooooooong chance you might see them on Sunday at the Tunnel. So shyt was always popping off there.

I miss the fukkery! :russ:

I saw a MC from a Brooklyn crew get spun like a top by my man and had him run behind a parked car because his people jumped my boy at the Tunnel the week prior. We laughed so hard! :heh: Dude ain't even participate with the folks who jumped my boy....but those were his people so he took the brunt of the payback.

The memories.

Also.....no one hates New York niqqas more than New York niqqas. :heh:

I'm sure thats the case for any place dealing with their own city.
I was too young to get in the tunnel but the amount of fukkery I heard about there:dead::dead::dead::dead:

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
He said also that Mase went straight to the police car after he got robbed and told them what happened. So he's capping about not giving a statement.

I think that's the least surprising part of the story to me. Mase was giving off that energy the whole time he was telling the story. From wanting to bail out on his boy "they got you not me :hubie: "...to reiterating how much the rollie meant to him.

Not that I blame him...everyone is not like that to get it back in blood

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
I always read that he got hit in retaliation for some shyt his brother did or he was mistaken for his brother.

Never knew Big L himself was on that grimy tip but it makes sense given that Cam, for at least the last 5-6 years has been hinting that he ain’t really fukk with L like that and that the neighborhood they came from was such that nikkas would help your grandmother carry groceries to her door and then go and try and have you lined up 15 minutes later.

I mean the nikka made an album called Lifestyles Ov The Poor AND DANGEROUS.

:ufdup:

Bunch of triple-cross nikkas, just New York nikkas
Lift you off your feet when they was just talkin' with you - Nas

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Crazy

The only thing that doesn’t make sense is if L was a grimy sociopathic dude why would he get Fat Joe and be afraid to fight Mase one on one or even rob him on his own? Mase wasn’t built like that and was an easy target

Only thing I can think of is he knew it wouldn’t be a good luck and wouldn’t be well received in Harlem if he violated Mase and that’s why he wanted someone else to do it

:gucci:BEING A SLIMY SNAKE
AND BEING A TOUGH GUY
ARENT THE SAME THINGS CAC

:devil:
:evil:

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
Gullytv was interviewing some nygga earlier.

Nygga said the typical “anyone that knows L, knows that he loved everybody” and I immediately turned it off.

It just seems delusional
It’s like why they wanna L like he was some saint🤣 buddy was a grimey nikka