Marvel's "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol. 2" Thread

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can have comedy. People love comedy. Don't have Vader dropping fart jokes after cutting off Luke's hand though. That's what GoTG 2 does to hurt itself.

while Gunn has said he was influenced by Star Wars (and a bunch of other movies) GOTG isn't actually trying to be Star Wars though. Gunn got his start with Troma films and that sense of humor permeates most of his work, even darker stuff like Super (underrated flick). GOTG is not meant to have the tone of Star Wars, even though Gunn wants it to have the awe inspiring moments of Star Wars. In terms of tone GOTG is supposed to be closer to Back to the Future than Star Wars.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
while Gunn has said he was influenced by Star Wars (and a bunch of other movies) GOTG isn't actually trying to be Star Wars though. Gunn got his start with Troma films and that sense of humor permeates most of his work, even darker stuff like Super (underrated flick). GOTG is not meant to have the tone of Star Wars, even though Gunn wants it to have the awe inspiring moments of Star Wars. In terms of tone GOTG is supposed to be closer to Back to the Future than Star Wars.
I am not referencing any of that and its the first I've ever heard of it too. I don't follow or care because it has nothing to do with my point :wow: use Lion King, Kingsmen, The Last Airbender, anything - it still applies.

You cross those streams you degrade quality scenes and the movie overall. You throw this kind of comedy into scenes that don't warrant it and you'll see the type of mixed feedback that doesn't entirely match the film itself.

It was nonstop. The scene with Baby Groot in particular was just uncomfortable and you could tell it was meant to be funny or something. GoTG2 is filled with stuff like that.

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when Peter and Ego were talking in that big grand hall and Ego did something to Peter and his eyes turned black with the "universe" in them and he was like "Eternityyyyy :ahh:"
Oooh ok I got it.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Its not a great movie, but its a good movie. Awesome to look at too. Don't see this at a shyt theater though.

Marvel is headed to a beautiful place though. I didn't think shyt could top Dr. Strange but this was.... well, gorgeous.

The problem is they shoehorned jokes in damn near every scene where something serious was happening. :gucci:

Nebula goes off on a rant that literally establishes her character from this point on in the Marvel Universe and they got some side side side kick dude talking about "I meant like.... maybe you'd buy a hat :skip:"

They're lucky imo.... this script was just outright strange at times. I liked the movie still but they rode a very, very fine line on being plainly jarring in how they contrasted certain scenes.
crazy cuz i thought that part was hilarious and i saw it coming from a mile away.....even i said to myself while watching "why is she going on this long ass soliloquy rn :dahell:" and then it paid off with something i thought was hilarious :manny: works for some and doesnt for others, thats comedy :francis:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
St louis
shyt was epic!!!
gonna see it tomorrow and sunday to.
Marvel.
:ahh:

wat6rr.jpg

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
ppl get to complain about anything as long as they got real logic behind it

like i said before, the writing undermined the fukk out of an otherwise fantastic movie. devalued it

its still good, it could've been better and its plain as day to anyone. most movies would kill to be able to draw views in emotionally as often and as consistently as GoTG manages to do - at the same time how many movies swerve those same viewers over and over and over again like they don't even respect that shyt? That's the issue and I hope that Marvel recognizes that moving forward

I mean for fukk's sake. This is an awesome #fatherless movie.
And while this dude is working over a mountain of dad issues built up over two movies, we got Drax dropping "where's his dikk tho? :mjgrin:" jokes to just completely throw a scene where every actor there is pretty much on point? its just dumb and jarring and degrades the movie as a whole

You can have comedy. People love comedy. Don't have Vader dropping fart jokes after cutting off Luke's hand though. That's what GoTG 2 does to hurt itself.

I feel you but we kinda need to separate the technical difference from a "joke" and comment.

in all fairness to Drax..... that thing about Ego's equipment, he was just merely asking a question from an inquisitive standpoint. Remember he doesn't really recognize when he's being in appropriate, nor does he have a filter.

I don't think he was necessarily doing that to troll or be funny, he was just asking a question out of curiosity

Martha