Marvel was founded in 1939 and has never hired a Black woman writer

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He wasn't telling lies. How many black women comic book readers do you know? What about black women sci-fi/fantasy book readers? It's a very minute group. They were even more ostracized than black men comic book readers. I would say even 10 years ago, no one cared as much to what comic book writers/readers looked like.

Actually the argument from minority readers for more diversity is fairly new as well. Older comics fans always gravitated towards the characters they liked, period. It didn't matter the gender/nationality. There weren't "we need more _____ characters" because there are charcters that you liked that you wouldd hope someone picked up and gave some shine to. That has always been the argument before "make a new character that's _______." Well, that's been my experiece with it.

All of this new diversity push is moreso because of the popularity in pop culture from the past decade.
So milestone comics was just because dc was feeling extra black

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I completely missed that you wrote that.:mjlol:
I looked dude up on IMDb and its crazy that he wrote a big action hit like Eraser and then nothing else of note. You'd think having a blockbuster under your belt would open you up to being offered tons of writing gigs.

That is how they do black folks in Hollywood man.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1266ae62e545c9b705d21cee8ff81b4f.jpg

Black man

finger-quotes-2.jpg

I knew someone on here was gonna say something about this. Dude is one of those high yella black folks.......like Rock Newman. But he been involved in Hollywood for years and has been speaking out on black artist, writers and directors getting shytting on for the last 2 and a half decades.

Anyway max still fine as shyt, still got that pretty skin and look good as hell with that natural hair afro.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I knew someone on here was gonna say something about this. Dude is one of those high yella black folks.......like Rock Newman. But he been involved in Hollywood for years and has been speaking out on black artist, writers and directors getting shytting on for the last 2 and a half decades.

Anyway max still fine as shyt, still got that pretty skin and look good as hell with that natural hair afro.
Way past high yellow. Dark white.

And yes maxine still fine.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
He wasn't telling lies. How many black women comic book readers do you know? What about black women sci-fi/fantasy book readers? It's a very minute group. They were even more ostracized than black men comic book readers. I would say even 10 years ago, no one cared as much to what comic book writers/readers looked like.

Actually the argument from minority readers for more diversity is fairly new as well. Older comics fans always gravitated towards the characters they liked, period. It didn't matter the gender/nationality. There weren't "we need more _____ characters" because there are charcters that you liked that you wouldd hope someone picked up and gave some shine to. That has always been the argument before "make a new character that's _______." Well, that's been my experiece with it.

All of this new diversity push is moreso because of the popularity in pop culture from the past decade.

Not to mention the fact that past the 70's (the age of far FAR greater of comic readers) there's ALWAYS been "minorities" in comics, corny or not.

Black Panther
Claremont's X-Men
Super-Friends or whatever you want to call them
Luke Cage
Misty Knight

Yes, a whole slew of c to z rank villains, I admit.

Folks like Cyborg over in Teen Titans, which was DAMN NEAR AS POPULAR as Claremont's X-Men, if not more

Then you had DC post crisis, where folks were replaced with women, asians, hispanics, blacks,

Justice League Detroit, for the joke that it was.....

Vixen

Marvel had Monica Rambeau being GOD AWFULLY powerful and leading The Avengers

Jim Rhodes replacing Iron Man

The 90s had Spawn selling a BAJILLION copies, Shadowhawk being black getting news coverage, folks like that Skullface dude from Youngblood, GW Bridge ,

DC had Milestone....

Hell! Milestone had a Black superheroine that was a fukking CRACK ADDICT, who's powers were to turn back time. She started smoking crack to deal with seeing her teammates die over and over.... AND NOBODY CARED.

You had gay and lesbian folks, Shrinking Violet from Legion of Superheroes was Lesbian, Batwoman/Kathy Kane was a lesbian, Image was full of lesbians and "sexually liberated" people.

Hell, I was reminding people how when fukking NORTHSTAR got married to a dude in X-Men it got MAJOR news coverage. The only coverage I had seen that large for a comic and solely a comic was when SUPERMAN DIED.

The only difference NOW is that people know that thanks to social media coverage, if they whine about something "controversial" that they'll get attention.

For fukks sake, these are the same people who were trying to get Captain America to be gay with Bucky a few weeks ago!

AND WE WERE SCARED THAT THEY SUCCEEDED (hail hydra)!

So yes, the last 4-5 years has been nothing but people going "Listen to my controversial opinion!"

Other people going "me too I feel the same way I'm soooo angry this is a fukking outrage"

Folks caving in due to fear of public shame and backlash

While NONE of the above stuff was done due to "public outcry".

Daps
Nit picking for something to be outraged about :yeshrug:

The writer of this article should pick his battles more carefully. There's plenty of real injustices in the entertainment industry for him to draw attention to that don't need to be delegitimized by this type of manufactured controversy.

What "real injustices" are being "delegitimized" by this article?