"Marvel is like a stripper, exciting at first, when it's over, you realize it wasn't all that great"

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
And it's not about Superman specifically. "Ironman 3" did more than "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises". That shouldn't happen, for any reason. It's a C tier Marvel character vs an A tier DC character.

Iron Man 3 came out 5 years after The Dark Knight. There's some inflation there. There's also the fact that Nolan didn't do 3D. They wanted him to and he refused. that would have brought in more money. Plus, there were more overseas markets in 2013 than 2008.

I'm not going to discuss The Dark Knight Rises because I have no idea how much the massacre in Colorado contributed to how it performed at the box office and neither do you. It's a theory but something we will never have a clear answer to.

Iron Man 3 was also following The Avengers movie and as I said before.. Robert Downey Jr. is the glue that held the entire MCU together during Phase I and even in Phase II. The domestic numbers for Guardians of the Galaxy were very impressive so obviously Marvel is showing now that they don't necessarily need Downey to have a huge hit but I'm not going to act like he wasn't the reason people were flocking to see Iron Man. He is worth every dollar he makes from that franchise.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
OP is right, I suffer from insomnia and MOS gets watched anytime I need help sleeping, that movie has been of great help to me.
it gets enormous play in nurserys around the country, thank you DC :lawd:

"The Dark Knight", too? :patrice:

Heath Ledger's death wasn't a stimulus package?

And for the record I like "TDK" more than any Marvel movie. But Marvel took a lot less popular characters, and made them go toe-to-toe with DC's starting line up.

Fred.
they got the dream team and gettin hype while marvel is throwing out the bobcats and fillin up the same amount of seats :dead:

I credit marvel for their marketing genius and the behemoth they have going on, difference is the Darknight trilogy is in a stand alone universe and Iron Man shared MCU Universe carries more cache than a stand alone Universe. A fairer comparison would be when BVS comes out and see how the DCU universe fares against the MCU. And I love both because they are offereing something different, from the tones of their movies to how they approached building their shared universe that is if BVS doesn't bomb :yeshrug:
no way bvs bombs. if you bomb with batman and superman you need to go home

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll just put it like this. DC had a villain (THE JOKER) win an Oscar from one of their movies. Marvel will NEVER have actor win an Oscar from any of their movies. Marvel movies are too silly. I like my comic book movies serious in tone like Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Btw, SUICIDE SQUAD is about to crush the buildings. So is Batman Vs Superman.

I will admit though, DAREDEVIL is gangsta as fukk. Marvel impressed me with that one, but it's also a cable TV series.

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I'll just put it like this. DC had a villain (THE JOKER) win an Oscar from one of there movies. Marvel will NEVER have actor win an Oscar from any of their movies. Marvel movies are too silly. I like my comic book movies serious in tone like Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

I will admit though, DAREDEVIL is gangsta as fukk. Marvel impressed me with that one, but it's also a cable TV series.

INTERNET TV SERIES....:rudy:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I'll just put it like this. DC had a villain (THE JOKER) win an Oscar from one of there movies. Marvel will NEVER have actor win an Oscar from any of their movies. Marvel movies are too silly. I like my comic book movies serious in tone like Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

that Legion of Superpets movie gonna clear the yard out:banderas:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Iron Man has replay value and its the most underrated Marvel flick. I think it gets lost in the discussion because Iron Man has had 2 sequels place screen time in Avengers.

Thor and the First Avenger to me were set up flicks at first Glace but Thor actually set up the plot for Avengers and the First Avengers set up the plot to Winter Soldier & Age of Ultron. Both were important.

Iron Man 2 & 3 were filler as was Thor 2 but imo every Thor movie is important because it ties in to the Infiniti Wars movies. Iron Man 2 was really a Black Window/S.H.I.E.L.D intro.

Oh and Hulk was another re-introduction flick.

At the end of the day all of the movies tie together.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
They have the Disney machine behind them. That is the most important part that you left out of your post. It does not matter who was popular in the comics when you factor in what Disney brings to the table in terms of marketing. You also left out that Robert Downey Jr. is carrying a lot of the MCU on his back. He's worth every penny.

Plus, Man of Steel was an origin flick and many people were turned off by Superman Returns. They made a huge mistake when they tried to continue the Donner era Superman. There were some 40-year old fan boys who loved it but the majority of movie goers do not want to see that anymore. Man of Steel made damn good money considering those factors.

It's comparable to what happened with Spider-Man over at SONY. The first three films made a ridiculous amount of money but Spider-Man 3 turned a lot of people off. Then they decided to do an origin film AGAIN and while I don't think it was terrible, it was a very mixed reaction. Spider-Man franchise should be banking a billion dollars or more every time a film drops. There's no reason it should be doing Winter Soldier or Days of Future Past numbers (i.e. good but not near the potential).
:snoop:

amazing spider man -
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $262,030,663 34.6%
+ Foreign: $495,900,000 65.4%
= Worldwide: $757,930,663

amazing spider man 2 -

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $202,853,933 28.6%
+ Foreign: $506,128,390 71.4%
= Worldwide: $708,982,32

that's damn near a billion a piece... i think they're doing just fine

both dark knights were at 1 billion a piece.... and avengers is at 1.5 billion.. man of steel almost did 700 mil

so actually spidey is doing just fine and only behind batman in solo movies... and they damn sure didn't have nolan or ledger to base it off either... spidey out here with nobody directors and c-list actors and still doing the damn thing

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
my problem was that
and the fact they were like. yeah we know your identity was stolen and we know you didnt ok any of this stuff but were gonna go through with all this stuff anyway so all your money is gone
and never once fixed or looked into the shyt.... he gets robbed that day... they take all his money, his posessions (they let him keep the house), took his company....

i mean the motherfukker was a BILLIONAIRE... within 2 weeks he couldn't even keep his lights on :stopitslime:

the END of the movie... after the takeover... all those months.. after he faked his death... the funeral... all that time lapse.........

the dude reading his will still says "due to his reduced assets" meaning even in death, they STILL hadn't given him his money and possessions back... but somehow he living up in another country... but can't pay that light bill :francis:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
"Ironman" did half a billion before Disney came into the picture....so no.

And it's not as if the DC movies are independent. They have just as much marketing behind them as Disney, with the benefit of far more popular characters.

And it's not about Superman specifically. "Ironman 3" did more than "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises". That shouldn't happen, for any reason. It's a C tier Marvel character vs an A tier DC character.

Fred.
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $409,013,994 33.7%
+ Foreign: $806,426,000 66.3%
= Worldwide: $1,215,439,994

damn you're right :russ:

how in the flying fukk did that happen... and dude in here talking bout "b-b-b-b-b-but no solo character made more"

and then you get beat by fukking iron man 3 of all movies

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
I love both marvel and dc. But no superhero movie has replay value! Stkll enjoy them for what they are