Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
The issue I have with this is that not every movie is trying to do the same thing.

Marvel movies aren't trying to be complex. They're action superhero movies.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Especially when you go over budget and it's doubtful you will recoup @ the box office. :manny:
There's nothing bad or immoral about comic book movies. And movie tastes are subjective.
It’s what the masses want to see & I have no problem with people liking superhero movies and don’t want to come off as a movie snob. But they are completely beating a dead horse with the amount of reboots & sequels that they release & spin offs.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Marty can say whatever the fukk he wants.

Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films ever directed.

Marvel movies suck. Basically killed Hollywood because it’s basically the only shyt studios want to push and release. Big blockbuster super hero movies one after the motherfukkin ‘nother.
These movies are entertaining but I don't think of them the same way I think of a classic movie. Just like the Fast and Furious films are entertaining but not to be compared to great movies. Outside of Sam Jackson, Robert Downey Jr, Josh Brolin and Tom Hiddleston the rest of the cast is basically just serviceable. Benjamin Cumberbatch shows potential in his role too.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Marty can say whatever the fukk he wants.

Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films ever directed.

Marvel movies suck. Basically killed Hollywood because it’s basically the only shyt studios want to push and release. Big blockbuster super hero movies one after the motherfukkin ‘nother.

Breh..... it’s not Marvel or any other big blockbuster movies fault no one trynna go on a date and pay $72 for Nomadland type movies

If anything, Blockbusters somewhat justified the crazy prices of these tickets, drinks and food:mjlol:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Algorithms, by definition, are based on calculations that treat the viewer as a consumer and nothing else.
That part and it's the most important part. Films like Goodfella got made because Marty wanted to do it, not because a studio asked him to because it was on the schedule for next year. Directors want to make a movies they want to, not to fill up a catalogue that may or may not get buried by a bunch of other movies or TV shows considered "content".

The funniest part about this recent take is that he could be talking about anything else, not even superhero movies, literally the last decade of movies but Marvel fans automatically think he's talking about "their" movies.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The funniest part about this recent take is that he could be talking about anything else, not even superhero movies, literally the last decade of movies but Marvel fans automatically think he's talking about "their" movies.

i love that dumbass fast and furious franchise. Marty could say "they bullshyt" and i'd say 'you right but it's entertaining so :yeshrug: ' and i would go about my day :sas2:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
That part and it's the most important part. Films like Goodfella got made because Marty wanted to do it, not because a studio asked him to because it was on the schedule for next year. Directors want to make a movies they want to, not to fill up a catalogue that may or may not get buried by a bunch of other movies or TV shows considered "content".

At the same time a film studio thought a movie like Goodfellas would make a profit with a modest budget so they green lit it. It's not some indie movie he made on his own. lol
He mentioned Marvel movies specifically in the past that's where that energy is coming from. It's not out of the blue.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Dude you spend a lot of time arguing with people 'ruining' DC threads. Who are you kidding? :mjlol:

u have the most posts in this thread trying to prove me wrong and your friends aren't far behind :dead:

meanwhile Marty never uttered the words "Marvel"

:mjlol:

and that dummy above me can't put together a coherent post to save his life :russ:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
u have the most posts in this thread trying to prove me wrong and your friends aren't far behind :dead:

meanwhile Marty never uttered the words "Marvel"

:mjlol:

and that dummy above me can't put together a coherent post to save his life :russ:
He commented directly about Marvel because he was asked.

“I tried, you know?” the director said when asked if he had seen Marvel’s movies. “But that’s not cinema.”

He continued: “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Your reading comprehension is low. lol