Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Also, as a film lover, I like that he stresses the need for theater chains to show more than just the Blockbusters or whatever Disney wants. I am positive that every director feels that way too. Most if not all intend for them to be on the big screen.

That's cool and everything but he's not the guy to be making that argument.

He couldn't get "The Irishman" funded via traditional channels so Netflix funded it. Which is why it's on Netflix first and foremost, and in theaters as an afterthought.

It's not as if he had the movie ready to go and a comic movie pushed him out of the spotlight.

I guess this is the part where someone says "well, maybe his movie didn't get funded because comic books have taken over" but the fact of the matter is he ain't had a hit movie since "Shutter Island" and nobody is getting handed $159 million to make a movie just because they're a legend.

Hell, Del Toro has had more recent success than Scorsese and even he couldn't get funding for "At The Mountains Of Madness". And he didn't start pointing fingers. :yeshrug:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
nobody is getting handed $159 million to make a movie just because

Paramount fukked up. Why not address the truth of the matter that Paramount has no idea what they are doing. They funded Terminator Dark Fate and they funded Gemini Man both which were expensive and both which will be box office bombs...

I guarantee The Irishman would have made more money for them but they wanted to stop short of funding the whole thing so Netflix did and Netflix will reap the benefits from having it on their service..

..and Paramount probably ain't gonna be around much longer :yeshrug:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Paramount fukked up. Why not address the truth of the matter that Paramount has no idea what they are doing. They funded Terminator Dark Fate and they funded Gemini Man both which were expensive and both which will be box office bombs...

I guarantee The Irishman would have made more money for them but they wanted to stop short of funding the whole thing so Netflix did and Netflix will reap the benefits from having it on their service..

..and Paramount probably ain't gonna be around much longer :yeshrug:

You're trying to connect dots that aren't there.

Paramount had the domestic distribution rights for it. That's it. A Mexican company, Fabrica de Cine, offered to fund the movie.

Due to it's budget ballooning to an insane amount they stopped financing it. Also, around the same time Scorsese's latest movie flopped:

Martin Scorsese's The Irishman bought by Netflix

The change of backer is thought to have been a result of the disappointing commercial performance of Scorsese’s most recent film, the intense historical drama Silence. With a $46m production budget, Silence has so far taken just over $7m in the US – in stark contrast to Scorsese’s previous film for Paramount, The Wolf of Wall Street, which took $392m worldwide.

Like I said....dude hasn't had a hit movie since 2013. No studio on the planet was going to let him make "The Irishman" with the budget he wanted.

Because Fabrica de Cine stopped funding it, Paramount dropped distribution of it.

It had nothing to do with Paramount funding it, or choosing to green light other movies.

And it had nothing to do with comic book movies.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
You're trying to connect dots that aren't there.

Paramount had the domestic distribution rights for it. That's it.

Okay but Wolf of Wall Street was also a Paramount distributed film and made nearly $400M worldwide and then had a run with rentals/physicals due to awards season hype.

So even if they didn't recoup the money on Silence (which wasn't expensive) they should have stuck with Scorsese and dropped The Irishman in Fall '19 instead of funding big expensive projects like Terminator and Gemini Man that are going to lose a bunch of money...

They dropped the ball. I guarantee The Irishman would have been a bigger hit than those.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I'd be mad to if I was a legendary director being boxed out of theatres by cookie cutter films. His criticism is justified, and a fan of film it is kinda sad how low-effort films have dominated the box office.
He's not getting boxed out

Studios smartly tbh didn't give him $160 million+ to do a gangster movie.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
He's right in the sense that these particular movies haven't been made for adults, but rather for manchildren.

:umad: