Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Okay but Wolf of Wall Street was also a Paramount distributed film and made nearly $400M worldwide and then had a run with rentals/physicals due to awards season hype.

So even if they didn't recoup the money on Silence (which wasn't expensive) they should have stuck with Scorsese and dropped The Irishman in Fall '19 instead of funding big expensive projects like Terminator and Gemini Man that are going to lose a bunch of money...

They dropped the ball. I guarantee The Irishman would have been a bigger hit than those.

:gucci:

Man did you not pay attention to anything I just said?

Fabrica de Ciine was supposed to fund "The Irishman". Paramount was supposed to distribute.

Once Fabrica de Cine dropped funding for it, Paramount dropped it too. Because there was no movie to distribute.

After that Netflix stepped in to fund it. Theatrical distribution at that point was an after thought.

Paramount's successes or failures have nothing to do with Scorsese's funding for "The Irishman".

Like I said, you're connecting dots where there is no connection. Or dots, for that matter.

I'd be mad to if I was a legendary director being boxed out of theatres by cookie cutter films. His criticism is justified, and as a fan of film it is kinda sad how low-effort films have dominated the box office.

Fam....he didn't get boxed out. He had funding for "The Irishman" and went over budget by around $60 mill. The company funding it dropped it. Paramount, who was supposed to distribute the movie, dropped it.

And....that's it. After that Netflix picked it up.

Now, if you want to argue the point you just made, in general, :manny: I don't disagree but the narrative that somehow comic movies affected his ability to make his movie is 100% false.

Fred.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
The problem ain't his views. The problem is the timing of his comments.

Why wait until comic book movies are killing the box office....he can't get funding....and his latest movie is in theaters in a limited capacity....to voice these concerns?

So basically, it seems like if he had his own shyt in order....he probably wouldn't care enough to comment on comic movies.

Cue his "young people don't care about Jimmy Hoffa!" rant....which was equal parts hilarious, and sad.

And a clear cut, text book case of hating.

Homie I been into rap since 1985....so has everyone I know....and most of us thought KRS was in the wrong. For some of the same reasons as this Scorsese shyt.

And Wu clowned "Laffy Taffy" before a few shows....they didn't go on a month long campaign over it. If they did cats would've told them to get the shyt go, because at that point it's over kill.

Scorsese was making a few good points like 3-4 weeks ago....and I even said :manny: "that's his opinion"....but a month later, dude writing long ass articles about comic movies....the shyt is ridiculous.

Fred.
With all due respect to Scorsese, he definitely needs to fall back with those comments. He was getting a lot of flack for The Last Waltz because he put too much focus on Robbie Robertson instead of Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, and other members of The Band. Plus, nobody said anything about Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, which became the TV comedy series Alice.

As far as his comments about "young people not knowing about Jimmy Hoffa", they do know about Jimmy Hoffa, but that story has been told so many times it's hard to keep track. I personally want to see a mafia movie about the rise and fall of the Gambino Family and put the focus on four members: Roy Demeo, Remo Gaggi, John Gotti, and Paul Castallano, directed by Scorsese, of course. That would be a movie that I would pay for to watch in theatres.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Eh. His biggest movie world wide was 392 million. His biggest domestic is only 132 million. All four of his 100 million US grosses star Leo. Take Leo out of it and his biggest grossing movie is 73 million. I’d say that the statement about the masses is fairly accurate.

Martin Scorsese Movie Box Office Results

He’s still a good director, but he’s def not appealing to the masses.
U nikkas comparing movies that aren’t as easily palatable to super hero blockbuster hits that both kids and adults are fans of and can understand. Not everyone wants to see a gritty crime flick so the fact that them shyts do as well as they do is a big deal in itself.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
With all due respect to Scorsese, he definitely needs to fall back with those comments. He was getting a lot of flack for The Last Waltz because he put too much focus on Robbie Robertson instead of Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, and other members of The Band. Plus, nobody said anything about Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, which became the TV comedy series Alice.

As far as his comments about "young people not knowing about Jimmy Hoffa", they do know about Jimmy Hoffa, but that story has been told so many times it's hard to keep track. I personally want to see a mafia movie about the rise and fall of the Gambino Family and put the focus on four members: Roy Demeo, Remo Gaggi, John Gotti, and Paul Castallano, directed by Scorsese, of course. That would be a movie that I would pay for to watch in theatres.

I don't disagree but I can let a lot of shyt slide based on someone's status. Dude is a legend so even if I disagree with what he's saying I'll kinda be like "whatever".

But only up to a certain point man. Dude started flat out lying about why his latest movie didn't get funded and trying to make it seem like comic books blocked his shine or some shyt. Which is 100% bullshyt. And then on top of that people were in here either over looking that fact, or trying to rationalize why he was right, anyway.

Like I said recently in another thread, this comic book shyt makes some of these dudes lose their minds.

U nikkas comparing movies that aren’t as easily palatable to super hero blockbuster hits that both kids and adults are fans of and can understand. Not everyone wants to see a gritty crime flick so the fact that them shyts do as well as they do is a big deal in itself.

This is 100% facts but the fact that his movies were never really big money makers....coupled with the fact that his last movie flopped....on top of him being close to $60 million over budget on "The Irishman", getting dropped, and losing full theatrical distribution because of it....is why his shyt is on Netflix.

Dude tried to make it seem like comic movies muscled him out, which is goofy as fukk.

Fred.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
I don't disagree but I can let a lot of shyt slide based on someone's status. Dude is a legend so even if I disagree with what he's saying I'll kinda be like "whatever".

But only up to a certain point man. Dude started flat out lying about why his latest movie didn't get funded and trying to make it seem like comic books blocked his shine or some shyt. Which is 100% bullshyt. And then on top of that people were in here either over looking that fact, or trying to rationalize why he was right, anyway.

Like I said recently in another thread, this comic book shyt makes some of these dudes lose their minds.

This is 100% facts but the fact that his movies were never really big money makers....coupled with the fact that his last movie flopped....on top of him being close to $60 million over budget on "The Irishman", getting dropped, and losing full theatrical distribution because of it....is why his shyt is on Netflix.

Dude tried to make it seem like comic movies muscled him out, which is goofy as fukk.

Fred.
Most Def. Some folks in here actually thought that Scorsese was a DC stan, when he talked about ALL of the superhero movies not being considered cinema.

I'm a fan of Scorsese's work, but he needs to take a good, long, hard(pause), look at himself in the mirror. If he would have kept it 100 and said that "The reason that I couldn't get The Irishman funded because 1: There isn't an interest in mob movies in this day and age and 2: My main actors are all pushing 80 and the bulk of my movie's budget had gone to the de-aging process," this conversation would have ended eons ago.

I'm not saying that Scorsese is wrong, but this isn't the hill to die on.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
If your movie makes a lot of money or isn't on some pretentious artsy shyt it was low effort apparently. Yeah, I didn't get the memo either. lol

I didn't know a movie that made over a billion dollars that alot of fans loved was a LOW EFFORT!!!??:mjgrin:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Are you talking about the most profitable comic book movie of all time?
5450846421385216.png

Yeah endgame was amazing...:troll: Especially that entire 3rd act...:wow: on your left....

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah endgame was amazing...:troll: Especially that entire 3rd act...:wow: on your left....

"Are you talking about the most profitable comic book movie of all time?"

:jbhmm:

"Net profit is your business's revenue after subtracting all operating, interest, and tax expenses, in addition to deducting your COGS."