Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Some fair points there, posters need to stop the "hater"-angle now

YH84LUO.png

I get you like his movies, or think he's a legend, or you maybe agree with what he said....but he just eloquently explained why he's hating.

I don’t know a single filmmaker who doesn’t want to design films for the big screen, to be projected before audiences in theaters.

That includes me, and I’m speaking as someone who just completed a picture for Netflix. It, and it alone, allowed us to make “The Irishman” the way we needed to, and for that I’ll always be thankful. We have a theatrical window, which is great. Would I like the picture to play on more big screens for longer periods of time? Of course I would. But no matter whom you make your movie with, the fact is that the screens in most multiplexes are crowded with franchise pictures.

Dude wanted his new movie to get the same funding and attention as comic movies. When it didn't he complained about those movies not being cinema and "invading theaters".
That is the definition of hating, and what I told cats literally a month ago. And people swore him going to Netflix was an "artistic choice".
2Y3bYzI.png

I don't get why cats can't admit this. If Nas did the same thing to....I dunno, Cardi B....said he wished his last album got her streams....said she wasn't a "real artist" and shouldn't be in the genre....cats would 100% say he's hating. Even if they agreed with his over all point.

But since it's Martin Scorsese, he can do no wrong apparently.
rDpQOao.png

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He wrote a New York Times OP ed on this :dead:

Are Netflix making him do this shyt for promo?

People originally said "well, they keep asking him about it"....that ain't been true for like 2 weeks, and he's still talking about it.

This shyt is sad and ridiculous at the same time. It would be like Rakim going on a month long rant and writing think pieces on....I dunno, Lil Pump.

Fred.

toetoe

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When it didn't he complained about those movies not being cinema and "invading theaters".

Well, there's no evidence he got those views after the funding issues. He's always been conservative in his views on movies and cinema, surely?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well, there's no evidence he got those views after the funding issues. He's always been conservative in his views on movies and cinema, surely?

The problem ain't his views. The problem is the timing of his comments.

Why wait until comic book movies are killing the box office....he can't get funding....and his latest movie is in theaters in a limited capacity....to voice these concerns?

So basically, it seems like if he had his own shyt in order....he probably wouldn't care enough to comment on comic movies.

Cue his "young people don't care about Jimmy Hoffa!" rant....which was equal parts hilarious, and sad.

And a clear cut, text book case of hating.

Or KRS dissing Nelly... Or Wu dissing Laffy Taffy...

Homie I been into rap since 1985....so has everyone I know....and most of us thought KRS was in the wrong. For some of the same reasons as this Scorsese shyt.

And Wu clowned "Laffy Taffy" before a few shows....they didn't go on a month long campaign over it. If they did cats would've told them to get the shyt go, because at that point it's over kill.

Scorsese was making a few good points like 3-4 weeks ago....and I even said :manny: "that's his opinion"....but a month later, dude writing long ass articles about comic movies....the shyt is ridiculous.

Fred.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
You and I read something different. He didn't "shyt" on the genre in that article.

He's been shytting on the genre for months now and he's still finding subtle ways to invalidate it, despite being involved with the Joker movie, made by someone who set out to make a movie using the fanfare of a comic book character while cutting out as much influence from comic as he possibly could to maintain the illusion that it actually has anything to do with the source material.

And it all still comes down to him being salty that his movie had to be played on Netflix...who is probably the biggest culprit behind the shift in the way people would rather watch the more 'narrative' films at home and decide to step out to the theaters for something that justifies 20 foot screens and surround sound.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
YH84LUO.png

I get you like his movies, or think he's a legend, or you maybe agree with what he said....but he just eloquently explained why he's hating.

Dude wanted his new movie to get the same funding and attention as comic movies. When it didn't he complained about those movies not being cinema and "invading theaters".
That is the definition of hating, and what I told cats literally a month ago. And people swore him going to Netflix was an "artistic choice".
2Y3bYzI.png

I don't get why cats can't admit this. If Nas did the same thing to....I dunno, Cardi B....said he wished his last album got her streams....said she wasn't a "real artist" and shouldn't be in the genre....cats would 100% say he's hating. Even if they agreed with his over all point.

But since it's Martin Scorsese, he can do no wrong apparently.
rDpQOao.png

Fred.
Ain’t no point in arguing with these nikkas anymore. They obviously think of him as a second daddy who is immune to human emotions so once that is acknowledged we can cease further conversation because we will be getting no where. They kind of remind me of MAGA people. Once you just acknowledge you are only going to get so far with them you can decide to keep talking to the wall or keep it moving and do something more productive with your day.

I think nikkas just want the thread to be over 1k posts so they just going on and on again.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He's been shytting on the genre for months now and he's still finding subtle ways to invalidate it, despite being involved with the Joker movie, made by someone who set out to make a movie about a comic book character while cutting a out as much influence of comic as he possibly could to maintain the illusion that it actually has anything to do with the source material.

And it all still comes down to him being salty that his movie had to be played on Netflix...who is probably the biggest culprit behind the shift in the way people would rather watch the more 'narrative' films at home and decide to step out to the theaters for something that justifies 20 foot screens and surround sound.
thats one of the biggest ironies. I would say nikkas are just being intentionally obtuse ignoring this obvious fact at this point, but being that this thread is 1k posts and been going on for weeks, nah I’ve been giving them too much credit these dudes just really are dumb

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's been shytting on the genre for months now and he's still finding subtle ways to invalidate it, despite being involved with the Joker movie, made by someone who set out to make a movie using the fanfare of a comic book character while cutting out as much influence from comic as he possibly could to maintain the illusion that it actually has anything to do with the source material.

Criticism isnt shytting. All of this stems from him saying marvel movies aren't cinema which I admit is bad wording but what he said in the original article and subsequent articles gave further detail in what he meant.
Like I the marvel films and been reading comics since 89 but I agree with what he said and don't see it as an attack on what I like. If anything this (and Joker success) will give Disney a push to further stray away from the formula which will be a win for us.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Criticism isnt shytting. All of this stems from him saying marvel movies aren't cinema which I admit is bad wording but what he said in the original article and subsequent articles gave further detail in what he meant.
Like I the marvel films and been reading comics since 89 but I agree with what he said and don't see it as an attack on what I like. If anything this (and Joker success) will give Disney a push to further stray away from the formula which will be a win for us.

If you LOOK at the date where this entire argument started, it was literally right after "Joker" came into theaters. That isnt a coincidence :pachaha: