Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Scorsese Walks Back Marvel Comments: 'It's A Different Cinema Form'

"The tentpole films, the big comic book films, they're theme park movies — as well done as many of them are, at all levels," Scorsese told Entertainment Weekly. "It's a different cinema form or a new art form entirely. We're hoping there are theaters that show the films that are not that. And that if they're not going to show it that filmmakers still have an opportunity with streaming — it changes the experience, but otherwise, in two to three years now, it's not being done. A good filmmaker comes in from Italy or France comes in, the film has to be a [franchise] or they won't do it anymore."
Made that old nikka fall back :banderas:

stick to straight to Netflix movies my guy :salute: and we’ll stick to the red carpets and generation defining billion dollar making films :mjlit:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
This is low key hilarious because people been acting confused the whole thread....when his initial comments about blockbuster movies pushing out everything else was clearly talking about comic movies.

And this quote directly confirms that.

Fred.
You sound like a typical marvel Stan! :damn: scorsese isn’t human he could never display emotions like bitterness! :damn:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scorsese Walks Back Marvel Comments: 'It's A Different Cinema Form'

"The tentpole films, the big comic book films, they're theme park movies — as well done as many of them are, at all levels," Scorsese told Entertainment Weekly. "It's a different cinema form or a new art form entirely. We're hoping there are theaters that show the films that are not that. And that if they're not going to show it that filmmakers still have an opportunity with streaming — it changes the experience, but otherwise, in two to three years now, it's not being done. A good filmmaker comes in from Italy or France comes in, the film has to be a [franchise] or they won't do it anymore."
That's not walking back :russ: he is basically repeating what he previously said but clarifying a bit more

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Y'all can't read and judging by your reactions to his latest comments that just confirms the point. lol

Scorsese says it's a different art form entirely and you take that as walking back what he said lmao

That's not walking back :russ: he is basically repeating what he previously said but clarifying a bit more

:gucci:

Saying "comic books movies aren't cinema" is a criticism.

Saying "they're a new art form" is damn near complimentary. At the very least it's a neutral position.

Matter of fact, fukk comic movies. Imagine if an old head said "hip-hop isn't music" then a month later said "it's actually a new art form."

Nobody would think that's the same thing or them expanding on their original comments.
Seriously....this is the hill you're choosing to die on? :unimpressed:

Fred.

Daps
I don't think I made a public comment but up until this point i was riding with Marvel cause im a superhero movie fanatic

But I'm sitting up at home right now watching The Departed on Netflix and brehs.... this movie is a work of art

If this is the type of content that comes out the Scorcese wheel house, then I'm switching sides

I have been watching cookie cutter formulaic superhero movies for so long that I forgot what it's like to watch a real masterpiece

This movie is fantastic and I'm only halfway through it :banderas::wow:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't think I made a public comment but up until this point i was riding with Marvel cause im a superhero movie fanatic

But I'm sitting up at home right now watching The Departed on Netflix and brehs.... this movie is a work of art

If this is the type of content that comes out the Scorcese wheel house, then I'm switching sides

I have been watching cookie cutter formulaic superhero movies for so long that I forgot what it's like to watch a real masterpiece

This movie is fantastic and I'm only halfway through it :banderas::wow:

It's not even close to Scorsese's best film. :manny:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci:

Saying "comic books movies aren't cinema" is a criticism.

Saying "they're a new art form" is damn near complimentary. At the very least it's a neutral position.

Matter of fact, fukk comic movies. Imagine if an old head said "hip-hop isn't music" then a month later said "it's actually a new art form."

Nobody would think that's the same thing or them expanding on their original comments.
Seriously....this is the hill you're choosing to die on? :unimpressed:

Fred.
Read all of what he said carefully it was more than him saying MCU is not cinema. I and several other posters have already gone of this.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean....at this point it's whatever man. He's old, comic movies ain't his speed. I get it.

But hopefully now cats can stop acting like he took some kind of heroic stance against lowly comic movies defiling the sanctity of cinema.

All this shyt started because he couldn't get his new movie made at a "traditional studio", with a full theatrical release.

Like I said from jump, dude is just bitter.

Fred.
These points arent mutually exclusive. He clearly doesnt respect the quality of marvel-type movies and their theatre dominance probably .makes deepens his hatred for them. But that doesnt negate the fact that he might have an actual disadain for them. You're trying to say "oh he just salty his shyt not getting play" and that may be true, but he probably doesnt fukk with them either way. His motivation for taking a stance is irrelevant because quite frankly none of us know.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
These points arent mutually exclusive. He clearly doesnt respect the quality of marvel-type movies and their theatre dominance probably .makes deepens his hatred for them. But that doesnt negate the fact that he might have an actual disadain for them. You're trying to say "oh he just salty his shyt not getting play" and that may be true, but he probably doesnt fukk with them either way. His motivation for taking a stance is irrelevant because quite frankly none of us know.

I don't care if he fukks with them either way. :manny:

I'm saying I seriously doubt he would even be a speaking on this topic in any capacity if #1 his latest movie got a traditional release and #2 he got it funded by a "regular" studio and not Netflix.

So no, the problem ain't that he doesn't like comic movies. The problem is the impetus for going on this month long rant seems to be bitterness that comic movies are getting the attention he thinks "The Irishman" deserves. It's not as if he randomly went on a :damn: "young people don't care about Jimmy Hoffa!" rant for no apparent reason.

"Comic movies aren't very good" and "Scorsese has handled this situation like a clown" aren't mutually exclusive, either.

Read all of what he said carefully it was more than him saying MCU is not cinema. I and several other posters have already gone of this.

"He said more than...."

Ok cool. He still said "they're not cinema". That's a direct quote.

Now he's saying "they're a new art form". Another direct quote.

If you want to split hairs and say both of those statements had more nuance to them, knock yourself out....but they're not similar. They're not even in the same ball park.

Fred.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't care if he fukks with them either way. :manny:

I'm saying I seriously doubt he would even be a speaking on this topic in any capacity if #1 his latest movie got a traditional release and #2 he got it funded by a "regular" studio and not Netflix.

So no, the problem ain't that he doesn't like comic movies. The problem is the impetus for going on this month long rant seems to be bitterness that comic movies are getting the attention he thinks "The Irishman" deserves. It's not as if he randomly went on a :damn: "young people don't care about Jimmy Hoffa!" rant for no apparent reason.

"Comic movies aren't very good" and "Scorsese has handled this situation like a clown" aren't mutually exclusive, either.

"He said more than...."

Ok cool. He still said "they're not cinema". That's a direct quote.

Now he's saying "they're a new art form". Another direct quote.

If you want to split hairs and say both of those statements had more nuance to them, knock yourself out....but they're not similar. They're not even in the same ball park.

Fred.
Well you have to look at the whole qoute. He still says they are theme park rides. He clearly has his own definition in terms of what he considers quality cinema and the whichever MCU film(s) he saw still doesn't fit that criteria.
You got to think his first quote came from being asked out of the blue being frank with his opinion. This recent comes after being able to think about it, hearing his words being twisted, etc., and being prepared for answering it in a way that doesn't push away the people that really love those types of movies.