Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Disney's whole business model is convincing people that the things they create are iconic pieces of American culture that should be shared with your children and cherished for 100 years. Its clear they view criticism/hate as a threat...

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Disney's whole business model is convincing people that the things they create are iconic pieces of American culture that should be shared with your children and cherished for 100 years. Its clear they view criticism/hate as a threat...
Or maybe they just enjoy the movies and don't buy that what Scorsese does is a completely different category. No one has to like Disney/Marvel movies and the train ain't stopping anytime soon really there is no threat. It's more the other way around. Scorsese is having problems getting his movies in the cinema not Disney.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Or maybe they just enjoy the movies and don't buy that what Scorsese does is a completely different category. No one has to like Disney/Marvel movies and the train ain't stopping anytime soon really there is no threat. It's more the other way around. Scorsese is having problems getting his movies in the cinema not Disney.
To be clear the "they" that views criticism as a threat that I was referring to is specifically Disney/Iger so I don't think "they just enjoy the movies" applies.

The threat lies in how these movies are viewed nostalgically. Commercial crap or iconic moments.

And if Scorcese is struggling to get movies in theaters while Disney use their monoply powers to push any thing it wants...that sounds like an argument against Disney on artistic merits

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
To be clear the "they" that views criticism as a threat that I was referring to is specifically Disney/Iger so I don't think "they just enjoy the movies" applies.

The threat lies in how these movies are viewed nostalgically. Commercial crap or iconic moments.

And if Scorcese is struggling to get movies in theaters while Disney use their monoply powers to push any thing it wants...that sounds like an argument against Disney on artistic merits
I think the consensus will be iconic moments no matter what acclaimed director criticizes them. They really not hurting shyt, people who agreed that Marvel movies suck before he said something fell one way and those who enjoyed the movies fell the other. They didn't convince anyone of anything just solidified opinions people already had.
Scorsese was trying to get the Irishman distributed by Paramount and they turned him down not Disney.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

Kinda like southern trap rappers get mad offended when anyone talks ill of their cheaply made fast food music.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Coppola is but I don't see anything wrong with what Martin said. Of the literal sense of the word, Martin is wrong about the MCU not being "cinema", but obviously he has a different definition.

And the remark about keeping them out of theaters was lame too. If people don't want to see a movie, they wont. Making it seem like Disney is a scourge forcing people to watch it's movies at the detriment to society is the same rhetoric used against things like music and video games.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And the remark about keeping them out of theaters was lame too. If people don't want to see a movie, they wont. Making it seem like Disney is a scourge forcing people to watch it's movies at the detriment to society is the same rhetoric used against things like music and video games.
You gonna have to provide a link because I don't remember reading about him saying that. I do remember a him talking about how most theaters only cater to the blockbusters and provide little variety which leads people to assume only certain types of films are only suitable for theatrical release.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
You gonna have to provide a link because I don't remember reading about him saying that. I do remember a him talking about how most theaters only cater to the blockbusters and provide little variety which leads people to assume only certain types of films are only suitable for theatrical release.

Martin Scorsese Takes Marvel Movie Comments a Step Further

but thats hardly a new thing. theaters are out to make money, why the issue now? honestly thats the only issue i have with his comments. if he doesnt like comic movies, thats fine but comic movies have been a thing for decades at this point did he express his dislike with the various batman movies over the decades? the misfires with movies like catwoman and daredevil? the butchering of franco belgian comics movies like dylan dog, valerian, and tintin?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Martin Scorsese Takes Marvel Movie Comments a Step Further

but thats hardly a new thing. theaters are out to make money, why the issue now? honestly thats the only issue i have with his comments. if he doesnt like comic movies, thats fine but comic movies have been a thing for decades at this point did he express his dislike with the various batman movies over the decades? the misfires with movies like catwoman and daredevil? the butchering of franco belgian comics movies like dylan dog, valerian, and tintin?
I didn't take that as they should be taken out but what I previously posted. Comic book films been around since he was born with the serials. I doubt he has a problem with comic book based movies of which they all are not superhero movies (History of Violence and Road to Perdition) but I also doubt he goes out of his way to see them.
What we do know is that he tried to at least watch one MCU movie and wasn't feeling it. We would've never known either if an interviewer didn't ask him if he watched the MCU movies.

I don't know the logistics of running a movie theater but I do know they make their money from movies if the film has legs but I'm not sure how things work now since a number of theater chains are offering subscription models

Last edited: