Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Marvel movies cant be cinema, because Disney won't allow them to be

They're made by committee films

I like them for what they are and that's one of the reasons they e been so successful but lets be real
Why is 'made by committee' so bad if it works? Are all movie producers bad? Is collaborating bad?
It's not cinema?!
"I mean it played in theaters." :skip:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Why is 'made by committee' so bad if it works? Are all movie producers bad? Is collaborating bad?
It's not cinema?!
"I mean it played in theaters." :skip:
When he said it's not cinema I know what be meant

If u dont its cool
But hes speaking in terms of innovation and quality

And everyone knows marvel has a right leash on its directors

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
marvel just told a story across 21 movies and 11 years. How the fukk is that not innovative?
In terms of direction and quality
Not how many movies it took to get to the endpoint
When you make these movies the way they do, there's only a certain amount of good that they're going to be

Ita nothing wrong with them existing, but I think people are annoyed how overblown and hopes up they get, but that's the internet for you

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
When he said it's not cinema I know what be meant

If u dont its cool
But hes speaking in terms of innovation and quality

And everyone knows marvel has a right leash on its directors
Oh, it's either you get it or you don't? But don't ask me what 'it' is. I think that's the definition of pretentious. :mjlol:
The majority of directors who have worked for Marvel don't seem to know they are on a tight leash, they say it is an enjoyable experience. But I guess they are all hacks? :picard:

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Oh, it's either you get it or you don't? But don't ask me what 'it' is. I think that's the definition of pretentious. :mjlol:
The majority of directors who have worked for Marvel don't seem to know they are on a tight leash, they say it is an enjoyable experience. But I guess they are all hacks? :picard:
Exactly. You either you get it or you dont

Didnt read the rest because it's just more fanboy whining

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Its cool the disrespect legends and defending monopolies now?

If Denzel or Spike Lee said the same thing, you would disrespect them too, huh?
because he is a guy that made a bunch of good movies does that make him infallible? Is he not human and therefore express emotion?

He was just ranting about how marvel has changed everything he has once known to the point where he has been forced to release a project on Netflix. He’s mad. That’s okay. That’s life.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
marvel just told a story across 21 movies and 11 years. How the fukk is that not innovative?
nikkas are going on about his credentials like marvel didn’t just equally establish a generation defining saga with multiple failed copy cats. What marvel is doing will be remembered in cinema forever. Sorry :yeshrug:

Daps
In terms of direction and quality
Not how many movies it took to get to the endpoint
When you make these movies the way they do, there's only a certain amount of good that they're going to be

Ita nothing wrong with them existing, but I think people are annoyed how overblown and hopes up they get, but that's the internet for you

I think ignoring the scale and # of movies is a way of moving the goal posts. How many franchises are capable of existing past 3 to 4 movies and maybe an unrelated tv show?

And in terms of hype, I’m not sure how old you are, but I’m in my early 30s, and I suspect a lot of the posters are around the same age. We all grew up on comic books and Saturday morning cartoons. We spent the 90s getting excited whenever Hollywood would make a comic book movie, only to be disappointed when the movie had a barely recognizable character and story, and showed a terrible version of the costume of the 3rd act.

I love the Marvel movies because they embrace the material and aren’t afraid to be what they are. I remember losing my damn mind in 2002 when Sony dropped a Spider-Man that was true to the character that had him in costume over 1/2 the movie. Marvel does that with basically every movie. I used to go see every comic book movie, no matter how bad it was because I was worried Hollywood would stop making them. So yeah, Im gonna be hype that Marvel basically created a HD version of the giant action figure battles I used to have.

Daps

Well, the last theme park ride they adapted made over 4 billion across 5 movies.

Pirates of the Caribbean Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

And the lowest grossing one made about $200 million more than Martin’s highest grossing film. Disney is about its money.

And again, Martin is a great director with amazing vision and artistic ability. But if I’m trying to make as much money as possible, I’m not giving this man anywhere close to what he wanted for the Irish Man budget.

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
I think ignoring the scale and # of movies is a way of moving the goal posts. How many franchises are capable of existing past 3 to 4 movies and maybe an unrelated tv show?

And in terms of hype, I’m not sure how old you are, but I’m in my early 30s, and I suspect a lot of the posters are around the same age. We all grew up on comic books and Saturday morning cartoons. We spent the 90s getting excited whenever Hollywood would make a comic book movie, only to be disappointed when the movie had a barely recognizable character and story, and showed a terrible version of the costume of the 3rd act.

I love the Marvel movies because they embrace the material and aren’t afraid to be what they are. I remember losing my damn mind in 2002 when Sony dropped a Spider-Man that was true to the character that had him in costume over 1/2 the movie. Marvel does that with basically every movie. I used to go see every comic book movie, no matter how bad it was because I was worried Hollywood would stop making them. So yeah, Im gonna be hype that Marvel basically created a HD version of the giant action figure battles I used to have.

I dont think ignoring the scale is ignoring the goal posts. I dont care how many movies it takes to tell a story.

I care if its good. Scorcese was talking about quality. If you disagree, cool, but counting the number of movies it took to get to the finish line as an accomplishment is dumb.

I'm not e en interested in every single Marvel movie and I doubt t most people are either. I'll catch that shyt on Netdlix but I wasnt rushing to theaters to see Spider-Man, Thor, or Ant-Man.