Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
oh and the more i think about it.

martin's movie are nuffin more than superhero mafia villain movies. That have more in common with a comic over anything.
what is the difference between the godfather and joker.

both are fukk'n villains and the origin of two villain mafia bosses. one that arises from the possible intended heir being killed[wacked].
Sounds like a comic book movie to me.
As all the good comic movies are and in essence been exposes in villainy and the origin of the villain just like all of Marty's movies.

I find no difference between godfather epic and joker.
as a matter of fact. The editing process of both films both mirror one another. When it comes to how things were changed to get away from being too comic book'y as well.
yet still have the same crime romance expose.
that his genre of film making comics derived, bolstered or held over from a back and forth if both industries.

As a matter of fact...
if anything has an actual visual screen layout. It is in essence.
a comic at its core anyway.
not to mention most movies have a 2d panel based layout of the entire film and dialogue/camera/story telling etc.

which is what a comic book is at its very core.

So at the end of the day.
a movie is really nuffin but a visual layout medium.
or a comic brought to life in a medium away from print.

as real talk,..
Marty took this same critique for his films.
so I do not understand where this is coming from.
Plus how he could be so pompous.
not to understand the American history with comics and his usual film sweet spot of content as well.

plus how his actual idea of a critical film is a female romance rag comic.
just flipped and bounced into a book nd then film medium as well. As the draw for those books all developed from the readership of women and men. Yet most importantly women in the build.
to the draw for the type of movie Marty makes as well.
Plus was definitely kept alive and in drawing legacy all grim comics.
as reqdership for those eventual books.
all came from comic readership and back and forth and So on.
as a matter of fact.

I would believe the comic community, is largely the ones.
Who actually championed his film at its critical core, from grass roots to accreditation as well.

so I just don't get this critique in small soundbite.
nor grad scheme at all.

it is that privilege talking. Marty.

put up or stfu.

art barr

Last edited:

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't agree with that. The movie industry was already in decline. If anything, Marvel saved it. Before Marvel came and changed the game, people were talking about the decline of movie theaters. They were talking about movies premiering in the theater, and on some sort of streaming platform, the same day. I believe that IFC did this with a few movies. Morgan Freeman was invested in a venture to do that with some movies. The movie theater industry was shook. The comic book movie got people to come out to the theaters, and put buts in seats.
Christopher Nolan pushing IMAX for The Dark Knight and James Cameron pushing 3D for Avatar saved it. Both of those movies were the trojan horses Hollywood needed for movie goers to be comfortable paying the surcharge for more expensive formats. In the US, tickets sold are actually hovering around where they were in 1995-1997 with 1998 to 2004 being the peak years. Those premium formats and a higher average ticket price are helping maintain a status quo. The only problem is that ever increasing shareholder expectations and increasing production costs means revenue(at least in the US) being stagnant is killing studio interest in putting non-blockbuster/new-IP based blockbusters in theaters.

The general consensus split for what box office revenue that goes to the studios/producers is 55% in the US, 45% Foreign, and 25% China. Let's do Hobbs & Shaw as an example.

The production budget was 200M, we don't have official marketing but lets say it was 150M for a total of 350M to make,market, and project.

Worldwide gross = 758M
173M Domestic = 95.15M
386M Foreign = 173.7M
199M China = 49.75M

So out of the 758M grossed, only 318.6M went to Universal/producers. As it stands Hobbs & Shaw is in the hole 31M. Now obviously selling the TV rights to HBO or TNT in addition to rentals/bluray/digital sales will help but for all intents and purposes a movie that grossed 700M god damn dollars is only going to bring Universal a meager profit. That paints a grim picture for Hollywood as most blockbusters aren't making close to 700M but are still in the 250-300M make and market range. Basically this current blockbuster model is unsustainable and the studios need to re-calibrate the general audience's tastes for what movies are worthy of seeing on the big screen before more of them go the way of 20th Century Fox.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Being honest, im not spending money like that to see some Italians or Irish folks smoking, cursing, and shooting each other in a story thats been told by the same director numerous times already. Im just not going to take the money, time, and effort to see shyt unless its something big and im worried about being spoiled on it.

I go see a Marvel movie and its characters i grew up reading about right there on the screen kicking ass for the first time. I leave happy and i can talk about the movie to my friends because everyone has seen it. If i go asking folks if they seen the Irishman they gonna say "who?".

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Marty that old hip hop head telling y'all future and drake are wack.
Which again is ironic, because I'm not the biggest Future fan and definitely not a Drake fan but to deny that they got hits would be hating

You're lying to yourself if you never let the windows down and bumped "God's Plan" or "Mask Off" after you just got the car washed

shyt...Future verse on "Kings Dead" alone damn near blew out my speakers

La di da di da, slob on me knob
Pass me some syrup, fukk me in the car
La di da di da, mothafukk the law
Chitty chitty bang, murder everything
bytch, I'm on a roll, and I put that on the gang!!!

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Which again is ironic, because I'm not the biggest Future fan and definitely not a Drake fan but to deny that they got hits would be hating

You're lying to yourself if you never let the windows down and bumped "God's Plan" or "Mask Off" after you just got the car washed

shyt...Future verse on "Kings Dead" alone damn near blew out my speakers

La di da di da, slob on me knob
Pass me some syrup, fukk me in the car
La di da di da, mothafukk the law
Chitty chitty bang, murder everything
bytch, I'm on a roll, and I put that on the gang!!!
I don't listen to either dude.

:unimpressed:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Thread would be 100x better if cats would stop being so disingenuous.

You know damn well even though he said Marvel he's also talking about shyt like "Venom", "Justice League", "Aqua Man", etc.

And hell, probably "Logan" and "The Dark Knight" too. He's just old and don't give enough of a fukk to differentiate between them all. Kinda like how old folks used to call every video game "Nintendo".

But yeah....it's Martin fukking Scorsese. The odds of him posted up in the crib enjoying "Wonder Woman" are zero. Stop acting like he just means Marvel movies.

Fred.
Fam, is anyone in here claiming this as a win for whatever other comic book universe they prefer? This thread is full of nikkas ready to declare jihad because the MCU was denigrated by a legend. I just finished reading every post and nobody is saying "This proves DC or Sony is better" . No one thinks Scorcese has a soft spot for any particular company. Multitudes of people are furious at the company he named. Yet you felt it necessary to tell us "It's not like he's a DC fan!:damn:" Do you think this thread would be this long or have taken the tone it did if he said "Trash like Batman vs Superman isn't cinema:scusthov:"? The same stans would be flooding in here with their custom Marvel smilies having a circle jerk. There would be no where near this level of caping or people trying to talk down the validity or worthiness of the opinion of an all time great director:heh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Fam, is anyone in here claiming this as a win for whatever other comic book universe they prefer? This thread is full of nikkas ready to declare jihad because the MCU was denigrated by a legend. I just finished reading every post and nobody is saying "This proves DC or Sony is better" . No one thinks Scorcese has a soft spot for any particular company.

:gucci:

If you read every post how the hell did you miss me just arguing with a guy saying Scorsese probably isn't including stuff like "The Dark Knight" or "Logan"?

So yeah, there's obviously people that think he just means the MCU. Which is silly and based solely on their preferences.

Dude just did an interview talking about he's upset at big budget block buster movies because he can't get his own projects funded....directly after that does another interview mentioning the MCU....comic movies are block busters in 2019. From "Wonder Woman" to "Endgame". He clearly don't give a fukk about comic movies across the board.

And if the shoe was on the other foot and he said "comic movies are trash....stuff like what DC does"....I would point out he obviously doesn't just mean DC.

Fred.

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
My ignore list grew a little so I can only imagine the level of fury being displayed at one man's opinion. If you like Marvel films that's perfectly fine. It's perfectly fine if you think they're the best type of films being put out. Scorcese's opinion is also more than ok.

The thing is if Martin fukking Scorcese, a guy who has more than a little bit of credibility in giving his opinion on film, said Transformers or Fast & Furious movies weren't cinema, this thread wouldn't be damn near 500 replies. This is the cost of stannery: hurt feelings over shyt that you have no true vested interest in besides personal enjoyment. It's all well and good to get your laughs off at the RT scores or box office numbers of "rival"(I laughed typing that out:mjlol:) comic book franchises, but when a legend, whose opinion can't be easily brushed aside, shyts on your toy you suddenly want to respect the merits of subjectivity and every type of movies place in the entertainment realm. It wasn't okay that people might like the mindless enjoyment of a film like Venom, or the different tone of Man of Steel, but when a gawd like Scorcese includes your precious Marvel films in the trash bin category alongside those aforementioned films, it's time to pull the cape out for comic book movies:ohhh:Suddenly, the value of having different film options for all types of viewers to enjoy is important, when before it was gucci to pray for the failure of other studios movies merely for the studio you stan to get the rights to certain nikkas in tights.
The MCU is most definitely cinema. Theme parks are places people go to for entertainment, just like movie theatres, stage plays, libraries, concerts, renaissance fairs, haunted houses, bars, sporting events, brothels, and strip clubs:mjlit:I wouldn't get mad if someone who goes to spoken word open mic nights for fun thought going to illegal midget fight clubs for fun was beneath them. So don't get mad at Martin Scorcese disliking your version of illegal midget fight clubs:hubie:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FACTS

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
:gucci:

If you read every post how the hell did you miss me just arguing with a guy saying Scorsese probably isn't including stuff like "The Dark Knight" or "Logan"?

So yeah, there's obviously people that think he just means the MCU. Which is silly and based solely on their preferences.

Dude just did an interview talking about he's upset at big budget block buster movies because he can't get his own projects funded....directly after that does another interview mentioning the MCU....comic movies are block busters in 2019. From "Wonder Woman" to "Endgame". He clearly don't give a fukk about comic movies across the board.

And if the shoe was on the other foot and he said "comic movies are trash....stuff like what DC does"....I would point out he obviously doesn't just mean DC.

Fred.
This?:
Doubt he watched any of the films you mentioned maybe Logan and the Dark Knight. But he had a bit of involvement with Joker.

You keep acting like he said he watched all of them which we don't know since he hasn't said so. We don't know which movies he saw but in regards to his comment we know it was a MCU movie(s) he wasn't feeling :yeshrug:.
We can only speculate but I would presume he probably peep the ones that had Best Picture Oscar hype just to see what the fuss was about which is why I brought up Logan and The Dark Knight (Nolan directing might be another reason for him to want to peep, but that is just me speculating).
That's people treating Scorcese's opinion as some sort of validation of their preferred comic book movies?:mjtf: Breh, you came in here and called the replies disingenuous because Scorcese most likely means all comic book movies in general when before that it was just a bunch of people laughing at Marvel stans for being in their feelings or disagreeing with Scorcese. The guy you were "arguing" with said he doubts Scorcese even has watched the movies you listed except for maybe a couple. How is that people thinking Scorcese just means Marvel? Instead of merely agreeing or disagreeing with Scorcese's point, you felt it necessary to call out non-existent people acting like Scorcese wasn't including non-Marvel films. So again, who are these people, before your first post, who claimed he was just talking about Marvel? Who even cared to make the distinction?

I could at least see if you posted that after dude said this:
Don't think he has a problem with comic book based movies (he had some involvement in the Joker movie) just the MCU, which I can understand. They are kind of like the CW DC shows where they follow a similar template.
But you were already fighting ghosts by the time dude said that, fam:mjlol:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Being honest, im not spending money like that to see some Italians or Irish folks smoking, cursing, and shooting each other in a story thats been told by the same director numerous times already. Im just not going to take the money, time, and effort to see shyt unless its something big and im worried about being spoiled on it.

I go see a Marvel movie and its characters i grew up reading about right there on the screen kicking ass for the first time. I leave happy and i can talk about the movie to my friends because everyone has seen it. If i go asking folks if they seen the Irishman they gonna say "who?".

You act like the Irishman isn't gonna be on Netflix :smugford:

Like more people are not gonna watch it than ant man and the wasp