Mansa Musa was the richest man in history, had the most wealthiest empire and it's not even taught

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
aren't some brothers trying to get a movie about him....
see this is where tyler perry and oprah needs to come togethe if they can stop with the minstrel shows,,,, they have studios, and if we pull more resources, we can start our own distribution... that way we wont have to whitewash our ancestors stories, about some irrelevant white devil, who they try to make the hero and savior
tbh, I'd rather people like Tyler Perry and Oprah use their wealth and buy huge land that allows black entrepreneur to pursuit their dreams on some BWS shyt instead of trivial things like movies and entertainment.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Has no one ever played Sid Meier's Civilation game? It's amazing how much "history" they actually put in that game. It's like real history is sitting in a chamber somewhere and they say okay, we'll throw it in this video game, but people will think a lot of it is made up, because it is in fact a video game.

mcdivit85

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sound Reasoning
It's about the burden of evidence.

Even tho Africans taught the Greeks philosophy, math, science, etc. we don't have the written evidence of who actually was responsible for teachings. Pythagoras may have got his sh*t from an African, but it's an African that we have no record of. We just believe that he got it from them.

Hey, I believe that history is written by the "winners" and that white supremacy has re-written the events. But at the same time, we just don't have the names and the documents, that definitively show it.

I think it's good to learn that there were complex civilizations in Africa that had an impact and brought knowledge to Ancient Greece/Rome. But I just don't think it's enough to completely negate "white history" because the societies we live in today are based on those learnings (even though they came originally from Africans). I'm ok with our educational system continuing to teach "white history" but with additional focus on known and documented African contributions and at least some acknowledgement that there may have been more that went undocumented.

We don't have much of the "evidence" because it was copied, Europeanized and then destroyed by the very white people you speak of :francis:

Peace

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The reality is, Africa was very old by the time the first European society gained traction. Much less became any form of empire. Kemet (Egypt) alone already had 20 plus dynasties before it was invaded by outsiders. And Kemet was the child of inner Africa, so we're still learning how far back those Nile Valley Civilizations go.

Because we live in a system of white supremacy, we tell history from the white perspective. So, we denote times in relation to Europe such as the "Dark Ages" or "Middle Ages." When during that same period, Africa was booming and trumped Europe and Asia in almost every way imaginable.

So, in history class, black children are being taught history on the European clock. Not the African clock. Because much of time that Europe was struggling, Africa was not. In fact, the only reason Europe stopped struggling is because of Africa and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade that spurred western hemisphere expansion and cultivation.

If the Moors (Africans) had not been expelled out of Spain in the late 1400s, Ferdinand and Isabella would not have been able to unite and finance Columbus (Cristobal Colon) to open up shop in the "new world." Had this not happened, Europe would have continued in its depravity and would imploded upon itself in tribal warfare. The "new world" was what saved Europe. African labor is what cultivated the "new world" and enriched Europe.

I tell people all the time that White Supremacy is a relatively new phenomenon in terms of world history. But many people can't conceptualize that.

Peace

this. i tell people the same shyt. their reign on top is a blip on the map in the context of world history.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like THEY SCHOOLs would ever enlighten US on our opulent BLACKEXCELLENCE origin:scust::mjpls::wow:

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
tbh, I'd rather people like Tyler Perry and Oprah use their wealth and buy huge land that allows black entrepreneur to pursuit their dreams on some BWS shyt instead of trivial things like movies and entertainment.

Movies would give blacks around the world a feeling of value and self-worth in their people, which would inspire more blacks to do great things. Iconography is a powerful tool. That's why whites have been using it to perpetuate WS for the last 300 years.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Western hemisphere expansion and cultivation via the Trans-Atlantic slave trade did not explode Western European wealth? :comeon:

You're asking a question that I'm sure you know the answer to. So, let's skip the back and forth. What's your counter point? :jbhmm:

Peace

I can't believe that he asked that question either. That was astounding. People can not even make the connection between slavery and the resulting industrial revolution that occurred in Europe and the USA.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
You're right, Mansa Musa was an incredible historical figure, I didn't really know about him until I was in the 6th grade and I went to the library and wrote a report. But his life story couldn't be written in a script.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Public Education in America is run by middle and upper class white women, so you can't be shocked

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
I can't believe that he asked that question either. That was astounding. People can not even make the connection between slavery and the resulting industrial revolution that occurred in Europe and the USA.

in the future, maybe read down like five posts to see what the full context of a post is before you make one like this.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
What school did you nikkas go to:what:?

I went to school in Alabama and they had a whole chapter on him and his conquests in EVERY history book.

They said that he was the richest person ever and all that..
If you teach that Africa created some of the largest, if not the largest, empires known to man, then there goes the idea of "white supremacy" :skip:

If you teach that the wealth of Mansa Musa would dwarf that of Bill Gates, then there goes the idea of "white supremacy" :sas2:

If you teach that African history period, then there goes the idea of "white supremacy" :russ:

Hell, if you taught American history correctly, then there goes the idea of "white supremacy" :mjlol:

Peace
That was Genghis Khan...

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i don't have a counter point, i want to know where you got the info for that and if it is concrete info or just something you personally deduced. i am not arguing or attacking. last week, i started reading about mali, ghana, songhay(sic).

What he was saying is that the Moors being expelled out of Spain was the beginning of the Europeans moving in on the Africans. Before that time the Moors controlled the trade in Southern Europe and North Africa. The Moors had a trading partnership with the Kingdom of Mali. The Kingdom of Mali controlled trade from the Sahel to the forest belt through Mandinka traders called (Dyula); so Mali's trade routes covered all the way through the modern countries of West Africa from the Akan people in Ivory Coast and Ghana to the Yoruba people and Hausa people in modern day Nigeria.

fab6d9ed1a603583719ce0c1c5af8e67.jpg

It was the Moors that informed the White people of Spain and Portugal about the Black people in Sub-Saharan Africa. That is why after the Moors were expelled from Spain by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella it was the Spainards and the Portuguesse that were the first Europeans to go and trade with the Africans South of the Sahara Desert. Instead of going to Mali through the desert like the Moors did; the Spainards and Portuguesse went by Sea and in around 1448 they landed in Cape Verde off of the coast of modern day Mauritania, Senegal and Gambia and they moved towards the mainland (on a side note Portugal explorers also stumbled upon the Kingdom of Kongo and they went around the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) later on). This is a map of Mali is literally the only thing that Spain and Portugal knew about Mali at the time:

6ce08390049a34ec6cb53a9655574a4e.jpg

Mali's contact with Spain and Portugal was literally the beginning of the end of many African Empires. The first to go in to decline was Mali, because many Malians (especially the Mandinkas/Mandingos) began to immigrate from the desert Kingdom and towards the coast in order to set up and control the coastal trade with Spain and Portugal; but another reason that the Malians began to leave was because the Taureg people and the Songhay Kingdom rebelled. The movement towards the coast and the later movement by more Malians are usually collectively referred to as the "Mane Invasion", because it took a couple of centuries for it to be completed and there was a lot of conflict between the Mandinkas and the coastal tribes that they were moving in on. It was that conflict and warfare with the coastal people that led to so many prisoners of war eventually being sold into slavery to Portugal and Spanish slave traders (it should also be noted that Spanish Explorer Christopher Columbus had stumbled his way into the Americas in 1492 which is significant).

Most African Americans are descended directly from the Mandinka people and the other people that lived in around the Kingdom of Mali (Bambaran, Mandingo, Susu, Vai, Mende, Wolof, Fulani, Gulla (Geechee) etc.). We know this, because of the agriculture and animal husbandry (cultivation of rice, indigo and other crops and the handling of cattle and blacksmiths); foods (Jambalaya (which is Jollof Rice), Gumbo, Hoppin John); music (country, blues, jazz, gospel, soul, rock and roll, rap, etc); and many words like jamboree, canoe, banjo, banana, etc. We have subsequently learned that many people brought as slaves from in and around the Kingdom of Mali were Muslim and many of them were literate; they could read and write. Even shouting in African American Churches and African Americans playing of the dozens is believed to be related to the Mandinkas/Mandingos.

Portuguese Explorations and West Africa
Project MUSE - Bound to Africa: the Mandinka Legacy in the New World
Mandinka people - Wikipedia

Last edited:

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps

So they went from living in an empire to being sold as slave? was there not an empire after mali in the same general location?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What's even more interesting about Mansa Musa is that his uncle, Abu Bakr, set out on an expedition to explore the Western Hemisphere from which he did not return. This is one example of Africans sailing to the Americas way before Europe sent out expeditions.

But historically, we've been able to confirm that many Africans had traveled to and lived in The Americas before Europe had reached these shores. Dr. Ivan Sertima goes into great detail in his book "They Came Before Columbus."

Peace

Mansa Abu Bakr was actually Mansa Musa's brother. Columbus diary recorded him seeing a Mosque in Cuba on one of his voyages, so it is generally believed that Abu Bakar made it to the Americas.

Mansa Abubakari II, The 'Voyager King' - Africa's Greatest Explorer