Man Turns Down A Half Billion Dollar Buyout Of His Company To Stay Black Owned

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
We keep asking what is it gonna take, what are the answers to us fixing our communities, becoming more independent etc.

Stuff like what this man did is what it's going to take. We have to be willing to turn down bigger money to sell out and instead be comfortable with the still relatively big net worth we have. In the black community, wnership > immediate money.

I would rather own my business, still be a multi millionaire(even if its not 500 million), have the ability to grow my business and be an example of black entrepreneurship for my people than to give our oppressors even more capital.

Now of course this is within reason. If my company is worth nothing and a big billion dollar company offers me hundreds of millions, I can understand looking at the bigger picture and selling, but ask yourself this - if a company can think so highly of your business that they would offer you that much, you're already a millionaire with the right moves and you don't even know it.

Salute this man and stop boasting about how he's a better man than you and how you couldn't have done it in his shoes.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
he could have taken that deal and created more black owned business he has a mba from stanford he'd come up with something :yeshrug:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This is who Bob Johnson should have been. Bout to cop Bevel off this alone
lol, no. There is a lot more money out there on that level than their was in the old days. These new white money has billions on billions and they ain't stingy like our parents gen with wealth. Now days, Vice is worth 900 million. Vice breh. The money is so high at the highest level but you gotta get there first and the startup capital is out of a lot of brothas leagues right now.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Man, some of these comments are stupid as fukk. "Couldn't of a been me, cuz I'da taken dat 500 miyon and beent off onto a new ventcha!!!" And then some of you turn around and bytch about black men not being able to get a fukking job. This is how you do it...OWN shyt!!!! Now he can hire other blacks at HIS company, and make products FOR black people. GOD DAMN!!

Hmmmmm, looking at his staff the majority is non-black.

Sensei

Hallowed Be Thy Game
Daps
Tristan Walker doesn't own all of his company though, he had proprietors and angel investors gain partial ownership of his company Walker& Co which sells the Bevel brand.. But where is the actual article were Tristan Walker is offered a billion dollars for his company, some of you guys give some of these people too much credit without knowing the full background work.Then all the doubters are in danger of being called cacs.SMH Tristan Walker already has non-black investors.Some of you need to know how business works.
Tristan Walker Raises $6.9 Million From Andreessen, Others
Today, Walker & Co. is announcing that it raised $6.9 million in early-round financing from Andreessen Horowitz, Upfront Ventures, Collaborative Fund and Ron Johnson, who ran retail operations for Apple before becoming a short-lived chief executive of J.C. Penney, among other investors.

Jeff Jordan, an Andreessen partner, will join the board of Walker & Co. “The personal care market for people of color is a multibillion dollar market that is underserved,” he said in an interview.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Tristan Walker doesn't own all of his company though, he had proprietors and angel investors gain partial ownership of his company Walker& Co which sells the Bevel brand.. But where is the actual article were Tristan Walker is offered a billion dollars for his company, some of you guys give some of these people too much credit without knowing the full background work.Then all the doubters are in danger of being called cacs.SMH Tristan Walker already has non-black investors.Some of you need to know how business works.
Yes but this is the case for everything out of Silicon Valley. This is the case when you become big enough to float on the market and launch an IPO.

But they tried to buy him out.... which is a different beast entirely.

If you read the Bevel site (and others on shaving) you get an idea of the hustle shaving companies have been doing for the last 50 years. Gillette Mach15 Turbo Excellence or whatever costs about 3 dollars to make and they flip it for 12 bucks. They then have various types of razors Gillete Super Mach Turbo 16 which fight against each other although positioned differently. They end up flipping that version of 15 bucks and it just goes on and on.

Bevel goes against the grain with the brilliant simplicity angle. They don't want any parts of that Gillette and co. Better to join them by buying Tristan out. That way they can keep Bevel a small niche product, give it a low ad spend and let it do it's lil thing with a subset of the coarse hair dudes.

Tristan's a smart dude. He's going to kill the shaving market for our people. Then he's going to expand with the same ethos of brilliant simplicity.

Sensei

Hallowed Be Thy Game
Daps
Yes but this is the case for everything out of Silicon Valley. This is the case when you become big enough to float on the market and launch an IPO.

But they tried to buy him out.... which is a different beast entirely.

If you read the Bevel site (and others on shaving) you get an idea of the hustle shaving companies have been doing for the last 50 years. Gillette Mach15 Turbo Excellence or whatever costs about 3 dollars to make and they flip it for 12 bucks. They then have various types of razors Gillete Super Mach Turbo 16 which fight against each other although positioned differently. They end up flipping that version of 15 bucks and it just goes on and on.

Bevel goes against the grain with the brilliant simplicity angle. They don't want any parts of that Gillette and co. Better to join them by buying Tristan out. That way they can keep Bevel a small niche product, give it a low ad spend and let it do it's lil thing with a subset of the coarse hair dudes.

Tristan's a smart dude. He's going to kill the shaving market for our people. Then he's going to expand with the same ethos of brilliant simplicity.

Where is the proof Bevel was about to be bought out for a billion and is even worth that much? Why is it not on Forbes?I am sorry I don't trust some of these halfway blog websites.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Known about him and respected him for a while. Even looked up to him.

But this was a terrible decision.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
If he can become the first black tech billionaire, that's a MAJOR look.

I just think it's safer to cash out, take the money and start another company. All you pro-black militant fight the power nikkas keep missing that part. You can take that money and start a new company. Which is a practical move a lot of prominent businessmen have taken (Cuban, Hsieh, Musk, Hoffman, Pincus). Even Jay-Z sold off Rocawear.

Either way he made it.