Man Turns Down A Half Billion Dollar Buyout Of His Company To Stay Black Owned

keepemup

Banned
Daps
If he can become the first black tech billionaire, that's a MAJOR look.

I just think it's safer to cash out, take the money and start another company. All you pro-black militant fight the power nikkas keep missing that part. You can take that money and start a new company. Which is a practical move a lot of prominent businessmen have taken (Cuban, Hsieh, Musk, Hoffman, Pincus). Even Jay-Z sold off Rocawear.

Either way he made it.
That's definitely one way to go. I'm interested to see what they plan on doing.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Yes but this is the case for everything out of Silicon Valley. This is the case when you become big enough to float on the market and launch an IPO.

But they tried to buy him out.... which is a different beast entirely.

If you read the Bevel site (and others on shaving) you get an idea of the hustle shaving companies have been doing for the last 50 years. Gillette Mach15 Turbo Excellence or whatever costs about 3 dollars to make and they flip it for 12 bucks. They then have various types of razors Gillete Super Mach Turbo 16 which fight against each other although positioned differently. They end up flipping that version of 15 bucks and it just goes on and on.

Bevel goes against the grain with the brilliant simplicity angle. They don't want any parts of that Gillette and co. Better to join them by buying Tristan out. That way they can keep Bevel a small niche product, give it a low ad spend and let it do it's lil thing with a subset of the coarse hair dudes.

Tristan's a smart dude. He's going to kill the shaving market for our people. Then he's going to expand with the same ethos of brilliant simplicity.

Bruh, look around. The safety razor trend has been going on for a long time now. Now i dont know much about his moisturizers but that safety razor is as run of the mill as they come. The smart thing he did is market directly to African Americans as we by and large have run away from actual razors and gone straight to clippers or specialized electric razors.

What he did is actually a pretty good hustle as a lot of black people think that if a product isnt directly marketed to us it isnt for us. So if you can take an already existing product then put a spin on it and make it seem like its something that fits the needs of black people specifically you can make some money.

UnoVon

Pro
Daps
Most of these Coli PAWG lovers are too retarded to think like that though, they just want a nice house, a white bytch named Mindy and some lil Drakes called Kyle and Timothy.

Tristan Walker = True #Blackexcellence :salute: A real role model for the community.
satam55 negged you for your post in the thread Man Turns Down A Half Billion Dollar Buyout Of His Company To Stay Black Owned.

Then you look at his avi -
5059.jpg
:mjlol: Surprise Surprise.....:stopitslime:

gonnagetit

Banned
Daps
Where's the article or proof of this story? Can't find it

This story is not true first and foremost. Secondly why is this guy in Silicon Valley doing a razor business for minorities ? Most minorities do not mess with razors when it comes to shaving so his business model is already flawed.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i know dude, and i will say he's being looked out for by one of the most powerful but also black friendly venture capitalists out here (horowitz has a black wife). glad tristan is getting some shine, but the valley needs to open to door to more than one 'negro' at a time

I know a black guy who works for horowitz company

He hires lots of brothers?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
We keep asking what is it gonna take, what are the answers to us fixing our communities, becoming more independent etc.

Stuff like what this man did is what it's going to take. We have to be willing to turn down bigger money to sell out and instead be comfortable with the still relatively big net worth we have. In the black community, wnership > immediate money.

I would rather own my business, still be a multi millionaire(even if its not 500 million), have the ability to grow my business and be an example of black entrepreneurship for my people than to give our oppressors even more capital.

Now of course this is within reason. If my company is worth nothing and a big billion dollar company offers me hundreds of millions, I can understand looking at the bigger picture and selling, but ask yourself this - if a company can think so highly of your business that they would offer you that much, you're already a millionaire with the right moves and you don't even know it.

Salute this man and stop boasting about how he's a better man than you and how you couldn't have done it in his shoes.

Exactly. There's a reason companies buy out other companies... because they believe they can make more money from the company than what they paid for it. Black folks will never be independent if they sell out as soon as they sniff a paycheck. He can at least hire folks with that business and build some kind of insfrastructure.

Tae

All Star
Daps

I just think it's safer to cash out, take the money and start another company. All you pro-black militant fight the power nikkas keep missing that part. You can take that money and start a new company. Which is a practical move a lot of prominent businessmen have taken (Cuban, Hsieh, Musk, Hoffman, Pincus). Even Jay-Z sold off Rocawear.

Either way he made it.

Did Jay-Z really sell Rocawear or did he liquidate it because it wasn't selling? :dame:
And how exactly does all of this help the black community?
You sell the company to whites who then go on to hire 95% non-blacks at their new company. Let's say he starts another business and it is successful and the whites comes knocking again who then repeat the same process. Dude then starts a third company but it is not successful, in the end who has his business moves helped?
You want to write off those who preach group economics as clueless militant fight the power nikka's, but then complain about the state of the black community, how did you not see how group economics can only help the black community. :snoop:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Bruh, look around. The safety razor trend has been going on for a long time now. Now i dont know much about his moisturizers but that safety razor is as run of the mill as they come. The smart thing he did is market directly to African Americans as we by and large have run away from actual razors and gone straight to clippers or specialized electric razors.

What he did is actually a pretty good hustle as a lot of black people think that if a product isnt directly marketed to us it isnt for us. So if you can take an already existing product then put a spin on it and make it seem like its something that fits the needs of black people specifically you can make some money.
Everything you've typed is mentioned on the Bevel blog. It's a single razor - dassit. It's not a secret.

Nobody was marketing the advantages of a single razor like that to anyone. There's no money in it. "Our closest shave ever" si something Gillette can say every 2 years with a new product.

Bevel is selling the whole package and telling you why it works. You could easily do each thing individually and get the same result but it's easier to roll with Bevel.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Didn't they try and buy Walker&co. aka the parent company? His company?

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Everything you've typed is mentioned on the Bevel blog. It's a single razor - dassit. It's not a secret.

Nobody was marketing the advantages of a single razor like that to anyone. There's no money in it. "Our closest shave ever" si something Gillette can say every 2 years with a new product.

Bevel is selling the whole package and telling you why it works. You could easily do each thing individually and get the same result but it's easier to roll with Bevel.

Nobody was marketing it? Bruh there have been safety razor ads on the radio, i heard it a lot on espn radio, and men's magazines for years. Its been the trend for a while now. Go to some men's health websites/blogs and look at the shaving topics. They go deep into it giving detailed reviews of shaving soaps, brushes, and even the country the blades are manufactured in. It's been big for a while now. Like I said, the smart thing he did was market directly to blacks.

Last edited:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Nobody was marketing it? Bruh there have been safety razor ads on the radio, i heard it a lot on espn radio, and men's magazines for years. Its been the trend for a while now. Go to some men's health websites/blogs and look at the shaving topics. They go deep into it giving detailed reviews of shaving soaps, brushes, and even the country the blades are manufactured in. It's been big for a while now. Like I said, the smart thing he did was market directly to blacks.
Okay, nobody was marketing it to blacks. We seemingly needed it the most. It's still an example of brilliant simplicity.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Either way he made it.

I agree that it would be "safer" for him, personally, to cash out, but sometimes you have to take risks. There is also the huge issue of momentum. He probably knows the niche he is in inside out, so if he would have taken the cash, the real question is what to do afterwards. Build another business in a similar market and have to start over from scratch and have to reestablish your brand and compete against the very same business you just sold? That would be even more risky. Go into another industry where you have no expertise?

Owning businesses is way more important than having a bunch of cash on hand, and a lack of ownership is why the black community remains economically stagnant. We're always selling out, such as BET, and everyone else ends up profiting off of black properties. You may end up getting a one time cash infusion, but other races are willing to buy those properties because they know that over the long term, they will be generating much more money and owning a business also affords one much more control since you can actually employ others and bring them into a better standard of living.