Making 100k a year - What's it like?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And who do you think writes those books? Rich people. You don't know anyone, NOT ONE PERSON with a substantial amount of money that followed their own natural instincts to get there.
:dead:They got rich off of selling the books. You'd be better off peddling your own self help book than you are following one.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
It's not all it's hyped up to be. I'd say the sweet spot is $250k.

At $100k you're more than likely going to raise your cost of living in other areas. You're not going to be driving the same car that you would be at $40k. Your house/condo/apartment's going to be a little nicer. And you're going to be a little bit more free with your money.

So if you're making $100k with a $40k mentality, it's nice. But if you're making $100k and living like you're making $100k you're not going to see any difference. I'm in the latter.

Like I said....$250k + is where it's at. And I couldn't comment on what it's like to make that much. Not yet anyway.

Trust me 250k it has it's own set of problems, once I'm covering my 2 kids college expenses (well room and board mostly), mortgage, 3 car notes, and a good chunk of money tied to investments etc, savings, insurance, paying an accountant (you should get one if your banking more than 150k, imo). If my business goes belly up I'm doomed.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trust me 250k it has it's own set of problems, once I'm covering my 2 kids college expenses (well room and board mostly), mortgage, 3 car notes, and a good chunk of money tied to investments etc, savings, insurance, paying an accountant (you should get one if your banking more than 150k, imo). If my business goes belly up I'm doomed.

How much are the car payments combined a month? If you pay them off that's an additional amount per month you have to work with.

Do you have an emergency fund in place?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If you're talking specifically about "Rich dad poor dad", then I don't need to say anything else to you because that wasn't the book I decided to read to help me on the path to financial freedom. If you're talking about the uselessness of self-help, financial books in general, then you're an idiot.

:wtb: so why the fukk did you quote me in the first place. I was clearly talking about rich dad poor dad. But I do know that there are plenty of similar books and programs out there that offer pretty much the same thing. Rehashed common sense packaged to make you feel better about yourself. I can tell these books you read are full of the same shyt, because they teach you that you are now somehow smarter/better than those who haven't read the books. So you felt the need to come and defend that idea when I called it bullshyt.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
How much are the car payments combined a month? If you pay them off that's an additional amount per month you have to work with.

Do you have an emergency fund in place?

Yes, I have an emergency funds which will cover all my expenses for about 3 or 4 years as is. Car payments are about 1800 for all 3 but one is almost paid, the other 2 are leases I can write off under my company. I would say college eats the lions share of my expenses but I consider them an investment. I'm fairly comfortable money wise, but its definitely a balancing act because a good chunk of what I make goes back into business expenses and maintenance on my Apt Buildings.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
People have this fantasy about being super frugal making all that loot. Yea the fukk right. You gonna ball out on something, be it whip, jewels, crib, cloths. No way you gonna work all hard and not spoil yourself. What's the point?

Because that shyt doesn't mean anything to someone who looks at the bigger picture. Like me. I don't give a fukk about jewels or brand name clothing as it is now, doubt that would change with money. Nice apartment with a big screen tv. That's where my dreams end. I just want to enjoy life, not own expensive things and constantly worry about money.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:wtb: so why the fukk did you quote me in the first place. I was clearly talking about rich dad poor dad. But I do know that there are plenty of similar books and programs out there that offer pretty much the same thing. Rehashed common sense packaged to make you feel better about yourself. I can tell these books you read are full of the same shyt, because they teach you that you are now somehow smarter/better than those who haven't read the books. So you felt the need to come and defend that idea when I called it bullshyt.

nikka, you said "books" not just that book specifically. You should work on tightening up your argument so that it's better understood.

And if you think i'm coming off as "smarter" or "better" then you've put yourself in an inferior position and that's your problem not mine. I defended you saying that information in books are bullshyt because although that's your opinion, I don't agree with it and that's ok for us to disagree.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I always hate when people say 100k "ain't shyt" in certain locales. Even in NYC there's plenty of folks making less than that and getting by. While the lifestyle you could live would be dramatically different than the lifestyle you'd live in Houston making 100k, I don't think it's accurate to say it ain't shyt. It just ain't the windfall that those making less tend to think it is.

not only that. I also say it mostly because of inflation. 100k today just aint what it was 20 years ago. Lets say the bar for a nice sized 5br house in a neighborhood was 250k twenty years ago. Now that same house in that same neighborhood is probably more like 550k. Yet that magical 100k salary bar is still at 100k. It don't go as far as it did back then

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
nikka, you said "books" not just that book specifically. You should work on tightening up your argument so that it's better understood.

And if you think i'm coming off as "smarter" or "better" then you've put yourself in an inferior position and that's your problem not mine. I defended you saying that information in books are bullshyt because although that's your opinion, I don't agree with it and that's ok for us to disagree.

I guess your books don't teach reading comprehension.

I quoted someone taking about the specific book. And I said "those books" meaning that book and those just like like it.

And no I don't think your coming off smarter. YOU think you are coming off smarter cause you read a couple self help books, and they told you that you are.

One more time. Please find a successful enteponuer who applauds these books.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People are only viewing the salary from their current perspective. If you make 50k, of course 100k is going to seem like a lot but to a person making 90k, 100k won't be that much. It really boils down to individual savings/investing, and living goals. How much would you like to save/invest per year AND still have x amount in discretionary income after covering living expenses? that's the salary you want to target.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
It's true though. Until you make that much and realize that really nothing has changed in regards to your lifestyle, you won't understand.

:huhldup: nah, it is based on the principles of the person and how they manage their finances--

when i was making 25k in the army I was intelligent enough to handle my finances properly so that now im making 200kplus im in a great position with no problems

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I guess your books don't teach reading comprehension.

I quoted someone taking about the specific book. And I said "those books" meaning that book and those just like like it.

And no I don't think your coming off smarter. YOU think you are coming off smarter cause you read a couple self help books, and they told you that you are.

One more time. Please find a successful enteponuer who applauds these books.

Someone was talking about Rich Dad poor dad (one book from my understanding) and you referred to it as "Those books" :manny: Pardon me if I got confused.

You don't have the authority to judge how I feel about something, only how you interpret it. Again, if YOU feel I'm coming off as smarter (which I don't think I am), you put yourself in an inferior position. Sharing what you learned doesn't make you smarter, just a nice person LMAO!!