Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
@Wear My Dawg's Hat its impossible for Black immigrants to be 60% of Black American population in NYC.

Black non ADOS ate hyper visible in music and media and in academia. Black immigrants makeup over

They are seemingly over represented in Rap compared to there percentage of Black population in the USA due to a variety of factors.

Black immigrant and their first/2nd descendants do a have a significant concentration in parts of the North East

Nationally Black immigrants are 10% of the Black American population.

see google and Black Immigration and the remaking of Black America

in my estimation Black immigrants and there 1st or 2nd gen descendants are no more than 15% to 20% of the NYC Black population even if you include the Spanish speaking Caribbean (Dominicans etc.)

This is from twenty-year-old NYC demographic research analysis (...and didn't include African immigrants):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292399115_We're_just_black_The_racial_and_ethnic_identities_of_second-generation_West_Indians_in_New_York

"New York has been transformed by West Indian immigration. This scene in Caribbean Brooklyn also typifies West Indian neighborhoods throughout metropolitan New York. The rising predominance of West Indian communities in New York is a direct result of the rapid increase of black Caribbean immigrants over the last few decades. The 1999 Current Population Survey puts their numbers at roughly 600,000, which constitutes almost one-third of New York's black population. West Indian immigrants and their children now outnumber African Americans in New York-54 percent of the blacks in the city in the year 2000 were West Indian."

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It lists place like Dayton and New Haven so Syracuse should be on there. We got around 45-50,000

Fair enough...

I follow cities that anchor medium (800k pop, $40b economies) to large (2m+ pop, $100b+ economies) metropolitan areas. Syracuse meets my personal economic output criteria but not the population criteria (is ~140k below it); the actual size of the core city is irrelevant to me as Miami and Atlanta officially have less than 500,000 people but no one believes those cities are smaller than Indianapolis or Denver, because I think most people understand jurisdictional boundaries and populations vary state to state. There are countless examples of smaller cities having more people than some core cities (SF is one of the Top 5 cities in the nation and yet places like Jacksonville, Austin, etc have more people, because the economic heft and population of a city's metropolis are what really show you how big a city is...

But because I didn't point this out initially, I understand the confusion:

Syracuse
Pop 45,588 (30.7%)
+6.6% from '10 (+2818)

Worcester is right outside of Boston. Cheaper to live. When the coli think of Boston all they think about is Fenway Park Lmao. That's not what the area look like

I had the best salad of my life at a spot downtown nearly 4 years ago and I can't recall the name of the place to save my life. Boston was cool, definitely saw plenty of black people but there's a ton of white folks and I told on here before how I was on The T and heard white dudes openly tossing "nikka" around...

That said I liked it, it's like a mashup of AtL/DC/SF. It's noticeably smaller than all three, Boston wasn't quite as "big feeling" as I expected but there are elements of all three cities in Boston...

What was it like growing up black in Boston?

• Dap
Reactions: 315
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
i'm not from Boston i just spent a lot of time there for work and made some friends out there and had a girl out in Worcester area. i spent a lot of time in Hartford too which gotta be 30+% black or more too

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Im here to say: dont let them Seattle numbers fool you....they are more than likely counting East Africans and other African nationalities. Id say theres about 20k ADOS people in this city not 50k. And that ADOS prolly make up 4% of the population in Seattle.

Now....Tacoma on the other hand :mjpls:

(but even in tacoma those numbers are weird as im pretty sure a quarter or more of Tacomas ADOS population under 25 is Mulatto :mjpls::snoop:)
what about the Ft. Lewis population?I was gonna get stationed out there.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Fair enough...

I follow cities that anchor medium (800k pop, $40b economies) to large (2m+ pop, $100b+ economies) metropolitan areas. Syracuse meets my personal economic output criteria but not the population criteria (is ~140k below it); the actual size of the core city is irrelevant to me as Miami and Atlanta officially have less than 500,000 people but no one believes those cities are smaller than Indianapolis or Denver, because I think most people understand jurisdictional boundaries and populations vary state to state. There are countless examples of smaller cities having more people than some core cities (SF is one of the Top 5 cities in the nation and yet places like Jacksonville, Austin, etc have more people, because the economic heft and population of a city's metropolis are what really show you how big a city is...

But because I didn't point this out initially, I understand the confusion:

Syracuse
Pop 45,588 (30.7%)
+6.6% from '10 (+2818)

I had the best salad of my life at a spot downtown nearly 4 years ago and I can't recall the name of the place to save my life. Boston was cool, definitely saw plenty of black people but there's a ton of white folks and I told on here before how I was on The T and heard white dudes openly tossing "nikka" around...

That said I liked it, it's like a mashup of AtL/DC/SF. It's noticeably smaller than all three, Boston wasn't quite as "big feeling" as I expected but there are elements of all three cities in Boston...

What was it like growing up black in Boston?

I was gonna move to Worcester or Providence (Boston was out of the question) but they had that massive snow storm. The place is beautiful though not too many Black people but a surprising number of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans out there.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
This is from twenty-year-old NYC demographic research analysis (...and didn't include African immigrants):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292399115_We're_just_black_The_racial_and_ethnic_identities_of_second-generation_West_Indians_in_New_York

"New York has been transformed by West Indian immigration. This scene in Caribbean Brooklyn also typifies West Indian neighborhoods throughout metropolitan New York. The rising predominance of West Indian communities in New York is a direct result of the rapid increase of black Caribbean immigrants over the last few decades. The 1999 Current Population Survey puts their numbers at roughly 600,000, which constitutes almost one-third of New York's black population. West Indian immigrants and their children now outnumber African Americans in New York-54 percent of the blacks in the city in the year 2000 were West Indian."
Check those numbers again Obama and Trump did a number on Jamaican Brooklyn. East Flatbush lost a massive number of people to deportation.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I was gonna move to Worcester or Providence (Boston was out of the question) but they had that massive snow storm. The place is beautiful though not too many Black people but a surprising number of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans out there.

Never been to Worcester but I been to PVD and thought it was dope. Couldn't really live in the Northeast again because of the weather but I liked Providence!

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Like I’ve always said ..if you’re a black person and talk down on Detroit you’re on some white ppl/c00n shyt

:yeshrug:

nikkas think they live in Black cities but like this shyt shows yall…you really don’t
Gentrication took over. nikkas are dipping from expensive ass cities moving to smaller cities. I left New york and DC. Schocked to see Chocalate City only 41% Black.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The fukk u talking bout breh?

You gon tell me theres tons of ADOS ppl in Seattle and i live here?

You gonna tell me we shouldnt provide anecdotal evidence of how the demographics actually shake out? God forbid some of us want to actually live around the ethnicity we are instead of ppl who are lumped in ur race category but ultimately want nothing to do with you and have very little in common.

I dont even be on the Diaspora Wars and shyt like that and i think folks like Tariq are toxic. With that said, to think East Africans and ADOS folks are interchangable is minimizing vast cultural differences.

And dont take my word for it, East Africans would be the first to tell you as well. I bet @RadaMillz would attest, East Africans dont really rock with ADOS folks like that here.

No hate shyt, they just dont.
When I lived in Buffalo, Somalis and black Americans didn't rock with each other. They were segregated on opposite sides of the city and had very little interaction. The Somalis were refugees, dirt poor, FOB's, first generation, followers of Islam, different customs, different odor, language barriers it's easy to see why they stick to their own. The children typically went to different schools but I had heard there was a bit of ethnic friction in the larger high schools between the boys.

I don't see what the anecdotal evidence would do for you though. The census did allow people to pick their nationality and ethnicity after the race category and that detailed breakdown will likely be released too. The census doesn't give a fukk about what you talking about they don't care if shyt is kumbaya between ethnicities they just count folks racially. It's like an Irish cac that lives in Howard Beach, Queens saying he don't rock with Italians like that. At the end of the day still white and that's what the Census is looking to count.

Seattle is not a very black city at all even with East Africans included if you feel that strong why not just move? :ld: :francis:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Never been to Worcester but I been to PVD and thought it was dope. Couldn't really live in the Northeast again because of the weather but I liked Providence!

Metoo it's like an hour away from Worcester and I could've transferred up there since I worked there temporarily. wouldn't have liked the lack of Black women though. Good Clam Chowder though.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
Take notice of cities with declining black population, means there is no opportunity in those cities. Los Angels used to be well over 400k and now the Asians out number us over there:francis:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Black % Growth/Decline since 2010
Worcester +44.8%
Phoenix +33.8%
Fort Worth +28.8%
Las Vegas +27.2%

Honolulu +20.9%
Columbus +17.8%
St Paul +16.8%
Tucson +16.7%
Minneapolis +15.4%
Jacksonville +15%
Salt Lake City +13.3%
Charlotte +12.8%
San Antonio +12.6%
Allentown +12.2%
Albuquerque +10.6%
Indianapolis +10.1%

Orlando +9.6%
Oklahoma City +9.5%
Austin +8.3%
Omaha +7.7%
Seattle +6.4%
Newark +6.2%

Bridgeport +4.6%
Houston +4.4%
Denver +4.2%
Portland +4.1%
Atlanta +3.8%
Raleigh +3.6%
Albany +3%
Tacoma +2.1%
Buffalo +1.8%
Dallas +1.5%
Sacramento +1.2%
New Orleans +0.7%
Fresno +0%

Bakersfield -0.2%
Knoxville -0.3%
Virginia Beach -0.5%
Nashville -0.9%
Tulsa -1%
Baton Rouge -2.2%
San Jose -3.1%
Columbia -3.6%
Rochester -3.6%
Kansas City -3.6%
Tampa -4%
Grand Rapids -4.3%
Hartford -4.3%
San Francisco -4.4%
Philadelphia -4.7%
Memphis -4.9%

Cincinnati -5.7%
New Haven -6%
Riverside -6.2%
Milwaukee -6.3%
Washington -6.3%
San Diego -6.5%
New York -6.9%
Greenville -7.7%
Boston -7.7%
Dayton -7.8%
Los Angeles -7.9%
Norfolk -8.7%
Providence -9.4%
Chicago -9.7%

Richmond -11.3%
Birmingham -11.9%
Pittsburgh -13.4%
Baltimore -14.5%
Cleveland -14.9%
Detroit -15.9%
Charleston -16.2%
St Louis -17.4%

Miami -25.5%
Oakland -29.3%
Miami is down to 12.9% Black. At the beginning of the decade it was 20%. :picard:

The black decline of Miami isn’t talked about much. Shocking, considering the black immigrant flow is supposed to keep it afloat. But it makes sense. They’re all headed to Broward. The black population of Broward and Fort Lauderdale has increased.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Well the Census, and Americans in general, count anyone rooted in ancestral black ethnicities of Africa as black. Those East African communities are mostly black...

The Census also has a section where respondents can identify by their ethnicity...

Bruh most large cities have high rates of biracial black children. 25% would be abnormally high for any city, but I think around or upwards of 10% is normal for most American cities---->we've been creating kids with nonblack people our entire time in America...
Nah even 10% is absurdly high. More like 3-4%

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Right:blessed: “nikkas” been talkin down for years but willingly stay in cac dominated areas :mjpls: better move to the D and get down on this real estate and legal weed

If I had a couple hundred million dollars I would've brought up all that land that Black people left that shyt is already starting to be worth a fortune again.

The D was gentricfication on steriods.