Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Im here to say: dont let them Seattle numbers fool you....they are more than likely counting East Africans and other African nationalities. Id say theres about 20k ADOS people in this city not 50k. And that ADOS prolly make up 4% of the population in Seattle.

Now....Tacoma on the other hand :mjpls:

(but even in tacoma those numbers are weird as im pretty sure a quarter or more of Tacomas ADOS population under 25 is Mulatto :mjpls::snoop:)

It’s not really informative. They might be “black” according to a census but a lot of these areas are overrepresented by immigrant communities. Idk how welcome you’d feel moving into a tight knit Somali community in Minnesota for example, if you just went off the numbers like how breh mentioned :yeshrug:

I actually heard the census knew how inaccurate the numbers were because of the the sheer number of different African and Caribbean ethnic groups that have and continue to move to the US. To they specifically put in some kind of ‘ADOS’ designation. I guess that didn’t plan out.

And when I put “black” in quotations it’s meant to signify the descendants of US chattel slavery. It’s important because even though we’re technically black we don’t share the same culture. People may masquerade as ADOS because it’s beneficial to walk that line of being an immigrant but also putting on a black image when it benefits you. Most people move here for economic opportunity, that’s how this game works. :yeshrug:

It’s why Africans dominate a lot of the college scholarships and HBCU opportunities. Hell a lot of universities actually prefer African immigrants or their children because they usually know the system and intentionally game it. A lot of the people coming over were skilled and highly educated in their own countries. So someone father could legit be a scientist, mother a mathematician, yet they still get out in that same box as a poor black kid from the projects who had to battle through the school to prison pipeline. The latter rarely if ever even make it to college if you really look at the numbers.

Hell at my university, I was the minority as a black American male who wasn’t from Africa or had African parents. The only place where we weren’t outnumbered was in sports. I legit could count the amount of black American men who weren’t the product of immigration on my literal hand. In a school of close to 40k students :mjpls:

While the resources meant for ADOS go largely underutilized, but these programs still get to pretend like they’re doing something for black people.

It’s incredibly fukked up because we’re still suffering as a group, but we’re not even recognized as our own people. Hell, you could move here from somewhere Africa or the Carrib tomorrow and get to call yourself a black African American like you been here 400+ years :unimpressed:
The census says Black or African American, until they officially separate black ethnicities, yall are blowing hot air.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
I like the last post since it gives you the raw numbers.

I used to live in Indianapolis I can tell you a lot of those leaving Chicago are going there.

Not surprised by Los Angeles in Oakland or any California City considering the cost of living is rising there. Didn't expect to see Baltimore though.
Yep. The Black ppl leaving Chicago, but staying in the region are going to cities like Indianapolis.

The ones with a lil more money and choose to leave the region, go to cities like Atlanta, Vegas, Dallas, Phoenix, etc

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
I was impressed to see CO and Fort Worth so high. :ehh: Is Columbus popping like that?
The population for Black ppl was like 24% when I moved there almost 20 yrs ago. Today, it at 29% even with the population going up over 200k during that time, meaning we make up a good # of the transplants there.

I always hear it aint shyt to do in Columbus, but that usually comes from the younger ppl. I love Columbus.

GodinDaFlesh

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Godverse
It’s not really informative. They might be “black” according to a census but a lot of these areas are overrepresented by immigrant communities. Idk how welcome you’d feel moving into a tight knit Somali community in Minnesota for example, if you just went off the numbers like how breh mentioned :yeshrug:

I actually heard the census knew how inaccurate the numbers were because of the the sheer number of different African and Caribbean ethnic groups that have and continue to move to the US. To they specifically put in some kind of ‘ADOS’ designation. I guess that didn’t plan out.

And when I put “black” in quotations it’s meant to signify the descendants of US chattel slavery. It’s important because even though we’re technically black we don’t share the same culture. People may masquerade as ADOS because it’s beneficial to walk that line of being an immigrant but also putting on a black image when it benefits you. Most people move here for economic opportunity, that’s how this game works. :yeshrug:

It’s why Africans dominate a lot of the college scholarships and HBCU opportunities. Hell a lot of universities actually prefer African immigrants or their children because they usually know the system and intentionally game it. A lot of the people coming over were skilled and highly educated in their own countries. So someone father could legit be a scientist, mother a mathematician, yet they still get out in that same box as a poor black kid from the projects who had to battle through the school to prison pipeline. The latter rarely if ever even make it to college if you really look at the numbers.

Hell at my university, I was the minority as a black American male who wasn’t from Africa or had African parents. The only place where we weren’t outnumbered was in sports. I legit could count the amount of black American men who weren’t the product of immigration on my literal hand. In a school of close to 40k students :mjpls:

While the resources meant for ADOS go largely underutilized, but these programs still get to pretend like they’re doing something for black people.

It’s incredibly fukked up because we’re still suffering as a group, but we’re not even recognized as our own people. Hell, you could move here from somewhere Africa or the Carrib tomorrow and get to call yourself a black African American like you been here 400+ years :unimpressed:
If black immigrants stopped going to these schools, do you really think ADOS numbers in those places would go up or do you think they would just be replaced with more white and Asian people?:comeon:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Kinda want to make that move to Detroit. Need to get out of Louisiana for a minute and weed is legal in Michigan :ehh:
I loved growing up in Detroit, especially as I got older and realized how unique an experience it was to see so many black face everywhere I went. I don't feel cheated because I didn't grow up in a "diverse" environment. There is plenty of opportunity to get exposed to other races and cultures, but you can practically keep yourself isolated to a black experience back home if it is your desire. Though I hate the winters, me and my wife are discussing the possibility of moving back home in another year or so for our kids to get that experience and also be closer to family.

Hydroking23

Gunners for Life!
Daps
Reppin
Michigan Avenue & Aba Road

Most of what you said is rooted in bias. I'll address the bolded specifically because it's completely false. I worked with a sustainable development agency in Nigeria for 6 years and one of our primary programs was sending students to the US on scholarship to go to college. A vast majority of these kids were from extremely poor, rural and underprivileged backgrounds. We partnered with similar agencies across Africa with the same mission and by sheer volume Most African students in America and other countries DO NOT come from privileged backgrounds as you incorrectly stated.

The FACT is that African students simply OUTPERFORM just about every group at the collegette level. This is evident not only in the US but in the UK, Canada etc. This is a cultural phenomenondue to Africans over emphasis on educational achievement and not attributed to their parents being "a legit scientist or mathematician". :martin:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
The population for Black ppl was like 24% when I moved there almost 20 yrs ago. Today, it at 29% even with the population going up over 200k during that time, meaning we make up a good # of the transplants there.

I always hear it aint shyt to do in Columbus, but that usually comes from the younger ppl. I love Columbus.
Been to Columbus back in the day to kick it with my boy that went to OSU (RIP) and had a great time. I don't know if it's because it was Black Greek week but the people were cool as hell. I had it on a list of places to consider moving too once I was done with college. That was the first time I seen nikkas with chandeliers in their cars:russ:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I like the last post since it gives you the raw numbers.

I used to live in Indianapolis I can tell you a lot of those leaving Chicago are going there.

Not surprised by Los Angeles in Oakland or any California City considering the cost of living is rising there. Didn't expect to see Baltimore though.

I knew Chicago was gonna be near the top with the number of blacks leaving here to go down south.