Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Been to Columbus back in the day to kick it with my boy that went to OSU (RIP) and had a great time. I don't know if it's because it was Black Greek week but the people were cool as hell. I had it on a list of places to consider moving too once I was done with college. That was the first time I seen nikkas with chandeliers in their cars:russ:
:mjlol:

I met quite a few ppl there. It's a low key transplant city. I met brehs from LA, Chicago, Detroit, Brooklyn, New Orleans(after Katrina).

And for a city that size, traffic dont really be that bad:ehh:

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Black Population
New York 1,943,645

Chicago 801,195
Philadelphia 630,462
Houston 520,389

Detroit 496,534
Memphis 389,779
Baltimore 338,478
Los Angeles 336,096
Dallas 303,577
Jacksonville 290,279
Charlotte 289,062
Washington 285,810
Columbus 259,483

Indianapolis 248,067
Atlanta 235,513
Milwaukee 222,746
New Orleans 208,273
Fort Worth 180,439
Cleveland 180,224
Nashville 169,349
Newark 154,048
Louisville 148,676
Boston 138,870
Birmingham 137,296
Kansas City 132,617
St Louis 129,814
Cincinnati 125,443
Phoenix 125,260
Raleigh 122,766
Baton Rouge 122,461
San Antonio 102,816
Buffalo 102,636

Oklahoma City 95,634
Norfolk 95,594
Richmond 91,653
Oakland 91,561
Virginia Beach 85,478
Rochester 84,752
Tampa 84,340
Las Vegas 82,485
San Diego 82,265
Minneapolis 82,038
Orlando 73,320
Austin 69,757
Sacramento 69,167
Pittsburgh 69,050
Denver 64,038
Tulsa 61,526
Omaha 60,280
Miami 57,254
Dayton 55,981
Columbia 52,598
St Paul 52,256
Bridgeport 52,138
Seattle 51,419

San Francisco 46,725
Hartford 46,231
New Haven 43,160
Fresno 40,972
Portland 38,217
Grand Rapids 37,567
Albany 31,023
Worcester 30,485
Knoxville 30,477
Tucson 30,342
San Jose 29,308
Bakersfield 28,305
Providence 25,860
Charleston 25,553

Tacoma 22,666
Riverside 20,100
Albuquerque 19,833
Allentown 16,617
Greenville 16,164

Honolulu 6013
Salt Lake City 5766
This is missing alot of cities

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It’s not really informative. They might be “black” according to a census but a lot of these areas are overrepresented by immigrant communities. Idk how welcome you’d feel moving into a tight knit Somali community in Minnesota for example, if you just went off the numbers like how breh mentioned :yeshrug:

I actually heard the census knew how inaccurate the numbers were because of the the sheer number of different African and Caribbean ethnic groups that have and continue to move to the US. To they specifically put in some kind of ‘ADOS’ designation. I guess that didn’t plan out.

And when I put “black” in quotations it’s meant to signify the descendants of US chattel slavery. It’s important because even though we’re technically black we don’t share the same culture. People may masquerade as ADOS because it’s beneficial to walk that line of being an immigrant but also putting on a black image when it benefits you. Most people move here for economic opportunity, that’s how this game works. :yeshrug:

It’s why Africans dominate a lot of the college scholarships and HBCU opportunities. Hell a lot of universities actually prefer African immigrants or their children because they usually know the system and intentionally game it. A lot of the people coming over were skilled and highly educated in their own countries. So someone father could legit be a scientist, mother a mathematician, yet they still get out in that same box as a poor black kid from the projects who had to battle through the school to prison pipeline. The latter rarely if ever even make it to college if you really look at the numbers.

Hell at my university, I was the minority as a black American male who wasn’t from Africa or had African parents. The only place where we weren’t outnumbered was in sports. I legit could count the amount of black American men who weren’t the product of immigration on my literal hand. In a school of close to 40k students :mjpls:

While the resources meant for ADOS go largely underutilized, but these programs still get to pretend like they’re doing something for black people.

It’s incredibly fukked up because we’re still suffering as a group, but we’re not even recognized as our own people. Hell, you could move here from somewhere Africa or the Carrib tomorrow and get to call yourself a black African American like you been here 400+ years :unimpressed:

Anecdotally I've never had any issue with any Caribbeans, Black Latinos, or Africans regarding appropriating Black American culture or shytting on us for their gain. Granted, I've heard enough accounts if it happening to know it does, and I also realize my single experience doesn't speak for everybody...

But these people I've interacted with are black regardless of origin, and there's a shared blackness emotional quotient I think most black people can sense when we are around each other that transcends language and mainstream culture...

I like the last post since it gives you the raw numbers.

I used to live in Indianapolis I can tell you a lot of those leaving Chicago are going there.

Not surprised by Los Angeles in Oakland or any California City considering the cost of living is rising there. Didn't expect to see Baltimore though.

Couple things:

•the bleeding of LA's black population is slowing as I think people who follow these trends long term can realize; LA's black exodus is close to bottoming out, and will reverse to gaining black people...

LA lost 7.9% of its black population since 2010, but in '10 it lost 12.1% of its black population from 2000; lost 12.8% of its black population in '00 from 1990; and in '90 lost 8% of its black population from 1980...

Plenty of other cities are going in the opposite direction, and Los Angeles, despite over 40 years of decennial declining black population, is still the 8th-largest black city in total population in the country. It'll remain relevant forever in Black America's consciousness, but we'll start seeing a surplus of black residents in LA as soon as 2030 Census but more likely by 2050 at the latest...

•Oakland is in a completely different boat and is going in the wrong direction, and fast. If anyone has seen Oakland thru the years the erasure of Black Oakland is easily, easily visible---->what happened to SF first ~45 years ago finally crossed over to The Town...

No city in the country lost a larger ratio of its black population than Oakland, and Oakland had the 5th-highest overall drop in black residents despite being a substantially smaller city than the 4 cities in front of it....

Oakland is up to 29.3% decline in the 10s, from a 22.7% decline in the 00s, from a 13.4% decline in the 90s (Oakland's black residency peaked in 1990 at ~164k)...

Oakland is in real trouble, is now below 21% black, and the only majority black hoods (50%+) left in the city are small, adjacent hoods in West O like Acorns and Cypress Village...

•Sacramento is the only large California city with a growing black population. I've detailed on here in the past that the future of Black NorCal points to Sac---->we don't have the legacy and history of SF/O but we now have the population and have never declined black population in a Census to my knowledge,

Also if you've seen Sac over the years you can in present see the growth and formulation of a larger imprint of black culture on the city...

•I knew Baltimore would be high. I read an article a year or more ago that detailed how black residents are fed up with the outsized violence, corrupt infrastructure, shyttier than most school systems, and wealth and income disparities. None of these issues are necessarily unique to Baltimore but Baltimore has all of these things and more occurring at abnormally high rates at the same damn time...

Black folks been leaving Baltimore, but it was so black to start it'll always remain a substantially black city no matter how far it drops...

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
I gotta get the fukk out the Chicago area , too many of these mf’s around here

don’t give af if you hit me with the mjpls. I live here fukk these fools

edit: there’s only 5766 black people in Salt Lake City :pachaha:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The population for Black ppl was like 24% when I moved there almost 20 yrs ago. Today, it at 29% even with the population going up over 200k during that time, meaning we make up a good # of the transplants there.

I always hear it aint shyt to do in Columbus, but that usually comes from the younger ppl. I love Columbus.

I know a guy from Georgia who did 6.5 years in Hawaii and Arizona, then got out 5 years ago and relocated to Columbus and LOVES it...

I loved growing up in Detroit, especially as I got older and realized how unique an experience it was to see so many black face everywhere I went. I don't feel cheated because I didn't grow up in a "diverse" environment. There is plenty of opportunity to get exposed to other races and cultures, but you can practically keep yourself isolated to a black experience back home if it is your desire. Though I hate the winters, me and my wife are discussing the possibility of moving back home in another year or so for our kids to get that experience and also be closer to family.

There's benefits and drawbacks to growing up in both mostly black and diverse communities...

The only thing I can think of that has no real benefit to anyone is growing up in areas with fractional, less than 10% Black communities. When you're black and don't really see your own it has no positive value...

This is missing alot of cities

No major cities are missing...

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
I know a guy from Georgia who did 6.5 years in Hawaii and Arizona, then got out 5 years ago and relocated to Columbus and LOVES it...

There's benefits and drawbacks to growing up in both mostly black and diverse communities...

The only thing I can think of that has no real benefit to anyone is growing up in areas with fractional, less than 10% Black communities. When you're black and don't really see your own it has no positive value...

No major cities are missing...
It's missing Arlington but it got cities no one has ever heard of

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
It's missing Arlington but it got cities no one has ever heard of

"No one has ever heard of"....yet you want Arlington listed when there's a more popular and widely known Arlington in Virginia that isn't listed...

Arlington is a suburb of one major city and another that is "mid-major" and the center of 2.5 million people...

None of the cities I listed on here are suburbs of somewhere else. The good thing about the source link I provided is you can use it to look up any suburb you want!

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Well the Census, and Americans in general, count anyone rooted in ancestral black ethnicities of Africa as black. Those East African communities are mostly black...

The Census also has a section where respondents can identify by their ethnicity...

Bruh most large cities have high rates of biracial black children. 25% would be abnormally high for any city, but I think around or upwards of 10% is normal for most American cities---->we've been creating kids with nonblack people our entire time in America...
Oh boy came in c00ning not even thinking clearly