Mad Men: Season 7 (Part 1) 'The Beginning' - April 13th

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
I think you guys are right about Lou having to leave soon anyway. He's been there for more than a year on a two year contract, and Don will probably do everything he can to outshine and undermine the dinosaur.

But I am (thankfully) regularly wrong about the direction of this show, which is why I love it so much.

After this coming week's ep, we will be halfway through part one of this season :sadcam:

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
It's also interesting to note that a lot can happen on this show in the span of 2 episodes. I remember watching old seasons live and thinking that things played out over such a longer period, then on Netflix it's all over so fast. Lou could be a memory by the end of part one of this season.

Daps
Reppin
A trying to be sober and faithful Don back in the company? :lupe:

Rest of the partners besides Roger better watch out.
don-draper-tokin1.gif

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How long has Don been on leave? Can somebody answer that for me?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Season 6 ended November 1968.

This past episode was probably March-April 1969.
Props

That's what I thought. My wife was thinking that Don had kept the fact that he was on leave away from Megan for a year. Now I can confirm that she was wrong.

:youngsabo:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Props

That's what I thought. My wife was thinking that Don had kept the fact that he was on leave away from Megan for a year. Now I can confirm that she was wrong.

:youngsabo:
Most episodes are about a month apart. The episode before took place on Valentine's day. I'm assuming that since Bobby was able to take a trip and didn't have to worry about wearing a coat, it was at the earliest, end of March

Also, when Ken showed Don the pic of his kid, he said "That's the Carousel, in Central Park, always makes me think of you" Don gave his carousel speech November 1960 and the shyt still resonates with Ken. :banderas:

Don showing up at that office was the happiest some people had been in months.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
you know what's weird... both the KFC looking dude and don BOTH know that he isn't who he said he is

on one hand.. they don't have to pay him shyt and could let him walk.. cause all his signatures and contracts are fake

on the other hand, don could easily go get another job and not worry about non compete cause the same reason

weird how the show just skates on by one of the biggest plots of this show

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
My nikka Rog :salute:

He straight up used Don as weaponized nuclear grade ether to let Cutler know that the agency is still his, and had him looking dumb when he was saying creative doesn't matter that much right after saying he was speaking for Ted.

The meeting and the lead up to it were pretty telling about the state of the office, though. For a guy that's not supposed to be there at all, there was literally nobody to stop this guy from walking in and doing whatever he wanted.

Then, everyone but the lower end of the creative team was pissed to see him.

After thinking about it, that whole thing with Bobby and Betty was meant to just mirror Don coming back. Much like Bobby, he was selfish and fukked up. He was willing to admit his wrongdoings and fix the problem, but just like Betty, most of the partners were just being vindictive. Joan was pissed about Don telling Jaguar to fukk off (which was the right call, since that guy was going to keep being terrible to work with since he was used to getting ridiculously placated by them). Bert is just old. Jim just wants Don gone as payback for what he did to Ted (even though he bailed Ted out by giving him his spot in California). Roger just wanted him to learn his lesson, and come back.

Really, the only reason I could see Don accepting those terms is either to link up with Roger to snatch their agency back, or if part of the offer from the other agency required him to make a clean break of all connections to SC&P (and we all know they weren't going to buy him out of his partnership stake), or fukk them over somehow and hand over info on their accounts, or bring accounts with him. That seems a little outlandish, though.

Also, Peggy is gunning for that Lou Avery fukk You hall of fame spot. I get that she's mad at Don for fukking with Ted and some supposed crime against her career progression, but that " we didn't miss you" shyt was mad childish. It's like she's supposed to be the anti-Don. She does some of the same type shyt as him, but absolutely none of it gets a pass because she's so bytchy.

I can't wait until Don pulls a power move on her or Lou in the near future......non of those rules stated he couldn't troll his way back into power.
realize that don nor ted, never told peggy why he left

don was supposed to go.. he signed up to go.. peggy thought her and ted was all good and he was in love.. she STILL thinks he's in love by the way she immediately thought he sent those flowers

so she hates don for that. she thinks he sent ted there to fukk with peggy or break them up. i think she'll find out later this season and they'll be tight again

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I think you guys are right about Lou having to leave soon anyway. He's been there for more than a year on a two year contract, and Don will probably do everything he can to outshine and undermine the dinosaur.

But I am (thankfully) regularly wrong about the direction of this show, which is why I love it so much.

After this coming week's ep, we will be halfway through part one of this season :sadcam:

Lou's only been there a few months.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Lou's only been there a few months.
Maybe I'm way off on this, but didn't Meagan say "You've been on leave for a year, and you didn't come to see me?" Don ran into his replacement on the way out of the door whenever he was put on leave. To me, that means, when Don was let go (over a year ago according to Meagan), he ran into Lou, = Lou has been there a year.

i just assumed that those things lined up. My timing on this show is thrown off completely, honestly.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
How exactly did Lou come to be the creative head again? Can't wrap my head around what value he providing when even all the execs know he's incompetent

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How exactly did Lou come to be the creative head again? Can't wrap my head around what value he providing when even all the execs know he's incompetent
They haven't gotten into how he got the job, but I don't think there's much to it. They probably wanted a less radical and safer person in there after the Don fiasco with Hershey. It's not like he has a permanent job with the agency anyway.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
They haven't gotten into how he got the job, but I don't think there's much to it. They probably wanted a less radical and safer person in there after the Don fiasco with Hershey. It's not like he has a permanent job with the agency anyway.
I thought that they had the meeting to put Don on leave the same day that Lou got introduced? Didn't Don run into him at the elevator?

I don't think there's anything special about him, he's just an old head from the ad industry that they needed to fill a spot.

Daps
realize that don nor ted, never told peggy why he left

don was supposed to go.. he signed up to go.. peggy thought her and ted was all good and he was in love.. she STILL thinks he's in love by the way she immediately thought he sent those flowers

so she hates don for that. she thinks he sent ted there to fukk with peggy or break them up. i think she'll find out later this season and they'll be tight again

I'm pretty sure Ted told her why he was leaving. He told her he needed to save his marriage.

Peggy is just morphing into a bitter old woman.