Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you believe that rap fans on the south,west,midwest were hype from Nas verse on Live At The BBQ:mjlol:? Where would you say the general concentration of the hype that preceded it was located? In NY or among the demographic of fans who enjoyed lyric based hiphop right?which by default,in general would make them fans of east coast music by in large.

You don't see me downplaying every album that had hype preceding the album,that lived up to expectations. Albums like Doggystyle,Amerikkkas Most,College Dropout,All Eyez On Me,E.99,TM101. But all of these albums had high expectations across the globe and lived up to it and pleased all regions. Whereas the albums we are discussing had hype in N.Y and from N.Y fans. And based on living up to the hype of that one demographic,the narrative has been painted as if those albums were crowned by the people at its inception.

Which brings me to the point,somebody said Migos could never have a album seen as classic as those albums. I don't agree thats the case with all of those albums. As Migos already have a album viewed as classic among one demographic and largley in one region in No Label 2 and I'm sure its loved in ATL and the south if not everywhere. Not all classics should be held in the same vein though. None of those albums deserve to be with Paid In Full if you are a historian.

you just said you were 10 in 94. I had finished college by that time. what you are saying really doesnt make any sense. NY was still a top region at that time. When you start naming other stuff around and after that time the other regions were just gaining a head of steam. Most rap at that time still had more of regional following than in the late 90's - 2k when it all become more "regionless" you talkin bout different time frames and making shyt seem like it was at the same time. :snoop: like Nas and Wu Tang gained their stature off just NY record sales.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
Those classics are simply on the level they are based on the fact NY at that moment in time was the epicenter of hiphop media,and controlled the narrative. Those classics are only on a high level to a certain demographic of people who love lyricism or from the east,except for Illmatic in hindsight. You forget that internet hipsters control the narrative now,as well as whatever the south says is hot,usually comes to fruition. To another generation I'm sure they have their own classics they see on that level. Seems like GRODT is looked at as one of those. Hmmmm,what do you know,a nikka who wasn't all that lyrical and without much of a flow,who is somehow seen as more lyrical and more of an emcee than Migos based on his birthplace and mature/aggresive content:sas1:

I agree with you though,without mature content,Migos don't have much of a chance,if they want to be around as long as Jay-z like they said,they better learn to sprinkle some substance in on a few tracks per album.

Let me also add that I picked Illmatic and Liquid swords specifically to stay on topic. Someone already pointed out that Gza admitted to taking sometimes eons to put songs together and Nas had a story where he spoke about how he had this book of rhymes that he lost and how it was like losing aa lotto ticket but he had most of it memorized. Thats why I mentioned those albums because it has emphasis on time being taken to have the right lyrical presentation through penmanship. Those 2 examples of taking time with writing rhymes created 2 classics.

and to answer your question about MOP and Migos......Those are 2 different styles but I peeped what u were trying to do. :youngsabo:

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Yeah you weren't old enough to fully realize what was going on.

I was,as well as thats why you can have conversations with people older than you and gather a consensus. Maybe some of you should try listening to people younger than you every once and while so you can have a clue as to whats going on as well. Some of you seem severely archaic and out of touch.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I was,as well as thats why you can have conversations with people older than you and gather a consensus. Maybe some of you should try listening to people younger than you every once and while so you can have a clue as to whats going on as well. Some of you seem severely archaic and out of touch.
Nothing personal breh...but a 10 year olds opinion doesn't mean much to me. :yeshrug:

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Let me also add that I picked Illmatic and Liquid swords specifically to stay on topic. Someone already pointed out that Gza admitted to taking sometimes eons to put songs together and Nas had a story where he spoke about how he had this book of rhymes that he lost and how it was like losing aa lotto ticket but he had most of it memorized. Thats why I mentioned those albums because it has emphasis on time being taken to have the right lyrical presentation through penmanship. Those 2 examples of taking time with writing rhymes created 2 classics.

and to answer your question about MOP and Migos......Those are 2 different styles but I peeped what u were trying to do. :youngsabo:

Your reluctance to answer the question says it all. Maybe you shouldn't be comparing artist from 20 years ago style,with artist of today and expecting the exact same. Alot of these guys are actually witty,have cool deliverys and unheard of flows,as well as some just have some real shyt to say.

Plus you need to realize something,majority of rap fans never cared about that rippity rap style anyway outside of the east coast. So saying rappers need to focus more on their lyrics will only lead to more mediocre,boring,uninspired lyricist like J Cole and Wale. I prefer complete emcees far more,and guys who just know how to make great music.

You have to understand the proccess allows for them to not neccesarily be lazy,but to work fast. Probably a little too fast,sometimes good music takes time and sometimes it doesn't. Thats up to the fans to decide and stop dikkriding everything their favorite artist puts out. But that goes for lyrical guys like J Cole and Kendrick who can drop wack projects and not be questioned because it appears they put more time in then the next man. I say fukk your effort if your asking me,the payoff is the music which the ammount of time you spend on it doesn't neccesarily matter.

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Nothing personal breh...but a 10 year olds opinion doesn't mean much to me. :yeshrug:

Non taken,where are you from?btw whats your age and race?lets see how much your opinion should mean to me,and what years I should be able to disregard:jbhmm:?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Non taken,where are you from?btw whats your age and race?lets see how much your opinion should mean to me,and what years I should be able to disregard:jbhmm:?
Sure. I'm a 37 year old white man from the Bay Area. So in 94 I was 13-14. Biggie was getting all day radio play from Juicy on. Ice Cream got a little bit of play here and there. But everything from New York we were seeing on CMC, Rap City and Yo.
Regard or disregard away. :prodigylol:

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
How many Pac songs were recorded iver a short period of time? How many classic songs does Pac have? Jay has completed entire albums in like two weeks and still considered classic.

OK but then we also have to come to the conclusion that not everyone can copy that same formula...hence the reason why we are in this era we are now where there are no 90's Tupac and late 90's/early 2000's Jay Z level type albums out in this decade that used that same formula.

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Sure. I'm a 37 year old white man from the Bay Area. So in 94 I was 13-14. Biggie was getting all day radio play from Juicy on. Ice Cream got a little bit of play here and there. But everything from New York we were seeing on CMC, Rap City and Yo.
Regard or disregard away. :prodigylol:

Hmm,interesting background you have:jbhmm:

white man. :prodigylol:

But unfortuanately,rejected:martin:

Without prejudice:sas1:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Hmm,interesting background you have:jbhmm: