Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
Would have got some better shots if I had a press pass but fukk it... I got to the venue right when the guy who was going to get me a pass was hitting the stage.

:manny:

I still got in with my shyt tho
:deadmanny:

Nice breh!

I literally got off a plane, ran home and showered/changed then ran to the show...so last minute I decided not to bring my gear. I figured Sony Hall would be douchy like other venues and not let me bring my D810 in...fukkers didn't even check bags :sadbron:

Was so pissed at myself....would have had some ill shots :snoop:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Nice breh!

I literally got off a plane, ran home and showered/changed then ran to the show...so last minute I decided not to bring my gear. I figured Sony Hall would be douchy like other venues and not let me bring my D810 in...fukkers didn't even check bags :sadbron:

Was so pissed at myself....would have had some ill shots :snoop:
I got in with my stuff on pure luck. Finessed the shyt out of security
:whew:

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lupe and kendrick in the same tier

they make music for nerds who have 3 hours to spare to dissect every word in a song to make some sort of abstract meaning that prob aint even what they intended.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin

they make music for nerds who have 3 hours to spare to dissect every word in a song to make some sort of abstract meaning that prob aint even what they intended.
They’re not in the same tier at all.

If someone can’t grasp the content and message on this album on a surface level without breaking their brain chances are that they’re dumb as fukk :heh:

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Would have got some better shots if I had a press pass but fukk it... I got to the venue right when the guy who was going to get me a pass was hitting the stage.

:manny:

I still got in with my shyt tho
:deadmanny:

It's posts like this one that make me feel lucky to be a member of this board. :wow:
I can't be there to see my favorite rapper, but someone else can and I get to see the fruits of that. Thank you breh. :mjcry: Take this rep.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
The aquatic/basketball/drug game wordplay in the second verse of Down is absolutely RIDICULOUS. His sing song-y flow on that song and the overwhelming beat makes it so smooth that the lyricism can kinda escape you if you ain't really listening.

"Throw us in the water, execution
We really thought we wasn't gonna do nothin'
But the sharks and the dolphins gonna do somethin'
Walked up out that water, evolution
Ayy, ayy, revolution
Pass the plate, you should make a contribution
If you ain't got it then you gotta go and get it
Climate change, chain flooded, call it sleepin' with the fishes
Tired of all these bytches, in my net it's just fishes
In my net it's just swishes, boom
And you know I'm a floater, ballin'
Coachin' from the ark, Doc Rivers, call Flipper
my nikka
Say you got it for the low (low)
Say you got it by the boat (by the oat)
When you whip it in the water (whip it, whip it)
If it's real, it'll float
"

Low key jealous of all you nikkas whose first time hearing Haille Selassie and Jonylah Forever is this album. Incredible records but they're 4-5 years old so most of his hardcore fans have rinsed the shyt out of those records way before Drogas Waves was a thing.

Glad he included them on here though. They fit perfectly theme wise and are two of his best "Lupe ain't been right since The Cool blah blah blah" records.

Edit: that "getting closer to the magic like the wrapping on a wand box" line on stronger is dope lol

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The aquatic/basketball/drug game wordplay in the second verse of Down is absolutely RIDICULOUS. His sing song-y flow on that song and the overwhelming beat makes it so smooth that the lyricism can kinda escape you if you ain't really listening.

"Throw us in the water, execution
We really thought we wasn't gonna do nothin'
But the sharks and the dolphins gonna do somethin'
Walked up out that water, evolution
Ayy, ayy, revolution
Pass the plate, you should make a contribution
If you ain't got it then you gotta go and get it
Climate change, chain flooded, call it sleepin' with the fishes
Tired of all these bytches, in my net it's just fishes
In my net it's just swishes, boom
And you know I'm a floater, ballin'
Coachin' from the ark, Doc Rivers, call Flipper
my nikka
Say you got it for the low (low)
Say you got it by the boat (by the oat)
When you whip it in the water (whip it, whip it)
If it's real, it'll float
"

Low key jealous of all you nikkas whose first time hearing Haille Selassie and Jonylah Forever is this album. Incredible records but they're 4-5 years old so most of his hardcore fans have rinsed the shyt out of those records way before Drogas Waves was a thing.

Glad he included them on here though. They fit perfectly theme wise and are two of his best "Lupe ain't been right since The Cool blah blah blah" records.

Edit: that "getting closer to the magic like the wrapping on a wand box" line on stronger is dope lol
Yeah, the imagery of slaves as drugs you get with "Whip it in the water" is effortlessly dope and "Dark/Doc Rivers" is surprisingly layered when you consider "a contest decided on "Clippers", because the city was known for the great sailing ships that passed through San Diego Bay". Also, just caught "Watson/waltzin' all on top of that water" in Alan Forever. Not even really trying on these and still dropping gems.

Breh Obama

First Breh President. Coli Prophet.
Daps
Reppin
Leader of the righteous Brehs!

So you're admitting you're not smart enough for that kind of music and you need your music dumbed down with remedial repetitive lyrics that sound like nursery rhymes?

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
“Third layer from the wave
And grant absurd last prayers and first favors from the grave
To crack the pipes like icy nights and turn mayors into slaves”

This man is ridiculous