Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
Nas has mentioned Lupe before. He called him a breath of fresh air.

Nas don’t go around offering praise to any and everybody. The rapper he’s shouted out the most in the past 5 years thats “new school” is J.Cole.
And thats because Cole was damn near worshipping Nas publicly for like 3 years beforehand.

Other than that Nas praises rappers within his generation (Jay, Lauryn Hill) or rappers he personally looks up to/respects (Scarface, Slick Rick, G.Rap, Killer Mike)

I already said in my initial comment on this that I know Nas said something about him or once twice. He also said he’ll bump anytime he drops...something like that.

Point is, it’s a little weird to me that Nas never worked with Lupe, like someone else said.

One would think they’re a PERFECT matching duo, in terms of their music genre, message, sophisticated penmanship, plight, etc.

BUT, on the other HAND, they’re EXTREMELY different people. If you’re a fan of of these two, you’d easily know this. And to ME, this is a whole other deeper topic I’m not sure dudes can handle without getting super defensive and emotional on this board.

Personally, that’s what it looks like to me. Nas sees him on a competitive level. Cause he shouting out more heads than Cole breh. He ALWAYS shouts out Drake, Kendrick, 2 chains, future, The Weeknd, Rick Ross, French, Meek Mill, Khaled, etc, WHENEVER he gets the chance. Always.

*That list runs longer btw*

Oh yeah, everyone but Lupe. Even though Lupe called him his favorite over & over again YEARS before Cole. It Was Written is his fav hiphop album ever breh.

For the shyt Lupe says, stands for, delivers, talks about, complexities, etc, in my opinion, anyone on a Nas/Jay/Kanye like respected/heralded level should ALWAYS give Wasalu the fukking credit he deserves. How else do we they keep this hip hop culture progressively moving forward? Shouldn't they champion these dudes, even if it isn't in their best interest?

Instead, we have shytty biased sheeple reviews of this beautiful homemade self reflective/uplifting/story-telling filled with layers of underlying concepts Lu cooked for US...yes...4 you and I...

...and Nas posting screenshots of Kids See Ghost talking about “On Repeat”

Lupe seriously became the Dark Knight. The hero we don’t deserve...and that shyt is wack to me brehs.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Was there any truth to the rumor that Lupe submitted music to be on The Black Panther Soundtrack?
:jbhmm:

If so, my guess would be that Kingdom was the song he might of sent in to get placed on that. That could also be a reason why he dropped those tweets about the cover art with the SLR2 line

That song would fit perfectly on that BP album
:wow:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I know some folks don't like the Slave Ship interlude but I love it :yeshrug:
shyt puts me in a mood and adds some extra gravity to some of the songs before and after.
How many times do you need to listen to that track tho? I get it's purpose for the sake of the story he's telling, but I don't need to listen to it often. He had the seasonal change interludes on T&Y as well, but they weren't 3+ minutes, but even still, I can skip em.

Classical music/instrumentation puts my daughter to sleep tho, so when it's bed time I might play that when I'm laying her down
:manny:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I already said in my initial comment on this that I know Nas said something about him or once twice. He also said he’ll bump anytime he drops...something like that.

Point is, it’s a little weird to me that Nas never worked with Lupe, like someone else said.

One would think they’re a PERFECT matching duo, in terms of their music genre, message, sophisticated penmanship, plight, etc.

BUT, on the other HAND, they’re EXTREMELY different people. If you’re a fan of of these two, you’d easily know this. And to ME, this is a whole other deeper topic I’m not sure dudes can handle without getting super defensive and emotional on this board.

Personally, that’s what it looks like to me. Nas sees him on a competitive level. Cause he shouting out more heads than Cole breh. He ALWAYS shouts out Drake, Kendrick, 2 chains, future, The Weeknd, Rick Ross, French, Meek Mill, Khaled, etc, WHENEVER he gets the chance. Always.

*That list runs longer btw*

Oh yeah, everyone but Lupe. Even though Lupe called him his favorite over & over again YEARS before Cole. It Was Written is his fav hiphop album ever breh.

For the shyt Lupe says, stands for, delivers, talks about, complexities, etc, in my opinion, anyone on a Nas/Jay/Kanye like respected/heralded level should ALWAYS give Wasalu the fukking credit he deserves. How else do we they keep this hip hop culture progressively moving forward? Shouldn't they champion these dudes, even if it isn't in their best interest?

Instead, we have shytty biased sheeple reviews of this beautiful homemade self reflective/uplifting/story-telling filled with layers of underlying concepts Lu cooked for US...yes...4 you and I...

...and Nas posting screenshots of Kids See Ghost talking about “On Repeat”

Lupe seriously became the Dark Knight. The hero we don’t deserve...and that shyt is wack to me brehs.

Heres how i See it

Theres a difference between a shoutout, “Props to -insert rapper here- New album available Now!”

And PRAISE.

Nas calling Lupe a breath of fresh air and saying he’ll listen to anything he puts out is PRAISE. That means he’s officially on the radar.

I don’t doubt there’s a level of competition, i even agree with that point. Steel sharpens steel. But that doesn’t mean that Nas don’t have real love for Lupe. Lupe was gonna be on The Mass Appeal compilation and he’s not even affiliated with the label!

Jay executive produced FNL. kanye produced beats on FNL, put Lupe on Late Registration, formed a damn SUPER GROUP with him. You can’t get any deeper of a cosign from those two. Lupe wasn’t a roc artist, and nowadays, whose albums are Jay-Z producing? Not many.

Lupe got the cosigns he NEEDED back when they were important. Nas, Jay, and Ye gave him that extra credibility and helped put him in position to have a long career. Hell, Lu could have very well been the modern day Kendrick Lamar had Atlantic not completely fukked up his momentum.

I think CERTAIN artists don’t necessarily need constant public praise to know that they are special and appreciated. Remember Nas and Jay came from an era where it was dog eat dog. Nas was coming up against (so to speak) Rakim, KRS, and G Rap and had to stand out to earn a spot. Russel Simmons told him he wouldn’t ever sell any records. He had to MAKE that shyt happen.

Jay was 27 when he finally got on. And had to CREATE his own lane and his own label to get there.

These aren’t two men accustomed to simply co-signing. So i take their word regarding a new MC seriously. Lupe got blessed when he most was in need of it and i think he appreciates that.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
How many times do you need to listen to that track tho? I get it's purpose for the sake of the story he's telling, but I don't need to listen to it often. He had the seasonal change interludes on T&Y as well, but they weren't 3+ minutes, but even still, I can skip em.

Classical music/instrumentation puts my daughter to sleep tho, so when it's bed time I might play that when I'm laying her down
:manny:
It's nice man lol. Its good stuff to study to and/or create to. Not the type of classical music I'd play to put a baby to sleep to tho lol.

I always play the interludes for T&Y :manny:
Transition from the Winter interlude to Chopper :banderas:

You could say that for the Drogas song as well in terms of needing to hear it. I play it though :manny:

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Was there any truth to the rumor that Lupe submitted music to be on The Black Panther Soundtrack?

If so, my guess would be that Kingdom was the song he might of sent in to get placed on that. That could also be a reason why he dropped those tweets about the cover art with the SLR2 line

Well didn TDE manage that album? No way Lupe’s song was makin it on there lol

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla

That makes a lot of sense but TDE had to get a Travis Scott track in