Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Btw brehs, my friends and I have a joke among us about Lupe and Nas....so I wanna ask everyone here...

Why is that Nas pretends like Lupe doesn't exist? And yes, I know he name dropped him once or twice in interviews before, but hear me out.

Nas shouts out everyone and their mothers albums all the time. People ask him who he checking out in interviews, he pretty much name drops EVERYONE. Same day Cole drops he shouting it out on IG/twttier, same for Kendrick, The Weeknd, Drake, his mass appeal peoples, hell even freaking French Montana...but, he ALWAYS avoids the gawd Wasalu.

Personally, I think its cause Nas knows Wasalu is one of his GREATEST competitors. It's like the greatest compliment. Lupe is SO authentic/positive...Nas don't really want that kinda smoke. Also, he knows Lupe coming for his NECK if they got on a track together.

If I'm allowed to say this, I'm so proud Lupe dropped this project. Ppl were real skeptical (me being one of them), and rightly so, after Lasers & Drogas Light, but Lupe OUTDID himself brehs. He said he would, and he really did it. Ppl saying fukk reviews...and I get that...but he's human brehs. I'm sure it hurts/bothers him that these industry cacs and sheeple of the masses can't give him a fair shake. Make no mistake about it, if Kendrick dropped this, the masses would have gobbled this up.

Hoping to meet the gawd after the show. Hoping i really get the chance to ask him this myself to see what he says lol

Nas is a pothead who is probably more focused on his lucrative businesses outside of rap than rap right now, he probably just doesn't think to mention him, not deliberate. He doesn't mention Black Thought, Royce, Los, etc... either. Look at the names you mentioned that he does list, those are all popular, big artists, easy references, Lupe isn't. I don't think it's that deep

Last edited:

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
"Which side are you on? We're getting warmer
Cuz I can’t hold on, are you close to meeee?"

laugh.JPG

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Catching him for the first time at Sony Hall on the 7th! Only thing is...I land from my Desert excursion out in Arizona that afternoon. More than likely gon feel EXHAUSTED...but I couldn't give up what could potentially be the last time I'd catch the young GOAT in NYC.

Hard to explain why, but I feel like this is the BEST time to catch him. Its not the prime of his career, but I feel like he's really peaking right now. It's after all the controversy in his career...now he's really in his own world. Doing what the fukk he wants. Lu has ALWAYS been on some advanced next ish, but he's genuinely so much more than just a rapper brehs. Not only he really has hood stripes, a black belt, swordsman, etc, but he's always THAT dude to touch on sensitive topics...

There was a time when I think most people would have looked at Nas for this kinda material....but Esco ain't really about that life anymore, sadly. Nas is my favorite rapper ever btw...but its a little sad to think about how he's still very much all about blunts, henny, and thots....meanwhile, Lupe is SO MUCH MORE ADVANCED than that ish and is STILL dropping AOTY worthy material, filled with bars, themes, concepts, etc.

My top 5 in no order: Manilla, WAV Files, Down, Stack that Cheese, Timbuck 2? Alan Forever is up there. Haile, Cripple, King Nas, etc.

Btw, STICKY THIS THREAD AGAIN PLEASE. WTF.

If all you get from ELEVEN studio albums plus Distant Relatives and the ****** Mixtape is blunts, henny, and Thots then Nas was never your favorite rapper to begin with.

Untitled & Distant Relatives wrote the Blueprint for almost the entire back half of Lupe’s career.

Lets NEVER get ahead of ourselves because lu just dropped a great album and forget that Nas has literally been talking about issues within the black community and the greater African Diaspora since Live At The BBQ

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
If all you get from ELEVEN studio albums plus Distant Relatives and the ****** Mixtape is blunts, henny, and Thots then Nas was never your favorite rapper to begin with.

Untitled & Distant Relatives wrote the Blueprint for almost the entire back half of Lupe’s career.

Lets NEVER get ahead of ourselves because lu just dropped a great album and forget that Nas has literally been talking about issues within the black community and the greater African Diaspora since Live At The BBQ

I expected someone to get emotional over my post...but I didn't expect someone to try and alter my interpretation of Esco's career.

No one said anything about Nas NOT being that dude in Hip-hop. The fukking GOAT with one of the greatest catalogs/careers ever.

No one said anything about all his projects being solely about blunts, henny, and thots. (If you can't admit they're a significant portion of it, idk what to say to you)

My very REAL observation of Lupe & Nas today doesn't change history.

Nas doesn't have to touch on these topics anymore. He's paid his dues. Anything new he drops is nothing but charity. So we love it.

In the same breathe, Lupe has paid his dues as well.

BUT...We're in 2018 now.

Nas dropped Nasir, a small project with a gap of what...5 or 6 years? Outside of Cops shot the kid...its very much filled with what...yeah, you guessed it.

Lupe on the other hand STILL DOING IT FOR US. STILL.

And it ain't a reach to say Nas ain't dropping material like Untitled ever again.

Nas the GOAT, but Lupe just different bro. So different.

So cut it out with all the defensive/superior remarks if you ain't got the ability to admit to these FACTS.

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
Nas is a pothead who is probably more focused on his lucrative businesses outside of rap than rap right now, he probably just doesn't think to mention him, not deliberate. He doesn't mention Black Thought, Royce, Los, etc... either. Look at the names you mentioned that he does list, those are all popular, big artists, easy references, Lupe isn't. I don't think it's that deep

Yeah, I don't fully believe that breh.

Agreed that the gawd is a pothead and is more focused on business...that's been the deal since LIG in my opinion.

But him mentioning these rappers ALL THE TIME and shouting them out on social media is wild to me brehs.
You saying he just name dropping popular artists then?
Cause chances are he ain't bumping them religiously or anything like that.

Also, there's no WAY Nas doesn't know Lupe dropped. No way. You don't think SOMEONE told him like, "Breh, Lupe got a track called King Nas"

Of course he knows he dropped. And he more than likely bumping too...but he just can't seem to mention him. It's deeper than that to me breh.

BTW, THERE'S AT LEAST TWO THREADS THAT CAN GET UN-STICKIED FOR THIS ONE.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I expected someone to get emotional over my post...but I didn't expect someone to try and alter my interpretation of Esco's career.

No one said anything about Nas NOT being that dude in Hip-hop. The fukking GOAT with one of the greatest catalogs/careers ever.

No one said anything about all his projects being solely about blunts, henny, and thots. (If you can't admit they're a significant portion of it, idk what to say to you)

My very REAL observation of Lupe & Nas today doesn't change history.

Nas doesn't have to touch on these topics anymore. He's paid his dues. Anything new he drops is nothing but charity. So we love it.

In the same breathe, Lupe has paid his dues as well.

BUT...We're in 2018 now.

Nas dropped Nasir, a small project with a gap of what...5 or 6 years? Outside of Cops shot the kid...its very much filled with what...yeah, you guessed it.

Lupe on the other hand STILL DOING IT FOR US. STILL.

And it ain't a reach to say Nas ain't dropping material like Untitled ever again.

Nas the GOAT, but Lupe just different bro. So different.

So cut it out with all the defensive/superior remarks if you ain't got the ability to admit to these FACTS.

Again all your doing is provinf that your not LISTENING if you think Nas ain’t touching on these subjects in 2018 and on Nasir in particular.

The very first LYRICS on Nasir are as follows

“Black Kemet Gods. Black Egyptian Gods.Summoned from Heaven, blessed, dressed only in Goyard”

SECOND VERSE

“Catholics, Moors and Masons (motherfukkers!)
John Hanson was not the first black pres to make it
Abe Lincoln did not free the enslaved
Progress was made 'cause we forced the proclamation
(fukk your proclamation!)
SWAT was created to stop the Panthers
Glocks were created for murder enhancement

The song Everything touches heavily on Afrocentric themes and messages. Final Verse

I'm buyin' back the land owned by the slave masters
Where my ancestors lived, just to say a rapper
Made a change, the pants-sagger put plans in action
To lay claim the Pan-African made it happen”

The entire Dream sung hook is an ode to black self confidence and identity.

Dark boy, don't you cry
There's too much life left in those eyes
Don't you let that face go waterfall
Don't you learn to love your scars and all
Dark boy, don't you die
They're just human, let them lie
You just know your world and speak your truth
And let them come to you
For you'll love, in your heart
See cause you've never been the same as anyone else
Don't think the same as everyone else
This is your call, there are no wrongs

So out of seven songs you’ve got only two that are specifically referencing... you guessed it. Thots, henny, and the “good” life. Bonjour and White label. It’s disingenuous to suggest that Nas isn’t rapping about the greater plight/condition/minstate/or set of circumstances in the African American community ir wider diaspora. Hell the album COVER itself is a nod to this.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tired of all these bytches, in my net it's just swishes
In my net it's just swishes
And you know I'm a floater, ballin'
Coachin' from the ark, Doc Rivers, call Flipper my nikka

nikka gave y’all bars on a harmonizing song :dead: :banderas:

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
Again all your doing is provinf that your not LISTENING if you think Nas ain’t touching on these subjects in 2018 and on Nasir in particular.

The very first LYRICS on Nasir are as follows

“Black Kemet Gods. Black Egyptian Gods.Summoned from Heaven, blessed, dressed only in Goyard”

SECOND VERSE

“Catholics, Moors and Masons (motherfukkers!)
John Hanson was not the first black pres to make it
Abe Lincoln did not free the enslaved
Progress was made 'cause we forced the proclamation
(fukk your proclamation!)
SWAT was created to stop the Panthers
Glocks were created for murder enhancement

The song Everything touches heavily on Afrocentric themes and messages. Final Verse

I'm buyin' back the land owned by the slave masters
Where my ancestors lived, just to say a rapper
Made a change, the pants-sagger put plans in action
To lay claim the Pan-African made it happen”

The entire Dream sung hook is an ode to black self confidence and identity.

Dark boy, don't you cry
There's too much life left in those eyes
Don't you let that face go waterfall
Don't you learn to love your scars and all
Dark boy, don't you die
They're just human, let them lie
You just know your world and speak your truth
And let them come to you
For you'll love, in your heart
See cause you've never been the same as anyone else
Don't think the same as everyone else
This is your call, there are no wrongs

So out of seven songs you’ve got only two that are specifically referencing... you guessed it. Thots, henny, and the “good” life. Bonjour and White label. It’s disingenuous to suggest that Nas isn’t rapping about the greater plight/condition/minstate/or set of circumstances in the African American community ir wider diaspora. Hell the album COVER itself is a nod to this.

You seriously went out your way to grab lyrics from two songs to somehow claim Nas doesn't talk only talk about the "good' life.
At this point you're just being nit picky.

It's not that serious. We all know Nas the gawd MC. It's all good. I'm not even sure what you're arguing against.

BUT, If you don't recognize the CLEAR distinction between these two say post 2010... I don't know what to tell you.

How about the fact that Lupe has dropped more than DOUBLE the amount of material since then?
MOST of it geared towards the "greater plight/condition/minstate/or set of circumstances" in mind?