Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That's a great song, but I honestly think there are songs on Waves that paint a better picture than it... it's a tough comparison because Lupe's songs honestly work better together on that album. Underwater is something I could listen to on its own just to wind down and chill, but I don't think that takes away from what Waves is trying to do.

Also, not everything this guy does is some dense ass word puzzle. Hurt Me Soul is a beautiful piece of hip hop that I think most heads can grasp. You get it all there... some soul, storytelling, and tightly wrapped barz with a great flow. You can listen to the track once and take in everything its saying on a storytelling level, then GO BACK and find even more depth there. Sometimes, you ain't even looking for it which is the best part and shows you how intricately things in this genre can be pieced together.

I wouldn't go to someone and put them on Mural first time listening to Lu. I'd point them towards F&L and The Cool, believe it or not, many people find those to be classics. Even then, there are people new to Lu that can admire what he did on Mural.

Being GOAT ain't some popularity contest brehs.
:mjlol:
You're being nice. Every storytelling song on THIS album paints a better picture than that Ghostface song... we don't even have to reference Lupe's previous work in terms of his storytelling ability because the stories on this album will go down as timeless.

When the tracklisting leaked, I pointed out my excitement for Jonylah Forever being on this album (that song is 5 years old). Easily one of the best example of storytelling to be showcased for hiphop... and it's a TIMELESS record. I knew a lot of casual fans never heard that song, so that's why I had no problems with him putting that on here. Anybody that can listen to that record and dismiss dude's ability is simply a hating ass muhfukka, period.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven't listened to anything else since :damn:

This man. The same thing happened to me with tetsuo and youth. Lupe makes it so i dont want to listen to anything else.

Tried listening to that new dolph, thug, machine gun. Eminem again, I've been listening to daytona amd drip season 3 faithfully since they dropped nope cant do it anymore after listening to waves

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Yo, that stretch from "Stack That Cheese" to the end of the album is incredible.

WHEN STACK THAT CHEESE COMES ON
I GET A CHILL IN MY BONES.

nikkaS JUST DONT KNOW HOW LONG IVE BEEN WAITING FOR A TRUE FOLLOW UP TO THE COOL.

LUPE WAS HEADING TO A NEW DEMENSION ON THAT ALBUM
THEN POLICTICS HAPPENED.

I SO HAPPY AND PROUD OF THIS ALBUM.

:mindblown:ITS CRAZY THATS ITS BEEN 11 fukkING YEARS
SINCE THE COOL.

:devil:
:evil:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
This man. The same thing happened to me with tetsuo and youth. Lupe makes it so i dont want to listen to anything else.

Tried listening to that new dolph, thug, machine gun. Eminem again, I've been listening to daytona amd drip season 3 faithfully since they dropped nope cant do it anymore after listening to waves
Same here I was fukking with the Em at first but compared to Lupe his rhymes seem so flat and meaningless

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I just don't see how anyone can call someone overrated that has been as consistently great as Kendrick. The man produces dope ass music...TIME AFTER TIME. That has very little to do with the "machine". That same machine put in work for MANY artists over the years that have put out lackluster music. He's just a High Level MC and artist and you guys don't do Lupe any favors by trying to discredit him as a MC and his music.
Truth.com

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:mjlol:
You're being nice. Every storytelling song on THIS album paints a better picture than that Ghostface song... we don't even have to reference Lupe's previous work in terms of his storytelling ability because the stories on this album will go down as timeless.

When the tracklisting leaked, I pointed out my excitement for Jonylah Forever being on this album (that song is 5 years old). Easily one of the best example of storytelling to be showcased for hiphop... and it's a TIMELESS record. I knew a lot of casual fans never heard that song, so that's why I had no problems with him putting that on here. Anybody that can listen to that record and dismiss dude's ability is simply a hating ass muhfukka, period.

Winner for biggest Lupe delusional dikkriding post of the day!

fukking nerds is BANANAS :russ:

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Sugah, I like you but if you don't like tha nikka, why tha fukk are yall here!?
I like Lupe but as I stated I don’t think he’s the artist he was when he first dropped. And secondly it’s a real stretch to call this album a Kendrick-caliber record. But as I always say “different strokes for different folks”. I also find it really interesting that the critic reviews have been lukewarm too.

Also at your message, that question should be asked to people who have been giving me a hard time (for months) in other threads where they constantly shyt on the albums I like. It can’t even go one way and be one-sided. If people can dish, they should be able to take.