Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
The nikka Billy is a dumbass, leave him to his stupidity
acting like Kendrick wasn’t rapping exactly like Lupe on overly dedicated and section 80 before he started to dumb it down :gucci:

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
There's nary a GZA or Nas track or verse I had to keep revisiting solely to find out what they are saying and these are dudes that made Liquid Swords and Illmatic. And my point is that whatever Lupe is doing is not as skillful as what those dudes are doing or did.

GZA said it himself:

"Yo, too many songs, weak rhymes that's mad long
Make it brief Son, half short and twice strong"

Lupe concept for this album is slaves that escaped and created a community in the seas, correct? Is anything on there as beautiful as the visuals of Ghostface's Underwater?

That's a great song, but I honestly think there are songs on Waves that paint a better picture than it... it's a tough comparison because Lupe's songs honestly work better together on that album. Underwater is something I could listen to on its own just to wind down and chill, but I don't think that takes away from what Waves is trying to do.

Also, not everything this guy does is some dense ass word puzzle. Hurt Me Soul is a beautiful piece of hip hop that I think most heads can grasp. You get it all there... some soul, storytelling, and tightly wrapped barz with a great flow. You can listen to the track once and take in everything its saying on a storytelling level, then GO BACK and find even more depth there. Sometimes, you ain't even looking for it which is the best part and shows you how intricately things in this genre can be pieced together.

I wouldn't go to someone and put them on Mural first time listening to Lu. I'd point them towards F&L and The Cool, believe it or not, many people find those to be classics. Even then, there are people new to Lu that can admire what he did on Mural.

Being GOAT ain't some popularity contest brehs.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I came in here looking forward to reading more responses about the album only to be disappointed y'all don't know how to hit the ignore button or scroll past posts from unstable people who obviously crave your attention :snoop:

EVEN THE FEW SONGS I WAS ORIGINALLY "SO SO" ON ARE NICE TO ME NOW.

THIS IS HIS BEST ALBUM.

THERES A NUMBER OF SONGS THAT HIT ME
IN MY CHEST AS SOON AS THE INSTRUMENTAL STARTS.

IVE NEVER FELT THIS WAY ABOUT ANY OTHER ALBUM.
:devil:
:evil:

You and me both. Most rappers would be fortunate to have one song that really hits the soul. This alien made a whole fukking album full of them.

I hesitated at first but I officially have this over The Cool and T&Y.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Lupe's album was always gonna get destroyed by the critics. We had to know this. Dude made a whole album basically shytting all over his former record label and the music industry as a whole. Went at america from the top down. Might be one of the only rappers to steadily send shots at the Jews. There's a reason he turned down all press. Lupe knows how the game is played and he knew any energy given to the media would only be energy wasted.

If this is indeed lupe's last album he went out in the best way possible. On his own terms. Giving the middle finger to all the devils who rule this shyt. He really gained my respect with this one. Most rappers don't got the heart to speak like this. Too afraid of the consequences.

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Let’s move past the Kendrick vs Lupe debate and discuss how sexy Nikki Jean is

Homeboy bout to come in like Kendrick gets way badder chicks to do feats :mjlol:

Are they dating? Whats the deal with them lol

He pretty much forgot about sarah green lol, unless somethin happened between them?

Goon for hire

All Star
Daps
Why is it that miserable nikkas on the coli always gotta come in threads with people enjoying something and try to derail it?:francis:

83f04748ff20700681fc5fdd8e876457.260x146x40.gif

a gif of "King" Kendrick Lamar bowing down to the Great Lupe fiasco:wow:

nikkas just cant accept that Lupe influenced a whole generation of conscious rappers:wow:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
The idea that Lupe gets "too lyrical" is particularly hilarious when he has albums worth of easy to follow songs: Lasers, to a lesser extent Food & Liquor 2, and Drogas Light.

Food & Liquor for the most part ain't hard to follow either. Neither is The Co...

Wait, I think nikkas might just be stupid :pachaha:

If y'all couldn't keep up with those albums then why even bother with T&Y and DW?

Bars with dense substance ain't for everybody. Music that digs deep and actually has a message ain't for all rap fans. That's why the mainstream artists rap the way they do. People don't like to have to think. It makes the ego uncomfortable. It challenges.

Just stick to what works with you. Don't have to vibe with the material, but anybody that denies this album's quality absolutely cannot be trusted with any hip hop opinions :manny:

Last edited: