Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Thats where your argument fails. Lupe isnt just complex though. He’s fully capable of giving simple quotable punchlines or have great story telling. He’s just fukking GREAT at being complex as part of his talent, and yall hold his complex lyrical ability against him cause you know your fave rappers couldnt pull it off if they tried.

Lupe could give kendrick type bars in his sleep, however Kendrick could never come up with the lyrical world play Lupe is capable of.

Why would anybody feel a certain way about their favorite rapper not being able to do what Lupe is doing when what their favorite rapper is doing is better than what Lupe is doing? :russ:

If Lupe can do what these rappers can do in his sleep than how come in his approximate 15 years in the game he has yet to make an all time great song? :jbhmm:

Name the Lupe song that people consider a GOAT Hip Hop song or going to be considered a GOAT Hip Hop song.

Last edited:

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I disagree with that last part, Nas and GZA don't go in that realm of wordplay as much as Lupe does, but there are some verses in Illmatic and Liquid Swords that made a nikka have to run it back again. The thing with Lupe is that you might pick up something the first time, and then pick up something completely different another time. I don't see what the fault in that is... and to imply that there is no skill involved in that...? Not every piece of media or art needs to be consumable on first glance/listen/read. That is an incredibly ass backwards line of thinking. I like Pac too but come on, I ain't going to get into verse wars because the moment post something from Lupe's best lines you gonna tell me my preference is wrong for not being yours. It's almost like we value different things.

shyt, I like to look at Prince and MJ, MJ far and above more successful and talented in certain areas (dancing?). But he wasn't even half the musician Prince was, and isn't even in the same stratosphere as a song writer as Prince was. His shyt was a lot easier to consume and take in though.

There's nary a GZA or Nas track or verse I had to keep revisiting solely to find out what they are saying and these are dudes that made Liquid Swords and Illmatic. And my point is that whatever Lupe is doing is not as skillful as what those dudes are doing or did.

GZA said it himself:

"Yo, too many songs, weak rhymes that's mad long
Make it brief Son, half short and twice strong"

Lupe concept for this album is slaves that escaped and created a community in the seas, correct? Is anything on there as beautiful as the visuals of Ghostface's Underwater?

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Why would anybody feel a certain way about their favorite rapper not being able to do what Lupe is doing when what their favorite rapper is doing is better than what Lupe is doing? :russ:

If Lupe can do what these rappers can do in his sleep than how come in his approximate 15 years in the game he has yet to make an all time great song? :jbhmm:

Name the Lupe song that people consider a GOAT Hip Hop song or going to be a GOAT Hip Hop song.
What is kdots goat song?

And werent we disccusing lyrics and bars? Why are you running about goat hip hop songs? When most of those lists and criticisms come from cac written articles?

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
What is kdots goat song?

And werent we disccusing lyrics and bars? Why are you running about goat hip hop songs? When most of those lists and criticisms come from cac written articles?

Those songs are mainly GOAT cause of the rhymes. What those guys are saying. Pac LYRICS made nikkas cry. Had dudes crying and he ain't have to be lyrically arabesque as Lupe to do it.

And whether you like it or not Kendrick got several songs that people been playing these past few years that people will consider GOAT songs for his generation.

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Those songs are mainly GOAT cause of the rhymes. What those guys are saying. Pac LYRICS made nikkas cry. Had dudes crying and he ain't have to be lyrically arabesque as Lupe to do it.

And whether you like it or not Kendrick got several songs that people been playing these past few years that people will consider GOAT songs for his generation.
Tupac is pretty much the MJ of rap so of course no one is going to touch that.

Lmao at “kendrick has several songs that people have been playing” if thats your proof or argument than We can say the same for people still bumping f & l and the cool to this day.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

EVEN THE FEW SONGS I WAS ORIGINALLY "SO SO" ON ARE NICE TO ME NOW.

THIS IS HIS BEST ALBUM.

THERES A NUMBER OF SONGS THAT HIT ME
IN MY CHEST AS SOON AS THE INSTRUMENTAL STARTS.

IVE NEVER FELT THIS WAY ABOUT ANY OTHER ALBUM.
:devil:
:evil: