Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
4Fmz8bd.png

Alt cover I made. Don't know how I feel about it. :patrice:
Be confident in it bro its dope

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
I just don't see how anyone can call someone overrated that has been as consistently great as Kendrick. The man produces dope ass music...TIME AFTER TIME. That has very little to do with the "machine". That same machine put in work for MANY artists over the years that have put out lackluster music. He's just a High Level MC and artist and you guys don't do Lupe any favors by trying to discredit him as a MC and his music.
I love them both. I think Lupe is better but I love TPAB more than any Lupe project. I'm sure they like each other

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
I just don't see how anyone can call someone overrated that has been as consistently great as Kendrick. The man produces dope ass music...TIME AFTER TIME. That has very little to do with the "machine". That same machine put in work for MANY artists over the years that have put out lackluster music. He's just a High Level MC and artist and you guys don't do Lupe any favors by trying to discredit him as a MC and his music.

I actually don't think Kung Fu Kenny is overrated at all, once again, I really like his music... You are IRONICALLY calling people dikk riders and dikk suckers in here while stanning for K.Dot in a Lupe thread:stopitslime:. But I do know why rappers reach the status quo and it isn't always because of being talented even if they are.

Kendrick makes better songs than Lupe piece for piece, he has much more repayable songs than Lupe, and he cares more about making an easily consumable content than Lupe. Hell, lyrically, I still think his shyt bops... but when you compare it to some of Lupe's BEST barz? Lol, brehs.

When it comes to being lyrically gifted and making barz, putting words together in a creative fashion. Lupe is far and away more authentic and complex. And no, I'm not calling you dumb, and no I don't think everyone should do this, artist should make the music they want to make and that's what he does. That's why we have shyt like Dumb It Down from The Cool. But no matter what answers we give you, you don't seem to accept any of it.

I fell off of Lupe from Lasers to T&Y and even then I didn't bump Lu that much in 2015 because I was too busy being blown away by TPAB (2015 was a good ass year for hip hop in general). So your narrative that I'm just some blind stan doesn't really fly.

I love them both. I think Lupe is better but I love TPAB more than any Lupe project. I'm sure they like each other

Same.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I actually don't think Kung Fu Kenny is overrated at all, once again, I really like his music... You are IRONICALLY calling people dikk riders and dikk suckers in here while stanning for K.Dot in a Lupe thread:stopitslime:. But I do know why rappers reach the status quo and it isn't always because of being talented even if they are.

Kendrick makes better songs than Lupe piece for piece, he has much more repayable songs than Lupe, and he cares more about making an easily consumable content than Lupe. Hell, lyrically, I still think his shyt bops... but when you compare it to some of Lupe's BEST barz? Lol, brehs.

When it comes to being lyrically gifted and making barz, putting words together in a creative fashion. Lupe is far and away more authentic and complex. And no, I'm not calling you dumb, and no I don't think everyone should do this, artist should make the music they want to make and that's what he does. That's why we have shyt like Dumb It Down from The Cool. But no matter what answers we give you, you don't seem to accept any of it.

I fell off of Lupe from Lasers to T&Y and even then I didn't bump Lu that much in 2015 because I was too busy being blown away by TPAB (2015 was a good ass year for hip hop in general). So your narrative that I'm just some blind stan doesn't really fly.

Same.

See that's peoples biggest thing with you Lupe stans: ya'll continue to imply, or straight say, that being more complex or cryptic or dense makes you better than another MC. It doesn't. Chino XL is more lyrically dense than Biggie or Ghostface. Is he better? Aesop Rock is more complex than Pac or Cube is he better? Sometimes the potency of a MC is his ability to give it to you concise and still make you feel it and say "damn!".

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
See that's peoples biggest thing with you Lupe stans: ya'll continue to imply, or straight say, that being more complex or cryptic or dense makes you better than another MC. It doesn't. Chino XL is more lyrically dense than Biggie or Ghostface. Is he better? Aesop Rock is more complex than Pac or Cube is he better? Sometimes the potency of a MC is his ability to give it to you concise and still make you feel it and say "damn!".

That's the thing though, he can shoot it straight and make you say "damn", then you can go over the same verse a few more times and realize there's more there than you realized, and make your ass say, "GOTDAMN!" But I get it, I can't say anything about his lyrical ability because you won't accept any of it and call me a stan because I think the guy can write barz and put words together in a way that's unique to him. It's all good though, feel free to resort to the name calling and trolling brehs. I'm just corny because he's not as popular as he used to be. :yeshrug:

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's the thing though, he can shoot it straight and make you say "damn", then you can go over the same verse a few more times and realize there's more there than you realized, and make your ass say, "GOTDAMN!" But I get it, I can't say anything about his lyrical ability because you won't accept any of it and call me a stan because I think the guy can write barz and put words together in a way that's unique to him. It's all good though, feel free to resort to the name calling and trolling brehs. I'm just corny because he's not as popular as he used to be. :yeshrug:

Just cause you may just find out some obscure shyt in a Lupe song 10, 20 years from now don't necessarily make it better, bruh. I knew everything about Dear Mama and Shook Ones the first time I heard them and YEARS later they still 2 of the best songs I ever heard and the raps are more potent than anything I EVER heard from Lupe. "Rock you in ya face, stab ya brain wit ya nose bone" is more potent than anything on Tetsuo and Youth". "Ya heartbeat sound like Sasquatch feet, thundering, shaking the concrete" is better than anything on Mural. That skill to put together some basic words and make you feel it is more impressive than whatever Lupe does. Nas and GZA make raps that you very rarely don't know what they're saying the first or second time you hear it but they are both generally considered two of the greatest lyricists of all time. You understand what I'm saying?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
what was this tweet about?
Probably the Vibe review. He doesn't care about reviews anymore, because he often feels like they're reviewing him instead of the music. It does make sense for this album tho as it's a personally triumphant one and gives context to the reviewer's closing statement, but it's also a reminder of all Lupe's failures since Lasers.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I didn’t fukk with Distant Relatives for whatever reason DM and Nas didn’t seem to mesh to me

But I could fukk with a Lupe and Damien album they seem to compliment a lot with they way there voices and flow mesh

Dboy41

All Star
Daps

Thats where your argument fails. Lupe isnt just complex though. He’s fully capable of giving simple quotable punchlines or have great story telling. He’s just fukking GREAT at being complex as part of his talent, and yall hold his complex lyrical ability against him cause you know your fave rappers couldnt pull it off if they tried.

Lupe could give kendrick type bars in his sleep, however Kendrick could never come up with the lyrical world play Lupe is capable of.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Just cause you may just find out some obscure shyt in a Lupe song 10, 20 years from now don't necessarily make it better, bruh. I knew everything about Dear Mama and Shook Ones the first time I heard them and YEARS later they still 2 of the best songs I ever heard and the raps are more potent than anything I EVER heard from Lupe. "Rock you in ya face, stab ya brain wit ya nose bone" is more potent than anything on Tetsuo and Youth". "Ya heartbeat sound like Sasquatch feet, thundering, shaking the concrete" is better than anything on Mural. That skill to put together some basic words and make you feel it is more impressive than whatever Lupe does. Nas and GZA make raps that you very rarely don't know what they're saying the first or second time you hear it but they are both generally considered two of the greatest lyricists of all time. You understand what I'm saying?

I disagree with that last part, Nas and GZA don't go in that realm of wordplay as much as Lupe does, but there are some verses in Illmatic and Liquid Swords that made a nikka have to run it back again. The thing with Lupe is that you might pick up something the first time, and then pick up something completely different another time. I don't see what the fault in that is... and to imply that there is no skill involved in that...? Not every piece of media or art needs to be consumable on first glance/listen/read. That is an incredibly ass backwards line of thinking. I like Pac too but come on, I ain't going to get into verse wars because the moment post something from Lupe's best lines you gonna tell me my preference is wrong for not being yours. It's almost like we value different things.

shyt, I like to look at Prince and MJ, MJ far and above more successful and talented in certain areas (dancing?). But he wasn't even half the musician Prince was, and isn't even in the same stratosphere as a song writer as Prince was. His shyt was a lot easier to consume and take in though.