Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
imo he prolly does 1 of two things. Or both

1) writes alot- in the creative world when u write or do ur craft alot, coming up with new and sometimes relatively original ideas come up frequently

2) he turns everything around him into his art. he sees everything as something he can use in his rap for concepts and his lyricism. From a fly on the wall to the mailman putting mail in the box and so on.

As a creative writer myself, these r two methods I know other creators use(and others) and I use myself.

Lupe seems like he def uses #2 method given his metaphoric references and concepts etc
Yep, i write too and know alot of writers

At the beginning you gotta build up the muscle memory of physically writing everyday, but once it becomes a habit that's easy to start, you can chill

We spend way more time now just doing livin life and looking for within it than actually sitting down puttin pen to the sheets all day

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Man i can’t BELIEVE HipHopDX only gave this album 3.8. Are they run by Cacs now or something?

Meanwhile Kendrick's worst album in DAMN was given a 4.9 and KOD was given a 4.6

Both those albums were really good but :francis:

They have it out for dude. Especially cacs. Period.

No Ma’am

Bang, Bang, Bang
Daps
Gold Island! Gold Island! Gold Island! Gold Island!
full

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Yep, i write too and know alot of writers

At the beginning you gotta build up the muscle memory of physically writing everyday, but once it becomes a habit that's easy to start, you can chill

We spend way more time now just doing livin life and looking for within it than actually sitting down puttin pen to the sheets all day
my go to creative writing is poetry.
And stuff like that is what I try to do. But I mostly use method #2 to see everything around me and turn it into a poem.

And alot of times fuses those "things" around me and fuse them with something else to make new concepts.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I'm guessing you have to be a big lupe fan to like this, he's definitely spitting but idk, just not the type of hip hop that gets me in the head nodding mood. And no I don't listen to these mumble rappers and trap dudes. This is on some in depth lyrical shyt which I like but the production isn't doing much for me.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man this album is something else. He may be the most technically gifted rapper we've ever seen. The skill and creativity it takes to pull something off like this is :mindblown:. The different emotions you go through listening to this is nuts. Waves is unreal. The entire concept is insane. I loved how he put all those songs together too as opposed to spacing them like other concept albums do. Allan Forever had me:mjcry: when I read the story behind it. I hadnt heard Jonylah forever in a while so hearing with the rest of the album had me :mjcry: again. Happy Timbuck2 and Mural jr :blessed:. Lupe is so damn good. Gotta give more spins. The only songs I couldnt really get with on first listen was Dragos, Stack that cheese and Cripple. Cripple was lyrically dope but something didnt click on first listen. Im halfway through my 2nd listen.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
He also shared that the album—which he mostly recorded in his home—was on a “razor-thin budget,” and he had to scrap some songs due to sample clearance issues:

“Some of the terms that people want to clear their samples can be a little too overboard,”
he said. “Got word back today about a few samples and we made the decision to pull the samples out and begin reworking the records cuz the upfront costs plus the rights they want on the back end are just unacceptable.”

He added, “Bad news Wavers: remakes of joints we can’t clear aren’t going according to plan. So I’ve decided to just start from scratch with new records instead of pushing through something on y’all that I’m not feeling and that I don’t think y’all would feel either. It’s like 3 joints but they were really pivotal to the second half of the album. So I’m gonna tear it all back down and start over till I get the vibe back.”

Smh. Hopefully we get to hear those 3 tracks that were left off. And they were from the 2nd half so you know they were prolly on some super smooth shyt

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Man i can’t BELIEVE HipHopDX only gave this album 3.8. Are they run by Cacs now or something?
I usually don’t give a fucc about reviews but that site just gave Russ 3.9 and Brockhampton 4.1 :mjlol:

I’m pretty sure KOD got like a 100.9 :francis: