Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
this shyt is incredible brehs....im not even sure where to start.

does anyone have any insight to his writing process?? like, how the fukk does he even start making an album like this?? :mindblown:

I know that Lupe reads a fukk ton of books outside of being a nerdy dude (anime, cartoons, video games), people like to say he isn't as smart as he or his fans think (mostly haters), but the dude is a genius with the pen. Like this ain't a skill you are just born with, you have to master that shyt and you can tell he gets really deep into his work.

Just Youtube any of his videos of him freestyling off the dome, the guy is better than most rappers with a pen while he's fukking freestyling.

He did an IG live about when his creative journey/process for this album began and he started collecting manillas and calling them his "most prized possessions." He used that as motivation throughout the creation of this album, besides that I don't have much. Dude doesn't really do interviews anymore.

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

I GET THE 2 FACE REFERENCE
BUT WHAT DOES THIS LINE MEAN?
:devil:
:evil:

God said dont ruin us, Lu says he wont then (hardly/barely) which is why he's still two faced (someone who is insincere or who acts one way in certain situations and then in a contrary manner in other) you can take it even further if you want and think of it like harvey dent whose burned one 1 side/dark (evils) and skin is smooth and light on the other(good) which is why harvey flips the coin etc etc
I'm legit tryna figure that out as well

Edit: the best thing I came up with is how Harvey was more or less good before he became 2 Face.
Think ya'll missed the wordplay of sense/cents. Harvey Dent carrys a coin (cent) and although Lupe is trying to stay true and not ruin the youth (Don't ruin us god said) he's still trying to make money (I hope this making sense/cents) off of his music.

He's not tryin to sellout but at the same time he wants to make music that sells, therefore being twofaced.

So this plus added on to the fact dude lived in Harvey, the one line goes deep af.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Brehs I gotta learn "Cripple" by heart :wow: the first and third verse for sure :lawd:

Community
Resistance
In
Progress
People
Lovingly
Explain

:blessed:

The hooks on this are :banderas: status. I think that is where he's shown a lot of growth. The hooks on this and T&Y blow the first 4 albums out of the water in terms of melody and catchyness.

And just the way he switches up his voice and adlibs, etc.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Community
Resistance
In
Progress
People
Lovingly
Explain

:blessed:

The hooks on this are :banderas: status. I think that is where he's shown a lot of growth. The hooks on this and T&Y blow the first 4 albums out of the water in terms of melody and catchyness.

And just the way he switches up his voice and adlibs, etc.

:ohhh: REP

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Juet imagine if he had a major behind him & made high budget videos for these songs.

Like evil cacs on a ship with black people on board with chains & shackles & they be jumping off the ship but they all living undersea.
A very blue video, and very wet from the standpoint of water.

Too bad he doesnt have the budget for visuals. A visual album/movie would be dope for a project like this

I DONT THINK A VIDEO
WOULD HAVE DONE THESE SONGS JUSTICE.

ITS BEST TO LET YOUR BRAIN DO THE IMAGERY.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I DONT THINK A VIDEO
WOULD HAVE DONE THESE SONGS JUSTICE.

ITS BEST TO LET YOUR BRAIN DO THE IMAGERY.

I actually disagree...

I think this type of album would connect with listeners even more if there was a visual album paired with it. This project is heavy... It separates itself from most releases in that it's far from disposable music. A lot stuff comes out, but how long does it live in your mind?

If there were various types of visuals for these songs the impact would be even higher. He could have anime stylistic videos (like Gambino's Feels Like Summer video)... Visuals like Jay's Story Of OJ, there's a lot of dope shyt he could do with this visually... Bro an animated visual for WAV Files would be unbelievable.

:wow:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Simple videos for Alan Forever and Jonylah Forever >>>>>>>
These wouldn't need videos. People just need the context about what the songs are about... He tells these stories perfectly with his lyrics, it's like I can see what he's saying during these songs play out in my head

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I actually disagree...

I think this type of album would connect with listeners even more if there was a visual album paired with it. This project is heavy... It separates itself from most releases in that it's far from disposable music. A lot stuff comes out, but how long does it live in your mind?

If there were various types of visuals for these songs the impact would be even higher. He could have anime stylistic videos (like Gambino's Feels Like Summer video)... Visuals like Jay's Story Of OJ, there's a lot of dope shyt he could do with this visually... Bro an animated visual for WAV Files would be unbelievable.

:wow:

NAH IVE SEEN ENOUGH SLAVES ON FILM IN MY LIFETIME.

NEVER HEARD THEM DIPICTED ON AN ALBUM LIKE THIS BEFORE.

YOURE TELLING ME WHAT YOU WANT THE VIDS TO LOOK LIKE...

HIS VISION, YOUR VISION, MY VISION FOR THESE SONGS WILL NEVER
BE THE SAME AND THATS A GOOD THING.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
These wouldn't need videos. People just need the context about what the songs are about... He tells these stories perfectly with his lyrics, it's like I can see what he's saying during these songs play out in my head
Not saying they're necessary but those two songs are made to catch on and go viral given the stories behind them. Don't need to do a straight forward video in terms of playing out the lyrics.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
On a scale of 1-10 I think the album is a solid 8 and arguably a top 5 release this year.

This is supposed to be read as a good thing but you are actually bugging on both accounts, especially the "arguably top 5" lol.

nikkas love downplaying this man's greatness.

Let Jay have put this out. It'd have it's own exhibit in the rock and roll hall of fame by October.

Arguably top 5...lmfao...