Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

I watched nikkas talk about this shyt like it was the greatest album ever recorded for days, so my expectations was super high when I finally got a chance to hear it.

I listened to the first 5 or so tracks and had to turn it off.

I won’t call it wack, I just may have not been in the right mood to hear it.

I’ll revisit in a day or so.

I love Lupe, not super in love with this album YET.

I can tell this is going to be a slow burn, I really really really like a select few songs but people talking about the production and how much better it is on this than his other projects, I don't really see it.

I can easily see how this might not hit people right away, if at all.

For me with Lupe's music a lot of times, I can't really just listen to the whole album. That one song grabs me and I wear it the fukk out til another one does and when I either form an attachment with the other tracks or just don't like em, then I let it play through to see how it all comes together. That's my process on this one right now.

Jonylah/Alan forever :mjcry:

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Great bars. Average musically. 7/10

It isn't good enough musically to keep me coming back to explore its depth. Beautiful theme, not sure how great it's fleshed out.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Great bars. Average musically. 7/10

It isn't good enough musically to keep me coming back to explore its depth. Beautiful theme, not sure how great it's fleshed out.

:pachaha:

As a Lupe fan, I’ll just say Tetsuo & Youth is way better than this

Yeah? T&Y is my favorite album ever. After listening to this a few times I'm not sure how long that status will last.

Out of curiosity why do you think T&Y is way better?

The way you feel about T&Y compared to DW is how I feel about both albums compared to F&L and The Cool lol.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

I watched nikkas talk about this shyt like it was the greatest album ever recorded for days, so my expectations was super high when I finally got a chance to hear it.

I listened to the first 5 or so tracks and had to turn it off.

I won’t call it wack, I just may have not been in the right mood to hear it.

I’ll revisit in a day or so.
3 of the first 5 tracks do not even have rapping on it fam.(normal rapping, not rapping in spanish)

im not one to tell someone to relisten or any of that. But you gotta listen further.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Upon first listen I thought that Lupe was trying to pander himself back into the pop fold.

Upon 2nd listen I realized that Lupe was trying to send messages in a more simplistic way that people who aren't as acquainted with him can understand.

I have come to terms that Lupe can never produce something as intricate and layered as what T&Y was over again but what he can do is flip the aesthetic of typical pop rap and make it something even more than its individual parts. I think Lupe had mastered the art of lyricism from a technical standpoint. I think what he is doing now is working on how to make a complete album and whether you love or don't love this album. This has been evident since T&Y.

On a scale of 1-10 I think the album is a solid 8 and arguably a top 5 release this year.

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first 5 tracks have lupe rapping in Spanish, lupe rapping in patoi, a violin solo...

Works cohesively speaking(and forms a really dope story) but not exactly the songs you should be basing your review around, especially if you ain't even finish the shyt.

Generally seems to be the case that besides WAV Files (did you even get to this song? Lol), Haile Sellasie and Alan Forever that the second half has all the best songs.

I would highly suggest listening to it in full and then forming your opinion.

I assure you if you come back from listening to King Nas, Cripple, Mural Jr, Sun God Sam and feel its whack, it will say a lot more about you as a fan of hip hop than it would about the album :pachaha:

Enjoy breh :salute:

Lmao nikkas listen to 4-5 tracks (of a 24 fukking track album) and saying it's "not what they in the mood to hear" :mjlol:

Stack That Cheese, HappyTimbuck2 Day, Imagine and Jonylah Forever :banderas: Whole second half of the album bangs

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I love Lupe, not super in love with this album YET.

I can tell this is going to be a slow burn, I really really really like a select few songs but people talking about the production and how much better it is on this than his other projects, I don't really see it.

I can easily see how this might not hit people right away, if at all.

For me with Lupe's music a lot of times, I can't really just listen to the whole album. That one song grabs me and I wear it the fukk out til another one does and when I either form an attachment with the other tracks or just don't like em, then I let it play through to see how it all comes together. That's my process on this one right now.

Jonylah/Alan forever :mjcry:
Give it a week

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I was listening to wav files really listening to it this time... And when he's speaking on behalf of the stars, the forest and the seas... I was at the gym and I started tearing up.

:mjcry: Lupe...

WAV files, Alan Forever, Jonylah Forever, Quotes from Chairman Fred and Haile Selassie the saddest songs for sure.

Alan Forever is this weird combination of happy and sad at the same time due to beat and mood of the song being so fun.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
WAV files, Alan Forever, Jonylah Forever, Quotes from Chairman Fred and Haile Selassie the saddest songs for sure.

Alan Forever is this weird combination of happy and sad at the same time due to beat and mood of the song being so fun.
Alan Forever legit makes you hopeful and sad :wow: