Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I did, if only briefly, and I did my best to approach it with an open mind since I'm the furthest thing from a fan, but unfortunately, I cannot stomach smart dumb shyt for too long. I don't question or particularly care for his intentions, but that explanation he put out on IG is basically why I can't fukk with his music (or in my opinion, lack thereof music), because he's more concerned with pointing out that his matryoshka doll raps exist (which is only reflected by it having little-to-no organic value), rather than letting his music do the talking.

Like a wise man once said - if you've got the sauce, you don't need to tell anyone you've got it, because if you do, it likely means you ain't got it.
This makes absolutely no sense.

It doesn't matter what this nikka dropped, some nikkas literally cannot separate their personal feelings for an artist vs the artist's music.

It is what it is. I get it. I'm that way for certain artists myself. I just don't fukk with them period. No need to post paragraphs as to why you dismiss somebody's music.

It's predictable which posters are going to come into a Lupe thread and shyt on him. Y'all been doing this for years now... Literally

:mjlol:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
If you can't understand this shyt how are you even a avid hip hop listener :jbhmm: shyts not hard to grasp at all. Lu obvs just can't win with nikkas off of lasers or some shyt cuz if certain other rappers spit this exact verse nikkas would be citing them as ascending and shyt :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
This makes absolutely no sense.

It doesn't matter what this nikka dropped, some nikkas literally cannot separate their personal feelings for an artist vs the artist's music.

It is what it is. I get it. I'm that way for certain artists myself. I just don't fukk with them period. No need to post paragraphs as to why you dismiss somebody's music.

It's predictable which posters are going to come into a Lupe thread and shyt on him. Y'all been doing this for years now... Literally

:mjlol:

right lmfao. Aubrey hasn't fully done dope project to me since NWTS but I'll at most pop in his new album thread say this shyt mid and bounce. For nikkas who aint fans they sure do seem more invested than some folks in here enjoying the record.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
This album is higher level flows and lyricism, not the lyrical miracle shyt the Joel Ortiz idiots of the world think epitomises the mark of a great spitter.
It feels like Lupe wrote a doctoral dissertation here, meanwhile you have fukking word scrabble and random word mashups being praised as the ultimate peak of hip hop bars.
Lupe is so far advanced it’s ridiculous

Daps
if you only briefly listened that means you listened to what Manila, gold, wav files??? whats smart dumb about any of those tracks. I'm not even trying to come at you even though I think youre wrong but I'm curious. None of those songs are very hard to follow.
The fact he needs to explain it ("my concept of Wave is all part of an extended metaphor surrounding slavery etc"), reinforces why it's not only smart dumb but corny. Which is why there's a fine line - where it can come off as natural, effortless and believable (Andre 3000 being a great example), or where you're sacrificing musical and poetical value, and raw, unfiltered musings at the expense of trying to needlessly expound shyt.

Last edited:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
You don’t rock wit the album ?

Just old heads being uncomfortable with what's happening :manny:

A human being rapping at this level is unprecedented. And it just so happens to be a guy who people actively seek to trivialize and hate on because he's a socially awkward weirdo who is an easy target. There'd be none of this if Kendrick made this exact same album, or Cole, or Jay.

I've caught very little of any of this shyt. Like I said, I just scroll by. But the stuff I do see on passing, it's transparent as hell and hilarious :pachaha:

He's better than your favorite rapper. Just accept it and enjoy the wave with us :blessed:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
The fact he needs to explain it ("my concept of Wave is all part of an extended metaphor surrounding slavery etc"), reinforces why it's not only smart dumb but corny. Which is why there's a fine line, where it can come off as natural, effortless and believable (Andre 3000 being a great example), or where you're sacrificing musical value and raw, unfiltered musings at the expense of trying to explain shyt.

What? Thats what you coming with? You aint even listen to the album fully and talking about sacrificing blah blah blah. fukk out of here :pachaha:You the convoluted essay king and you can't fukk with Lupe thats cognitive dissonance on galactic levels btw :pachaha:

I don't like Eminem at all really but at least spun Kamikaze once fully to form a educated opinion. And even then I just said "this shyt wack" as was on my way. You in here making up different ways to be dissatisfied with soem shyt you aint even listen to! Do you see how goofy that sounds fam?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Just old heads being uncomfortable with what's happening :manny:

A human being rapping at this level is unprecedented. And it just so happens to be a guy who people actively seek to trivialize and hate on because he's a socially awkward weirdo who is an easy target. There'd be none of this if Kendrick made this exact same album, or Cole, or Jay.

I've caught very little of any of this shyt. Like I said, I just scroll by. But the stuff I do see on passing, it's transparent as hell and hilarious :pachaha:

He's better than your favorite rapper. Just accept it and enjoy the wave with us :blessed:
J.cole or kdot makes manila and the slurpage would be unyielding. shyt they lose they mind over How much a dollar cost (I love this song btw) but when Lupe has an abstract storytelling track is smart dumb and cryptic. very transparent.

Daps
What? Thats what you coming with? You aint even listen to the album fully and talking about sacrificing blah blah blah. fukk out of here :pachaha:You the convoluted essay king and you can't fukk with Lupe thats cognitive dissonance on galactic levels btw :pachaha:
Did you ever think because I may be "the convoluted essay king" is the very reason why I understand that Lupe's shyt doesn't make for good music?

:lolbron:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Did you ever think because I may be "the convoluted essay king" is the very reason why I understand that Lupe's shyt doesn't make for good music?

:lolbron:
:russ: Lupe dope though and this project flames but I'm done trying to change ya'll nikkas minds

I'll just be listening to this heavenly shyt

don't ruin don't ruin don't ruin us god saidddddd :blessed: