Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder if Lupe was inspired by Camp Lo is his later years because he has that abstract language tyle at times. I'm listening to Stronger and its both straight forward but still hard to discipher completely.
Who knows, but I remember him saying he grew up on Ghostface in the Funkmaster Flex freestyle a few years back and he was bumping MF DOOM's Mm.. Food around the time he recorded Wave. As for Stronger, I just replied to someone else about it, maybe this'll help:

I hink it's best to step back to Haile Selassie and remember he abolished slavery in Ethiopia, which marks the end of the sinking slave ships portion, but mental slavery still exists in America and we haven't moved past the 2nd Selassie quote yet: "Then until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior, is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned. That until there no longer first class and second class citizens of any nation. Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes." Helter Skelter (Charles Manson's prophecy, which Lupe has previously referenced on Life, Death and Love From San Francisco) refers to an apocalyptic war (sign of the end times on Sun God Sam and talk of Armageddon on Mural Jr.) arising from this ongoing racial tension between black and white people and I feel the 1st verse touches on that, while also paving the way for the importance of a Kingdom over the king: "The constituency brilliant, but the candidates are stupid" This is also where the narrative of drugs ruining the children begins, but the ones profiting the most from this are the bail bond businesses getting small time drug dealers out of jail, while giant corporations like Coca Cola used to sell soda which contained cocaine: "What happens when the sugar barons meet the coca kings" To drive the point home further, the 3rd verse ends with more direct imagery of kings poisoning their own people: "Politics bring fevers to punish dealers, adjudicate the Jostens and stop the ring leaders, the Geese Howards (King of Fighters) and King Ghidorahs cook E in the family tree with sting keepers" Unsure about the last phrase, but I'm guessing it's using bees as a metaphor for a buzz/high.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
One of y’all need to start a dance to a Lupe track my boy needs to go viral
When WAV Files comes on I hit a combination of

qqsj28.jpg

And

fabo-shawty-lo-death-interview.gif

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I know this is sacrilege but i think Wave EASILY surpasses T&Y. Not that i didn’t like T&Y but Wave is a little bit more “accessible” in the sense that, even though there are a ton of double entendres and metaphors, the way he executes each song it can still be enjoyed at face value and still fits in to the concept
All valid points, and I don’t disagree. I’m just don’t like making those type of judgments on new albums. I want to see how it age. I think it will age well, but i’m going give it a little more time.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who knows, but I remember him saying he grew up on Ghostface in the Funkmaster Flex freestyle a few years back and he was bumping MF DOOM's Mm.. Food around the time he recorded Wave. As for Stronger, I just replied to someone else about it, maybe this'll help:

I hink it's best to step back to Haile Selassie and remember he abolished slavery in Ethiopia, which marks the end of the sinking slave ships portion, but mental slavery still exists in America and we haven't moved past the 2nd Selassie quote yet: "Then until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior, is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned. That until there no longer first class and second class citizens of any nation. Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes." Helter Skelter (Charles Manson's prophecy, which Lupe has previously referenced on Life, Death and Love From San Francisco) refers to an apocalyptic war (sign of the end times on Sun God Sam and talk of Armageddon on Mural Jr.) arising from this ongoing racial tension between black and white people and I feel the 1st verse touches on that, while also paving the way for the importance of a Kingdom over the king: "The constituency brilliant, but the candidates are stupid" This is also where the narrative of drugs ruining the children begins, but the ones profiting the most from this are the bail bond businesses getting small time drug dealers out of jail, while giant corporations like Coca Cola used to sell soda which contained cocaine: "What happens when the sugar barons meet the coca kings" To drive the point home further, the 3rd verse ends with more direct imagery of kings poisoning their own people: "Politics bring fevers to punish dealers, adjudicate the Jostens and stop the ring leaders, the Geese Howards (King of Fighters) and King Ghidorahs cook E in the family tree with sting keepers" Unsure about the last phrase, but I'm guessing it's using bees as a metaphor for a buzz/high.
Interesting. In regards to the last line I think its "Cook E in the family tree of esteemed dealers" As a reference to Cookie from Empire.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
He Say She Say as well...
Real is one of my favorite lupe choruses ever :banderas: "the game is not to give em nothin real
Nothin that they can use nothin that they can feel
give em a bunch a lies and teach em that it's real
so that's all they'll know, that's all that they'll feel" :wow: education system/propaganda summed up perfectly

Lowkey Gold Watch jumped up there too once i had my first foreign girl and could relate :lolbron: that shyt became 10 times wavier