Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I can't think of any off hand breh.
We should make a thread on our own thesis. nikkas KDot and Cole are surface level. Here comes Lupe and coli be crickets. Just big up the album but where’s the coli journalists?! We can’t just argue on hoes and roast each other lol.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
DW is dope. I still haven’t finished with CD 2. Is their any good videos or black journalist writing a good review/analysis of the concept?

DEHH Myke was diving deep into it during their review but the others really felt “lost” idk y because DW really is straight forward with its storytelling

Suspicions

All Star
Daps
The mic is relatively unimportant in the tracking chain, it's more about the acoustics of the room you record in. Common "workarounds" don't really work well either, mic shields for example give your vocals a "boxier" feeling due to the proximity of the reflections to the capsule so they don't work very well, especially if your delivery is on the louder end. You'd be much better off taking a bunch of sound blankets, some PVC pipe (or something similar) and building something like this:

AVB63-oneside-open1550-549x600-1.jpg

And even then, the frequency response is gonna be uneven and it will sound more "dead" in the midrange than it would in a properly treated room. This would be by far the cheapest way to record halfway decent rap vocals in an untreated room though, no matter what mic you're using.
Ok so there isn’t getting around using a real studio. Appreciate you

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Ok so there isn’t getting around using a real studio. Appreciate you

Yeah the sound of the room is by far the most important part of tracking (recording). No mic, preamp, interface, etc. will make up for that, and no mixing engineer can make a bad recording sound good. Lupe might've used a $100 mic but being that he's been in the recording industry for 20+ years I'm sure his living room isn't 100% untreated. Mic technique has a lot to do with getting a decent recording in an imperfect space though so to a degree, if you have perfect mic technique (and your delivery isn't very loud) you can somewhat get away with workarounds like mic shields.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
DW is dope. I still haven’t finished with CD 2. Is their any good videos or black journalist writing a good review/analysis of the concept?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

DIMES

Retired troll
Daps
Reppin
baby, that was the old me
From the biggest lupe stan who stopped listening after f&L 2…

I enjoyed this album. I’m pleasantly suprised.:ehh:

However, I’m about to go on a rant here…

Musically, I haven’t really connected with lupe since lasers. Or somewhere around the enemy of the state tapes.

Around that time period.

I feel like lupe lost his artistic / relatable side. As in, he doesn’t try to connect with the listener anymore. As if music just became a hobby or business to him. Not like an art you used to hear him take it. Idk if he’s become bitter or what…:jbhmm:

No more vulnerable tracks, soulful songs, or even silly lines. No more 1st person songs about himself. He doesn’t do any storytelling tracks anymore either. That makes me sad a bit. His imagery used to be top tier & he wasn’t using random big words like that before.

He’s gone into this super technical wordy rap mode & can’t switch it off. It feels like he takes every song now recently as a complicated rap drill. Tries to make each line as clever as possible. It’s not as natural like he used to be. Of course , he did used to flex his rap mode back then occasionally but now it’s just stuck permanently on. Add in a little social commentary. Boom. Album done. Repeat. That’s what I see now.

That’s how I feel & why stopped listening to his newer music. I miss the old lupe.:to:

End rant.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
From the biggest lupe stan who stopped listening after f&L 2…

I enjoyed this album. I’m pleasantly suprised.:ehh:

However, I’m about to go on a rant here…

Musically, I haven’t really connected with lupe since lasers. Or somewhere around the enemy of the state tapes.

Around that time period.

I feel like lupe lost his artistic / relatable side. As in, he doesn’t try to connect with the listener anymore. As if music just became a hobby or business to him. Not like an art you used to hear him take it. Idk if he’s become bitter or what…:jbhmm:

No more vulnerable tracks, soulful songs, or even silly lines. No more 1st person songs about himself. He doesn’t do any storytelling tracks anymore either. That makes me sad a bit. His imagery used to be top tier & he wasn’t using random big words like that before.

He’s gone into this super technical wordy rap mode & can’t switch it off. It feels like he takes every song now recently as a complicated rap drill. Tries to make each line as clever as possible. It’s not as natural like he used to be. Of course , he did used to flex his rap mode back then occasionally but now it’s just stuck permanently on. Add in a little social commentary. Boom. Album done. Repeat. That’s what I see now.

That’s how I feel & why stopped listening to his newer music. I miss the old lupe.:to:

End rant.

Someone I know called Lupe's latter part of his career a successful Canibus. I can't get it out of my head. :dead:

I don't see it as too bad, though. It seems less relatable in a broad sense, but Lupe probably just hunkered down on what he enjoyed most in his expression after label politics. He definitely deserves more flowers for not only making music that is audibly tasteful, but if one chooses to dive into the lyrics its another dimension to sift through.

I'd want another run of Fahrenheit type of music myself, but I realize the evolution of the artist and his placement now renders that mostly a dream. :francis: That isn't to say I don't like newer Lupe, but such is the route after one goes into the industry. How much of classic 50 Cent do people enjoy, over this new stuff? Kanye is the same. I'm just glad Lupe isn't devoid of all art, and - most importantly - he still values good writing at the expense of pop appeal. He is still a stellar artist, and I hope we get more overall.