erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
This is edging over pushas album the more I listen to it

I listened to several tracks multiple times in a row just to digest them.

Kiosk is a classic to me and after finishing I thought DOOM (rest in peace) would have been perfect on it
fukk, youre right. I can totally hear DOOM on this
:ohlawd::to:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wish they were lying in they raps :lupe:

I hadn’t listened to Bobby’s Hot Nikka in years. It came on yesterday and I’m surprised nobody feels like he snitched on them. I mean damn

And Truey on some hot nikka (hot nikka)
Like I talk to Shyste when I shot nikkas (what's good?)
Like you seen him twirl, then he drop, nikka (seen him drop)
And we keep them 9 millis on my block, nikka
And Monte keep it on him, he done dropped nikkas
And Trigger, he be wilding, he some hot nikka
Tones known to get busy with them Glocks, nikka

Like yooooo 😂 every dude he named is still doing real time

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched some reaction vids and the trend I’m seeing is Lupe’s winning over fans that either gave up at Lasers or found T&Y/DW too overwhelming. He’s bodying flows all day like it’s Enemy of the State again and the few concepts on here are easily digestible, closer to what he would come up with on the first 2 albums. That said, it’s still his most airtight writing next to T&Y and I think the quick turn around time is to thank for that. He’s pleasing both audiences again, cause if you really want to go digging, there’s plenty to unpack. Ms. Mural is the best example of that. You never need to understand the Joan of Arc subtext, it already succeeds as good storytelling on the surface and you can be satisfied with just that. Naomi is the only truly elusive/coded song on here as its messages of segregation and monetizing tragedy are buried under a fun, just shut up and dance (swing music) vibe. Kinda like Dumb It Down, I guess.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Watched some reaction vids and the trend I’m seeing is Lupe’s winning over fans that either gave up at Lasers or found T&Y/DW too overwhelming. He’s bodying flows all day like it’s Enemy of the State again and the few concepts on here are easily digestible, closer to what he would come up with on the first 2 albums. That said, it’s still his most airtight writing next to T&Y and I think the quick turn around time is to thank for that. He’s pleasing both audiences again, cause if you really want to go digging, there’s plenty to unpack. Ms. Mural is the best example of that. You never need to understand the Joan of Arc subtext, it already succeeds as good storytelling on the surface and you can be satisfied with just that. Naomi is the only truly elusive/coded song on here as its messages of segregation and monetizing tragedy are buried under a fun, just shut up and dance (swing music) vibe. Kinda like Dumb It Down, I guess.

I agree with the quick turnaround.

I watched a review with two guys, one was very irritating but he said something I agree with. He was comparing Lupe to Rakim and he pointed out that R never had more than 9 -10 songs on his first albums because when you’re that lyrically gifted it’s best to keep it concise.

That’s exactly why this project is so great. It doesn’t drag nor does it contain filler because it’s so short and focused

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree with the quick turnaround.

I watched a review with two guys, one was very irritating but he said something I agree with. He was comparing Lupe to Rakim and he pointed out that R never had more than 9 -10 songs on his first albums because when you’re that lyrically gifted it’s best to keep it concise.

That’s what exactly why this project is so great. It doesn’t drag not does it contain filler because it’s so short and focused
Ah, I saw where that was going (if there was no that, there would be no this) quick lol and tapped out. And by quick turnaround, I meant that he only spent 3 days from concept to completion. Every album's development outside of The Cool spanned around 2-4 years (from oldest song to newest) and it was often gathering whatever songs he already completed and trying to make them work with new ones. It's not a bad approach, but it will be different than knocking everything out all at once. There's not enough time to overthink things and you have the cohesion of being in the same mind set for the whole album, on top of working with one producer.

But yes, it's concise as well. Not too short like House and not movie length like Wave either, just right. If he goes back to Samurai, I would expect something similar, maybe brighter production tho.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yeah for the “Lupe is too abstract/cryptic crowd to enjoy” the wind in their sails got took out

And like you said even Naomi is palatable for how smooth it is, and the lyrics aren’t super abstract. Only time I’d say he went Tetsuo mode on nikkas was the first half of his first verse on the title track

Now the narrative is the production is boring and Lupe shouldn’t rap over jazzy/boom bap/mellow production

It used to be Lupe shouldn’t work with anyone other than Soundtrakk. When you are as gifted and creative at writing as Lupe & Nas (not comparing the two head 2 head) there will never be a consensus on what production ppl want to hear them on

Cuz ppl have a certain image/attachment to a style that they once had although they’ve mastered formulating excellent songs with varying production

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I’m digging the first 4 songs so far, but is the mixing/mastering a little off or something? I was listening to Duke Deuce before this and there was a major contrast in clarity