Los Angeles school board votes to ban smartphones

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
They can get them some Obama type phones
This is really what needs to be done en masse. Kids under 16 should have dumb phones at most. Dial who you need to dial in emergencies and KIM
Majority of Obama/government assistance phones (which are smartphones nowadays) have unlimited data/minutes and unlimited internet connection with the capabilities to download apps these days so this perspective isn't a solution.

The kids would still be able to do what they do and it'd be going against this new policy. The kind of phones (non-smart/non-internet capable) you guys are talking about don't exist anymore.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Phones today are excellent cheat tools..imagine having these things for History, English, Geometry?

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
It's 2024, your cellphone is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

They can regulate use in class while the teacher is actively engaging, but ban them or take them naw. I want my child and I to have the ability to communicate at all times.
You sound like a helicopter parent. Kids went to school for decades without phones, a student not having their phone in math class will not harm them. If you need to communicate, send a message through the office. I would also say that 60% of the time that students are on the phone, they lie and say it’s a parent they are talking too.
Yea, you right. I'd say detention, but I've never seen a black school that has detention so my mind wouldn't even consider that lol.
Even worse, everyone wants to be “that nikka”, so they have about 2-3 phones on them, phones in their underwear, etc. We tried to implement one last year, and the students exploited it by taking their time to turn phones in, etc. and made us lose instructional time.

I will also say that I think it will help with instruction and focus because I am so tired of having a few students do the work and then screenshot it and airdrop it or share it with the rest of the grade. Or having to use ChatGPT to write 5 sentences about the American government.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
my neighbor was telling me about that game. Said all kids are obsessed. He tries to make him read a book every time he gives him money to pay for the game. It's hard to say if it's different than my era of Goldeneye, I think it is, because it was our interactions with each other, AND the game that actually mattered. The game was the "excuse" for social interaction, in the same way playing basketball on the garage hoop everyday was. In the room together, all seeing the same screen, but connecting with each other in person. Arguing, clowning, fighting, eating together. Not just on a screen alone in the dark.

Yeah I think it was different from what we had growing up. These kids don’t even like games with narratives or stories but games that basically act as small social media hubs. I think at the end of it they’re building a relationship to the screen and the idea of a person being at the end of it. It’s so unhealthy it’s crazy. I’ll honest my kid since taking away her phone seems much happier and she is much more present. She was damn near suicidal with having her phone which is another reason I had to take it away

King

The black man is always targeted.
Bushed
Daps
This is fukking dumb.

How about actually improving the school system itself and routing funding from dumb ass admins who make decisions like this to actually giving students resources that are worth a damn.

100% of the BS you learn in school can be learned on Chatgpt. These schools, especially in LA, serve no value other than to prepare the black students to go to jail and for the non-blacks to police the black students in the state and managerial class.

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda
They should invent a device that cuts off the internet during class times, just the internet tho.
they can be it on in some areas like cafeteria, playground...

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
For what exactly? I wish we could geolock phones. Meaning the MOMENT you enter the school the phone locks down unless it's an emergency.

But outside of a shooting why do they need their phone when their focus should be school? We had phones back in the day, but they weren't anything like the ones now.
I don't see ANY benefit for having them in school, and I used to work with kids.
It's fine if they restrict use, but in 2024 and moving forward, your cellphone is a necessity. No different than having a checking account and a visa or debit card. Sure we could get by with cash in 1992, but it's 2024 now.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
It's fine if they restrict use, but in 2024 and moving forward, your cellphone is a necessity. No different than having a checking account and a visa or debit card. Sure we could get by with cash in 1992, but it's 2024 now.

Kids can't open bank accounts or Credit card accounts...there's a reason for that.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Don’t see nothing wrong

Get your kid a smartwatch just in case you NEED to text them, but other than that fukk it.