Los Angeles school board votes to ban smartphones

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
It's 2024, your cellphone is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

They can regulate use in class while the teacher is actively engaging, but ban them or take them naw. I want my child and I to have the ability to communicate at all times.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Not a parent, but I don't understand this need to be in constant contact during the school day.

They did not grow up that way.
They’ll make up some one in a million scenario as to why it’s important to have a phone at all times. Like breh, even if a school shooting happens, a phone ain’t saving your kid, and a ringer going off might be the thing to get them capped

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
This got posted on a local IG news page and I was shocked at the amount of black parents who were acting like it was a ludicrous idea. The main rebuttal was kids need cell phones for safety purposes. I get that angle but overall I think cell phones are more of a detriment to learning and not worth the trade off in the rare chance it's a mass shooting or something like that

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
The phones and online console gaming are why

No effort to get online

They never I stalled a game and couldn't play it because their PC did meet system requirements and it shows

growing up modding computer games def helped me with my current sys admin work :noah:

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Well, I get it but you don't know what dangers or alarming situations might happen inside school or outside the premises of the building where they may need their phone to call for help or contact their parents.

School shootings, predators, etc...school security guard ain't enough in the event something really dangerous happens. One of the reasons why child abductions on school yards aren't as high these days like it was back in the days (70s, 80s, 90s, etc) is because of the use of technology, specifically children having access to phones.

I wouldn't have banned them but maybe implement a system where other disciplinary measures are taken.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
You can blame a lot of factors and blame is maybe the wrong word

but the idea that social media/plus smartphones were just given to everyone as a "gift" for all ages, with no warnings, no restrictions, and just embraced by everyone from the top down ---and anyone who questioned it was "an old man" or whatever I think is one of the most impactful "decisions" on everyone, from my age range, to kids born in 2000.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I had to take my daughter’s phone a few weeks back…these kids are not ready. Hell most adults aren’t ready for it either but I seriously regret even entertaining it for years because her peers had iPhones and shyt. I really tried to be fair and slowly give her more access…mind you her shyt was heavily locked down, no social media, browser and she still found a way to fukk it up. That’s all she wanted to do is stare at her screen all day and she found some “boy” of Roblox…yeah fukk that give these kids flip phones with no internet.

my neighbor was telling me about that game. Said all kids are obsessed. He tries to make him read a book every time he gives him money to pay for the game. It's hard to say if it's different than my era of Goldeneye, I think it is, because it was our interactions with each other, AND the game that actually mattered. The game was the "excuse" for social interaction, in the same way playing basketball on the garage hoop everyday was. In the room together, all seeing the same screen, but connecting with each other in person. Arguing, clowning, fighting, eating together. Not just on a screen alone in the dark.

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
It's 2024, your cellphone is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

They can regulate use in class while the teacher is actively engaging, but ban them or take them naw. I want my child and I to have the ability to communicate at all times.

For what exactly? I wish we could geolock phones. Meaning the MOMENT you enter the school the phone locks down unless it's an emergency.

But outside of a shooting why do they need their phone when their focus should be school? We had phones back in the day, but they weren't anything like the ones now.
I don't see ANY benefit for having them in school, and I used to work with kids.