Los Angeles school board votes to ban smartphones

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

June 18 (Reuters) - The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education on Tuesday voted to ban smartphones for its 429,000 students in an attempt to insulate kids from distractions and social media that undermine learning and hurt mental health.
The board of the second-largest U.S. school district voted 5-2, approving a resolution to develop within 120 days a policy prohibiting student use of cellphones and social media platforms. The policy would be in place by January 2025.

"I think we're going to be on the vanguard here, and students and this entire city and country are going to benefit as a result," said board member Nick Melvoin, who proposed the resolution.
On Monday, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy called for a warning label akin to those on cigarette packages, citing what he considers a mental health emergency.
L.A. schools officials will consider whether phones should be stored in pouches or lockers during school hours and what exceptions should be made for students of different ages and pupils with learning or physical disabilities.

School officials will also examine using technology to restrict social media platforms and how the policy will address different types of devices such as smart watches.
Board member George McKenna voted against the resolution based on his concerns the policy would be too restrictive. Board member Scott Schmerelson also cast a "no" vote, saying it was unclear whether the ban would be during non-instructional time and who would enforce the policy.

"I think it's going to be a full-time job being the police of the phone," Schmerelson said.
Los Angeles joins a number of smaller school districts to ban access to phones or social media. Florida, with some 2.8 million public school students, last year passed a law requiring school districts to prevent student access to social media. Several other states have introduced similar legislation.
While the research on mental health risks remains incomplete, Murthy, the surgeon general, said the emergency was so apparent as to demand action.

Murthy cited a study in the medical journal JAMA showing adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media may be at heightened risk of mental illness, while referring to a Gallup poll showing the average teen spends 4.8 hours per day on social media.
The L.A. school district cited other evidence that cellphone addiction was linked to soaring rates of anxiety and cyberbullying.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
I honestly think people are addicted to their phones - like meth/heroin/nicotine.
That's on top of people being addicted to the internet.
not just something u think, people are for sure addicted to their phones, including myself.

I also think the internet and phones have made kids dumber and 10x more antisocial

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
8ug6zq.gif

Time to bring it back in an ironic but iconic fashion. I'm sure someone at a failing mall is dusting off some off beat Noikas as we speak to fill the void.​

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I hope it passes and goes to more schools.

People got along fine for a century plus not knowing what their kid was doing for 6-8 hours during school hours.

They don't even have to ban them, just keep them in lockers or a school bag while in class. We make this harder than it has to be.

If there's a mass shooter situation a turned on phone is liability.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This along with the surgeon general saying social media apps should come with warning labels. Hopefully we can realize what a detriment all this internet engagement causes
modern humans have all the information to know all this but they need Governments to play guardian for em.

take us for example...
can't get off racist twitter
can't get off compromised facebook
can't stay away from stupid divisive content

they can't write enough laws to save people from themselves. just because we can access and have things doesn't mean we have to. the modern human has no value for self control or discipline. but man do we love scapegoats and excuses

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
I hope it passes and goes to more schools.

People got along fine for a century plus not knowing what their kid was doing for 6-8 hours during school hours.

They don't even have to ban them, just keep them in lockers or a school bag while in class. We make this harder than it has to be.

If there's a mass shooter situation a turned on phone is liability.
Definitely. Don't ban them because that would make people mad, parents included. They should not be allowed in class though. Should be automatic suspension imo.