Lord of The Rings: Rings of Power TV Series - Season 2 (August. 29. 2024/Official Thread)

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
all that "respect the lore first" stuff makes sense in a vacuum but here we are talking about money, jobs, opportunities, roles, stars of the future.

if however "respecting the lore" is that important then they should do that but give the plaudits and the big money to some small part breh instead.

you see shuffling the money and opportunities around unequally is the real problem here.

Hence my statement of them giving black people our own shows which equates to opportunities for black actors. If we had our own things why would we need to be forcefully inserted into franchises and roles clearly intended for cacs. Black Superman, black Spider-Man…black this black that. Hell how about giving us original characters or improving the existing black characters that there is.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This shyt literally has never worked yet studios keep doing it. Ask yourself why.

There are black humans in LOTR, and brown colored hobbits. I'm sure some people would have still been mad if they were portrayed in the show, but to me throwing black elves and dwarves into the mix is a joke. If you don't want to respect lore, leave shyt alone IMO. Worse yet here when this is literally based on less than 200 pages from an appendix, about the least interesting age in the LOTR universe (second age).

The books and lore concept of race is more along the lines of species than our modern view (different color races, same species). Elves are a race. Dwarves are a race. Humans are a race. Etc. In that sense the story has always been about diversity in terms of working together to face common enemies, respecting each others culture, and even interracial sexual relations. I think that's a reason why it's one of the top 5 best selling books of all time, why they've been translated into every language, and why the films were smash hits. The themes and truths in the series resonate with people. Shoehorning a black elf into this just seems ridiculous to me.

And it's not just that issue. Why is Galadriel wearing armor and being a warrior? It's algorithm, focus group driven content.

Last edited:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This shyt literally has never worked yet studios keep doing it. Ask yourself why.

There are black humans in LOTR, and brown colored hobbits. I'm sure some people would have still been mad if they were portrayed in the show, but to me throwing black elves and dwarves into the mix is a joke. If you don't want to respect lore, leave shyt alone IMO. Worse yet here when this is literally based on less than 200 pages from an appendix, about the least interesting age in the LOTR universe (second age).

The books and lore concept of race is more along the lines of species than our modern view (different color races, same species). Elves are a race. Dwarves are a race. Humans are a race. Etc. In that sense the story has always been about diversity in terms of working together to face common enemies, respecting each others culture, and even interracial sexual relations. I think that's a reason why it's one of the top 5 best selling books of all time, why they've been translated into every language, and why the films were smash hits. The themes and truths in the series resonate with people. Shoehorning a black elf into this just seems ridiculous to me.

And it's not just that issue. Why is Galadriel wearing armor and being a warrior? It's algorithm, focus group driven content.
I find it extremely distracting when they stick every race that exists in these shows. Tolkiens universe reflects old Norse and English mythology, it’s not supposed to be a diverse world (at least not parts of it, eg the elf world or the shire). Westeros is the same, supposed to be the war of the roses

Diversity is a worthy goal but when you treat everyone as fungible you take away what’s special and unique for each collective group. It completely broke immersion for me when they had a bunch of different ethnicities in WoT when I’m pretty sure the inhabitants of two rivers have lived there for thousands of years

that said, I’m looking forward to this

Last edited:
Daps
Reserving my judgement for when the show actually air, but I'm ngl the cgi looks pretty bad.

Edit: As long as the writing is A1, we gucci. Raised by Wolves is an incredible show even tho the cgi is shytty lol.

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOTR is my favorite trilogy and one of the writers is a Black women who mentors a lot of Black screenwriters so I’m rooting for this show and I’m gonna support it